Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Chris Bling

Listen! Clydesdale approved rims. Please chime in

Hey Guys,

I was hoping that you would be able to help me out.

I am building a wheelset for a repeat customer and he has some needs that I am sure that one or more of you have had to address. He does not have the budget for carbon rims, so we are stuck with aluminum.

He wants a new wheelset that will hold up to his abuse on a hardtail. (Even of you have a full suspension, please chime in). He is north of 250 and pretty aggressive. That being said, he is quite smooth. He lives in Southern Utah which resemble Moab. Slickrock, chunk, aggressive conditions. His previous wheelset that he had on his Freeride bike were Mavic 729's and they have held up amazingly well.

He wants to lighten things up a bit without sacrificing durability. He wants something equally as strong as the 729 and will hold up to whatever he throws at it. I was thinking something like a Sun-Ringle MTX 33 or a Velocity Blunt 35.

I was thinking of doing a 36 spoke wheels as well.

What rims do you guys use and find to hold up well?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by dustyduke22; 12-15-2013 at 03:35 PM. Reason: more info
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    The Sun rims are very durable for a low price, if tubeless is not a concern I would seriously consider these. The Inferno rims only come in 32h which I think would be fine for a smooth 250lbs rider in Southern Utah (for the record I went to UNLV and took several trips to Gooseberry Mesa while there) with some nice 14/15 spokes.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

Chris Bling
    Thanks for your input.

I am sure that you are not the only person that have rims on their bike Hopefully more will chime in.
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I've not damaged Halo rims or Stans Flow rims and I ride lardcore - which is usually slightly beyond my own ability but the bike is more capable than I am!

turtles make me hot
    Flows or MTX33's.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Whisperer View Post
    The Sun rims are very durable for a low price, if tubeless is not a concern I would seriously consider these. The Inferno rims only come in 32h which I think would be fine for a smooth 250lbs rider in Southern Utah (for the record I went to UNLV and took several trips to Gooseberry Mesa while there) with some nice 14/15 spokes.
    thanks!

Z
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

beater

Clydesdale approved rims. Please chime in

I have had good luck with MTX-33s and Stan's FR (which are the rough equivalent of the Flow EX). I've also read good reports on some of the Pacenti offerings. I'd look there if tubeless is a consideration. If not, the Sun-Ringles.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Im 235-240 without my gear. I've had good luck w/ American Classic Terrain wheels. They're the budget version of their more expensive wheels, but seem to be stronger than their more costly versions. Their website even says they're recommended for the bigger stronger rider, and they use standard components, so there are no odd spokes or hubs to deal with. I'm not so sure about rim availability, however.
    "Everybody relax, I'm here." - Jack Burton

Ow!
    I build using only Mavic 819 and 823. While very strong (even the 819), they are heavy rims for the size, especially the 823. Mavic now has the 821, which, if looking for UST, may be pretty good (at least I am interested).

My favorite tube type is the Mavic 721. Decent weight and very strong. If too expensive, the 321 has a good rep.

But these are not equally as strong as the 729. I doubt there is much out there as strong as the 729 and weighs less. It is, after all, a DH rim.

Riding bikes since 1976
    I weight 275 (currently) and ride aggressive. I am currently using the Sun MTX33s on a 32 spoke "street" bike and 36 spoke ones on a AM type HT. No problem with the rims at all. Not the lightest by any means but tough.

Have used Halo Freedom Disc in 36 spoke. Very tough. Mis-timed a curb hop at 20 mph and broke the DMR rear hub axle, but only put small dent in the rim. Carefully smoothed it out and still use it as front wheel back up. But they are also heavy.

Tried a Blunt 35 in 32 spoke built up by an LBS friend. So tension was uniform, and brass nips, etc. Bent rim within 3 rides. Not impressed with them and the lack of eyelet rings is strange to me.

And I would forget about WTBs, whatever model. Have bent everyone I have ever had, even the "unbendium" models. The Alex DP20 I was given was stronger then the WTBs.

Chris Bling
    Thanks for the input guys. Going to go with the MTX33. I got a hold of my Sun rep and they still had a few pairs of the winter camo!! Ordered up a pair and will post some pics when I get them built.
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dustyduke22 View Post
    Thanks for the input guys. Going to go with the MTX33. I got a hold of my Sun rep and they still had a few pairs of the winter camo!! Ordered up a pair and will post some pics when I get them built.
    what is your hub choice?
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by zarr View Post
    what is your hub choice?
    He has had good luck with Hopes in the past so we are going to stick with that.

What hubs do you prefer?
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I just wondered if you used strong hubs...I hear hopes are good. I never used them though...I'm gonna use Shimano M529s on my upcoming 29er builds with Flows and Sun Inferno 27 and Sun EQ27 rims.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by zarr View Post
    Shimano M529s
    Junk hubs for a clyde.

Riding bikes since 1976
    M529...Junk Hubs for a Clyde
    Do tell, if in another thread/forum...
    Interested in reasons/experiences.

I have Deores laced to MTX33s, and hub only related problems. Any major paw damage results on the "Made For 29er Torque" able hubs on your ends?

Link if you got it.
    Last edited by Gear Head; 12-18-2013 at 01:48 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Well if you haven't had problems with Deore then you might be ok. Just not a durable hub for big guys. I've broken lots of XT freehubs and upgraded to 529 freehub and didn't really last any longer. Search around, lots of threads in clyde forum about shimano freehub destruction.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch1413 View Post
    Well if you haven't had problems with Deore then you might be ok. Just not a durable hub for big guys. I've broken lots of XT freehubs and upgraded to 529 freehub and didn't really last any longer. Search around, lots of threads in clyde forum about shimano freehub destruction.
    Sorry-I need to remember to post details in my replies more specifically sometimes I guess.LOL
    I haven't heard or read any bad reports about the m529 until now...although I'm sure they may not be suitable for everyone. As for me, at 61 years old and an amputee,(I lost my foot), they'll probably be fine 99% sure. I'll try harder to be more specific next time. Wouldn't want to misinform anyone. Take care.
    Z
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

Riding bikes since 1976
    ^^^^
    NO. I was feeling frustrated on my many key word combination searches. Maybe 15 hours worth... no Boolean searches on MTBR.

I apologize to OP.

Link me please.
    Last edited by Gear Head; 12-23-2013 at 11:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Not sure how I can search for "shimano freehub" but you can't.

Here's one link
    I need a Clyde-proof rear hub/freewheel!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I guess it comes down to how hard and what trails a person rides.
    I picked up some Diatech sealed bearing rear hubs listed on ebay for 15 bucks a pop a while back...
    They are heavy...I have no idea about their longevity, just took a chance cause they were cheap. There again...they're prolly good for me personally because I don't ride hard. I also have some Deore 525 rear hubs which are known to be weak especially for 29ers. I'm gonna use them on some 26er builds. Mainly, I wanted the OP to know not to use 525's when I replied on this thread. I'm gonna need a 12x142 hub for my GT Sanction 3.0 2009 build eventually...prolly just use whatever fits.LOL
    More avenues are open for weak old riders like myself.LOL
    My buds tell me I'm great regardless just to be out there riding period...and I agree. I'm just glad I know about our sport.
    -Z
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    I got the WTB i23, they look pretty tough

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dustyduke22 View Post
    I was thinking of doing a 36 spoke wheels as well.
    In my opinion this will have more effect in rim stiffness and durability than the difference between a beefy rim from brand X compared to a beefy rim from brand Y. I'm sure your wheels will be just fine no matter what reputable rims you happen to choose.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 0351 View Post
    I got the WTB i23, they look pretty tough
    mmmm...they started out good it seems, but according to some posts in this thread, problems developed on the 7000 series version of this rim/wheel.
    Read down from post #8 on this page. I may not have gotten the whole scoop, so read carefully. From what I heard, WTB will stand behind their products though.

WTB Frequency i23 AM wheelset: alternative to Flow rims
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast