mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Clydesdale Class more competitive than age group

Here is a funny story that you guys might like.

Last weekend I did the San Jose Mountain Bike Sprint Triathlon.(swim 500meters bike 10miles, run a 5K)

The clydesdale class was much more competitive than the 199lb and less classes.

The winner of clydesdale actually would have gotten the 2nd fastest time overall out of 300 or so participants, but "Clydesdale was excluded from the rest of the standings" 2nd overall went to someone else.

The top 3 clydesdale finishers all would have finished 1st place in their respective age groups, for 199lb and less, but like before, clydesdales were excluded from the rest.

Amuses me.

(I got 4th in clydes,,,,, would have been 2nd in my age group, but my buddy also in clyde, and the same age group passed me with 3/4 of a mile to go in the run..... ) I do have to brag though... I had the 3rd fastest bike ride in the whole race out of everyone... and i was leading clydesdale and everyone under 40 after the swim+bike..... but i SUCK at running...

Oh well
    Hope you guys like the story of clydesdale dominating a whole event.
    I am a yeti addict, 8 in all:
    Currently built:
    ASR-SL, 575, DH9, Road Project, FRO
    Currently in Pieces:
    ASX, Lawill-6,ARC

mtbr member

Clydesdales are a class of their own.

First off, congrats on your finishing time.
    Your experience of the Clydes dominating on the short courses isn't unusual...we are by and large (no pun intended) a fast twitch muscle fiber grouping (type IIa and IIb). As a Clydes that performs in the Olympic and Long Course (1/2 IM), our rankings take a hit. Put that same group of Clydes from SJIT onto the Xterra NV course with 1900 ft of climbing with a starting point at 6500 ft above sea level and have them climb up to the flume loop....and our size penalty becomes overwhelming apparent.

On the flats, we can create more 'power" at the crank, but that power doesn't translate into climbing power. If SJIT had some actual hills, the spread on clydes vs age groupers would be far greater. Many of the slow twitchers are using SJIT Olympic as their spool up for the Summer race season.

Again congrats on being part of the domination. I bet we can all drink more beer after the events too..

See you at Xterra NV, it's a real challenge at the 200LBs plus range.

Suva
    "I would kill for a Nobel Peace Prize"

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I have never done xterra. It is cool?

Right now the only events i have registered for are Downieville CC and DH, and the Big kahuna 1/2 ironman.
    Currently built:
    Currently in Pieces:
    ASX, Lawill-6,ARC

mtbr member
    Xterra is cool....it's basically a 750 Meter swim in Tahoe, a 35k MTB ride up to and around the flume (some heart pounding climbing and views without the traffic) and a 3.5k run in the woods. Rarely do the Clydes that register actually show up.

If you're inclined to playing in the dirt, try Big Blue Adventures, they set up Adventure races...which include the MTB, Trail running, Kayaking and Orienteering...with a smattering of puzzle solving.....6hr and 12 hr race formats....they run them all over..from Sea Otter to Briones and several in Tahoe as well as a Xterra Tahoe at Tahoe City. Xterra NV runs out of Incline in late Sept.

As for Downieville, I have never ventured there...I'm a X-Country rider, no DH, and a former Track Cyclist, thus hang out with a TT bike for the Tri scene. My friends that have played there have all come back with a either a broken femur, collarbone (no kidding) or a bike in need of some serious TLC. Good luck there.

Big Kahuna...the water is warm enough to start without the wetsuit. I was surfing for 4 hours on the 4th and no wetsuit (my watch with temp told me it was 62-64 degrees)...amongst the plethora of rubber suited small people. The ride is an out and back....your biggest enemy is the routes ability to have a headwind both ways. The run...easy rolling and that predominant NW sea breeze becomes an asset....
    dehydration is always a possibility, but in Santa Cruz, you'll be less prone to cramp. I haven't done this event, been there as a supporter. In this length my favorite is Vineman...still trying to break my PR of 5:32.... Hopefully you aren't running a Yeti for the 56miles.
    Regards and good luck in sticking it to the small guy.
    Suva

mtbr member

Clydes can take the day

Xterra is cool....it's basically a 750 Meter swim in Tahoe, a 35k MTB ride up to and around the flume (some heart pounding climbing and views without the traffic) and a 3.5k run in the woods. Rarely do the Clydes that register actually show up.

If you're inclined to playing in the dirt, try Big Blue Adventures, they set up Adventure races...which include the MTB, Trail running, Kayaking and Orienteering...with a smattering of puzzle solving.....6hr and 12 hr race formats....they run them all over..from Sea Otter to Briones and several in Tahoe as well as a Xterra Tahoe at Tahoe City. Xterra NV runs out of Incline in late Sept.

As for Downieville, I have never ventured there...I'm a X-Country rider, no DH, and a former Track Cyclist, thus hang out with a TT bike for the Tri scene. My friends that have played there have all come back with a either a broken femur, collarbone (no kidding) or a bike in need of some serious TLC. Good luck there.

Big Kahuna...the water is warm enough to start without the wetsuit. I was surfing for 4 hours on the 4th and no wetsuit (my watch with temp told me it was 62-64 degrees)...amongst the plethora of rubber suited small people. The ride is an out and back....your biggest enemy is the routes ability to have a headwind both ways. The run...easy rolling and that predominant NW sea breeze becomes an asset....
    dehydration is always a possibility, but in Santa Cruz, you'll be less prone to cramp. I haven't done this event, been there as a supporter. In this length my favorite is Vineman...still trying to break my PR of 5:32.... Hopefully you aren't running a Yeti for the 56miles.
    Regards and good luck in sticking it to the small guy.
    Suva

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks for the info.
    Downieville is definitely nasty. Broke my wrist in the DH race 2 years ago and flatted. Flatted he DH 3 years ago, and in last year's CC I was just out of the cast for the 2nd surgery on the broken wrist and cramped really bad. Its brutal, but the rocks are a lot tamer than Northstar. I have ridden there dozens of times. Last weekend was training for the races, and I was rather pleased with my practice times.

I am totally going to run the Big Kahuna with my Yeti!, The "Road Project" Good aluminum frame road bike with some aero bars.
    Currently built:
    Currently in Pieces:
    ASX, Lawill-6,ARC