mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Clydesdale approved carbon bars?

I moved my parts over from an XC bike to a Stumpjumper Evo frame and want some wider bars to fit the more trail/AM environment I'm riding in.

I'm thinking 60-70mm stem and carbon bars in the 700-750mm range.

Any suggestions? Easton? Enve? Are my size choices bad?
    Last edited by Alias530; 01-26-2014 at 06:21 PM.

mtbr member

I bought these bars a few weeks ago and they're very comfortable. And very cool looking!!!

Bikes I currently have. 2014 Trek Fuel EX 8 29er. 2013 Trek Mamba 29er.

mtbr member
    Easton Haven product is totally Clyde compliant. As long as you stay away from the weight weenie product you should be alright.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member

Any carbon bar 730mm+ will be fine.

I had the whiskey carbon bars. I preferred more rise. Went to diety carbon bars. Either are great.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I've heard of crank bros breaking. Leaning towards Easton or enve

do you mean 730+ because they are proportionally correct for a Clyde or because that size bar is inherently for AM applications and will be stronger?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    I've heard of crank bros breaking. Leaning towards Easton or enve

do you mean 730+ because they are proportionally correct for a Clyde or because that size bar is inherently for AM applications and will be stronger?
    I said 730 cuz that's kinda where AM starts size wise.

I think everything crank brothers makes is junk so I wouldn't go that route..

To be honest I rode the whiskey bars for 2000 miles before I got a chance to change and it took 10 feet to know I need a riser bar to feel comfortable on my bike..

The set up in my honest opinion is more important than material. I switched from carbon to alum diety bars.. Saw no difference in dampening. Then a buddy wanted my alum ones for a set of wider carbon diety. The width is where the comfort comes for me. The carbon vs alum doesn't apply to me I guess..

I'd look at spank 777 bars. They have a lot of colors and rise options.. Diety cz am bars. Whiskey carbons. Anvil bars. Azonic has some sweet looking new bars on Jensen that look amazing if you lik blue or red.

Find one that fits.. And then get some nice grips..

As far as stems diety has some sick ones as well as spank. If you want to go cheap there are some good value priced 30-50mm stems on Jensen..

How tall are you and what size frame are you riding? That will help us recommend a good set up. Then price is all determined by how light you want these parts to be.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    6'6", XL

thanks

mtbr member
    Jeez.. That's 3 inches on me. I'd say 50-70mm stem with a 760-800mm bar. Unless you are riding in a super tight area.. The wider bars will feel weird but after 1 ride you will love them.. Especially when climbing. Depending on how much head tube you have left you might need to get a riser bar. It will move your position upright and allow a more comfortable ride when pedaling in the saddle.

Just my opinion.. If your have a good bike shop I'd hit them up and see if you can try a couple set ups.

Getting it right the first time will save you a lot of time and money and save your back.

Workin for the weekend!
    Easton anything is plenty strong. Havocs are wide and tuff.
    Todd

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Currently using the parts of my XC bike which I know the stem is 110mm and I think the bars are probably 680mm. They're fine but I probably just don't know any better. My back gets sore by the top of longer climbs but I don't know if it's the bike or a weakness in my flexibility.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    Currently using the parts of my XC bike which I know the stem is 110mm and I think the bars are probably 680mm. They're fine but I probably just don't know any better. My back gets sore by the top of longer climbs but I don't know if it's the bike or a weakness in my flexibility.
    A shorter stem will help eliminate the back pain. My Mamba had a 110mm stem and I felt all stretched out until I put a 70mm on it. Now my back is much better.

Bikes I currently have. 2014 Trek Fuel EX 8 29er. 2013 Trek Mamba 29er.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I used to get awful back pain on my road bike, almost to the point I gave up cycling... my LBS had a 110mm stem on hand that they gave me for free and that helped a lot, but I still want a little bit shorter. The factory stem was 120mm so I can imagine that if 10mm made such a difference that more would be great.

mtbr member
    Im riding FSA carbon bars at 230lbs geared.. no flex, but great vibration absorption. and I picked it up on ebay for like 60 bucks
    Rockhopper 29er

-FSA Carbon handlebars, stem, & seatpost
    -2011 Rockshox Reba
    -Stan's Flow Wheelset
    -Ergon Grips

turtles make me hot
    How about Thomson?
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I ran the Easton Monkey Lites on my AM bike for several years with no issues and I'm now running Truvativ Noir bars on my HT 29er with no issues. I weight 215lbs, hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Went with Easton Haven. Thanks guys.

I hope they're wide enough when matched with 60mm stem... kind of wishing I had gone with the Havoc's so I could have trimmed them shorter if I needed, can't add material to something too short!