Nice day for a ride.....

Clydesdale CX wheels

I posted this over in the CX forum but to no avail. Thought I might try here, hoping that there are more Clydes with CX bikes.

Hi. Im looking to upgrade the wheels on my Norco CCX3 cyclocross bike. The stock wheels have been great but want something lighter. Im on a limited budget so can't afford anything too tricked out. The stock wheels are Alex Black Dragon rims on Formula cheapo hubs. Also, Im a clyde at 260lbs.
    FYI: The wheels on my 29er MTB are DT Swiss 350 hubs on M520 rims and they are fantastic clyde wheels, on my 3rd season with them and I still have not even taken a spoke wrench to them.

Any recommendations?

Thanks
    2011 Cannondale SL4 29er
    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fatbike

Formerly of Kent
    Is your bike equipped with disc brakes?

If so, how about some chinese carbon tubulars and DT 350s?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    What is the upgrade going to give you? If you've not mashed the wheels, then is it lightness you are after? What weight are the current wheels and what weight for something more bling that can still take your weight?
    I only ask this because the return you'd get is likely minimal and not needed yet as far as durability goes.

mtbr member
    After this season I'm going to lace some Pacenti TL28 rims to my SLX hubs. 36 spokes front and rear and should ditch a lot of weight compared to my current Velocity Chukker rim (weak and heavy). Definitely a wider rim but the smallest tire I plan to run is a 28mm tire for road commuting.

Nice day for a ride.....

Re: Clydesdale CX wheels

Quote Originally Posted by TooTallUK View Post
    What is the upgrade going to give you? If you've not mashed the wheels, then is it lightness you are after? What weight are the current wheels and what weight for something more bling that can still take your weight?
    I only ask this because the return you'd get is likely minimal and not needed yet as far as durability goes.
    The stock wheels have been great but the formula hubs are starting to get rough, especially the rear. Ive also thought about keeping the rims and lacing in new hubs and spokes. Maybe Ill just lace a set of tried and trud DT 350's onto the oem black dragons as they seem to be decent rims.

No carbon or tubulars for this guy.
    2011 Cannondale SL4 29er
    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fatbike

Nice day for a ride.....

Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    After this season I'm going to lace some Pacenti TL28 rims to my SLX hubs. 36 spokes front and rear and should ditch a lot of weight compared to my current Velocity Chukker rim (weak and heavy). Definitely a wider rim but the smallest tire I plan to run is a 28mm tire for road commuting.
    How are the SLX hubs working for you? I have not used a Shimano hub in ages and wondering how the current offerings hold up.
    2011 Cannondale SL4 29er
    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fatbike

mtbr member

I'm actually getting annoyed with my slx rear hub. Well the freehub assembly anyways. Not having luck with freehubs holding up well. They get noisy and get more play in them than I feel they should. I've cleaned and regreased my slx freehub body 3 times so far in 400miles. Now its not a nasty noise only if I pedal backwards, can't figure it out about everything feels fine otherwise even just free spinning. Thinking just got a bad freehub body on the wheelset that should have been rejected. Other than that it shimano cup and cone bearings in the slx hubs, maintain them and they hold up even to my 275 lbs beating the crap outta my bike.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

Nice day for a ride.....
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    I'm actually getting annoyed with my slx rear hub. Well the freehub assembly anyways. Not having luck with freehubs holding up well. They get noisy and get more play in them than I feel they should. I've cleaned and regreased my slx freehub body 3 times so far in 400miles. Now its not a nasty noise only if I pedal backwards, can't figure it out about everything feels fine otherwise even just free spinning. Thinking just got a bad freehub body on the wheelset that should have been rejected. Other than that it shimano cup and cone bearings in the slx hubs, maintain them and they hold up even to my 275 lbs beating the crap outta my bike.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
    The freehub body issues are the same that I was having when I ran Shimano years ago. Looks like things probably have not changed too much. The XT freehub bodies lasted the longest for me for some reason.
    2011 Cannondale SL4 29er
    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fatbike

mtbr member

Whats your budget and rear spacing?

Been on stans alpha 400s / ultegra hubs, 32 spoke/3x, brass nipples for about a year. Saved about a pound over stock wheels and are significantly stronger. Not the widest but they open up big tires ok. Tubeless tire offerings for cross are limited but getting better.

Can save even more weight on hubs if youve got the budget.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

Nice day for a ride.....

Im limites to about $300 at this point. Im leaning towards just replacing the hubs. 135mm with discs.
    2011 Cannondale SL4 29er
    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fatbike

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I'm 250lbs and have Bontrager Race Lite wheels and love them.

mtbr member

$300 would get you a real nice rear hub and pay for the rebuild - I would go that route if front isn't causing problems. Otherwise not looking at much of an upgrade unless you do your own build (and even then not so much with spoke cost).

Nice day for a ride.....
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexCuse View Post
    $300 would get you a real nice rear hub and pay for the rebuild - I would go that route if front isn't causing problems. Otherwise not looking at much of an upgrade unless you do your own build (and even then not so much with spoke cost).
    I do my own wheels so rebuild costs are a non-issue. I've been eyeing up a set of those circuis monkey hubs on eBay but am unsure of quality / durability.
    Also been thinking of buying a pre-built set of narrow rimed MTB wheels, but nothing looks like much of an improvement over what I already have that is in my budget.
    2011 Cannondale SL4 29er
    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fatbike

mtbr member
    Not sure how these rims are but it seems like a good deal considering the retail price of the hubs: DT Swiss 29er Mountain Bike Wheelset M520 Rim M350 6 Bolt Hubs [150255] - $269.00 Velomine.com : Worldwide Bicycle Shop, fixed gear track bike wheelsets campagnolo super record vintage bike. Could probably recoup some of that selling the rims.

Velomine usually has pretty good deals on wheelsets, but the fact that you want a narrower rim with disc hubs / MTB spacing makes it very likely you'd need to go custom.

Nice day for a ride.....
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexCuse View Post
    Not sure how these rims are but it seems like a good deal considering the retail price of the hubs: DT Swiss 29er Mountain Bike Wheelset M520 Rim M350 6 Bolt Hubs [150255] - $269.00 Velomine.com : Worldwide Bicycle Shop, fixed gear track bike wheelsets campagnolo super record vintage bike. Could probably recoup some of that selling the rims.

Velomine usually has pretty good deals on wheelsets, but the fact that you want a narrower rim with disc hubs / MTB spacing makes it very likely you'd need to go custom.
    Funny you should post that wheelset, I bought it from Velomine for my C'Dale 29er. They are fantastic wheels but the rims are a bit wide for CX style tires. They look to be worth it just to buy the hubs and sell the rims like your suggesting. If I laced up the 350 hubs to my Black Dragon rims it would be a pretty solid wheelset in my eyes.

It would be cheaper to buy Circuis Monkey or Novatech hubs but I already have some serious miles on the 350 hubs and know that they are solid performers. Looking like the route I'll take, thanks for your input.
    2011 Cannondale SL4 29er
    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fatbike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikin' Bric View Post
    Funny you should post that wheelset, I bought it from Velomine for my C'Dale 29er. They are fantastic wheels but the rims are a bit wide for CX style tires. They look to be worth it just to buy the hubs and sell the rims like your suggesting.
    What makes you say that? 35mm cross tires are working really well on my 26mm Velocity Chukkers and I really wouldnt mind going to something even wider like the TL28 mentioned in my earlier post.

mtbr member

Good point. I rode a rental with 25mm rims (HED ardennes) and road slicks the other week and the ride was a dream. They were probably real expensive, but I'd love to see what a rim like that does for cross tires. Getting a rim that width light and Clyde worthy has to be a challenge though.

Nice day for a ride.....

I regularly use 32c tires. Im worried how they would work on 26mm rims
    2011 Cannondale SL4 29er
    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fatbike

mtbr member

These tires were 23 or 25s. I'd expect the extra width to be an even larger advantage with cross tires, though it looks like this particular set of rims is pretty heavy. Maybe try some cross tires on the wheels you have to see if you like?