mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Clydes that are weight lifters, have a question

Hey, i am still pretty new to trail riding, so i still get pretty sore, even though i work out regularly.

when should i incorporate my leg workout, day before, day after, is it okay to do the same day? waht do you guys do and how does it impact your riding performance

AZ
    banned
    I dont know about others but I do a leg workout and then do a very easy ride spinning little gears just to keep the blood circulating .

Fat guy on a bike
    I would wait till the day after riding, and ride at least on the second day after lifting. You need recovery time for both.

mtbr member
    Just remember that if you are lifting weights AND riding you could run into over training issues if not careful. I used to lift weights and I ride now but I never did both at the same time so I am not sure the answer. I would listen to your body. Do you ride everyday. I agree that you should skip days in between. I am lucky that my legs are my easy to respond body part and I don't have to lift as riding alone makes them huge.

mtbr member
    Just get as much time in between the two activities as possible. The more recovery time the better. If you can wait 48 hours wait 48 hours. If you have to do both on the same day then lift in the morning and then ride in the afternoon or vise versa. I tend to like weights prior to sporting activity as opposed to after because I feel that running, jumping, cycling takes more away from weightlifting than does weightlifting from whatever activity I need to do.
    Retribution Fitness: Strength, Power, and Purpose
    General fitness workouts posted daily.

mtbr member
    I agree biking takes more away from lifting. I've never wanted to go to the gym to lift after biking. I've mtn biked after lifting and I hated myself for it on the uphills. I say don't do both in one day even if you are a weekend warrior. If I know I'm biking the day after the day I lifted I always do some kind of upper body workout. I agree with the suggestions. Wait at least 2 days between a heavy leg workout and going biking. Make sure to replenish the muscles.

Disgruntled Peccary
    I lift and run on the same days... I just don't do a lot of leg weight on long run days (I'll do some light hack squats to get the blood pumping again, maybe some calf presses but that's it) I'd do legs on your off day bike wise.

edited cause that did not make sense.
    Last edited by dysfunction; 09-02-2009 at 10:34 AM.
    mike

Omaha Clyde
    Mar 2009
    I lift 4 days a week, run 4 days a week, and usually commute to work 4 days a week. My legs are pretty shot by the end of the week, but the key for me is to listen to what my body is telling me. If my legs are shot i take it easy that day.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    gotcha guys, i'll lift chest tomorrow, i rode today

mtbr member
    I found that with heavy lifting like squats that my legs got too tight to ride very well. It took a couple of weeks for them to loosen back up again. I can do light leg extensions w/ high reps and work my calves without it affecting my riding. I do try to give my legs some rest between riding and lifting. I sometimes do chest or arms on the same day I ride but only before I ride because I'm too drained afterwards.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    yeah I too do a light leg workout on the days that I know i'm gonna hit the trails. Went hard one time and I payed for it on every incline!

Tessai4

Not an O2 thief.
    Feb 2004
    I have some great success incorporating weight training into my "program". I put that into quotes because I stopped "training" about 3 years ago, but I still seem to be racing quite well.

I only lift from Sept. thru May as I'm a school teacher and spend the summer in an RV doing sweet races. I have a squat rack with olympic bar and I do dead lifts, back squats, heel raises,large muscle core exercises, and high rep dumbell upper body stuff when I'm lifting. I try to lift 3 times a week. I still ride my bike to work every day and it's a good 40 minute ride back home because it's mostly uphill. It does start to wear on me after a while...about the time I get Thanksgiving break and then I do nothing but ride because I'm back in the rv going someplace cool to ride. Then I go big again on the lifting and get a break at Christmas....to do more riding. Same for the spring and spring break. If I have a race on a weekend, I'll lift only 2 days that week to give myself more rest. Read some books about it. Weight Training for Cyclists is a good one and Friel's mountain bike training book has a good section about weight training.

I can't believe I just shared all this info on the internet. Oh well. I need to start being less selfish.
    Roll over the weak and bunny hop the dead!

Blog this...!

El Paso Puzzler 35 or 50 miler

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I lift M, W, & F; bike T, Th, Sat, & Sun. Leg workouts on Wed and an easy ride with low intensity Thursday. My Tuesday and Thursday rides are between 10 and 12 miles. I'll throw in some sprinting on Tuesday. Sat and Sunday are for longer rides; one day road and the other Mt. bike.

You wanna go ridin?
    Mostly ride easy on leg days but occasionally I will let it rip on the trails and maybe take next day off. I like to mix it up quite a bit-keep the body guessing and not get stale with the same routine over an over again.

ss= 800 lb. gorilla
    Jan 2009
    i have done legs the same day i have ridden, and i do pretty good, just need 2 stay hydrated so i wont cramp up. the only thing is on the days i do both, i dont hammer the hills like i normally would do, but i do not shy away from riding, b cuzz i find if i force myself 2 go, even 4 a little while, u do b come a better athlete. you kinda turn the heat up on yourself a little, like forced reps in the gym. remember, if you want 2 get better at anything, athetically, u should not always be in the "comfort" zone. break through the barriers, and u will become as good as u wanna be

mtbr member

Listen to your body

Weightlifting / body builders are one of the only sports where they alternate their muscles to let them "recover" before training them again. And, yes, the muscle needs rest to recuperate and repair the minor tissue damage incurred during lifting. With that said, every other sport does their sport daily...swimmers, football players, runners, even cyclists train the same muscles every day. They just vary intensity and duration during alternate workouts.

I do Crossfit for my workouts and they recommend doing their workout of the day then performing in your sport later in the same day. Crossfit adheres to the three on / one off theory and the three days of workout are often all body and cover every muscle each day. Your body will adapt to this extra work load.

I have found it's what you do with your recovery time that's the most important. Nutrition is the key to everything. And of course, listen to your body. If you're too sore or tired, take a rest day. Simple as that.
    Contrary to popular belief, Pomeranians do not hail from Pomerania.

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    After my leg days I just about need a wheelchair to get from the gym from my car. No way I could ride the same day.

ALWAYS have at least one off day during your week, it is actually beneficial because your muscles have to recover to get bigger.

How is your nutrition? Lifting burns through glycogen stores faster than ANYTHING else. No glycogen forces your body to run on bodyfat, which is less effective, so avoid it unless your goal is cutting bodyfat. If you are going to ride after lifting, get some carbs in your system, not just protein!

I am willing to carry some extra mass up the mountain. I feel and look better when I am lifting.

ss= 800 lb. gorilla
    Jan 2009
    i guess it depends on what u r doing that particular day. if i plan on a hard ride, i will only do a light work out, like just extensions and hamstring curls, but no squats or any leg presses, heavy stuff like that. i find, believe it or not, that i seem 2 have a harder time when i ride if i do my UPPER body first. i have a tuff time when my chest is tired, my arms fatigued, shoulders, etc. i have a hard time controlling the bike, get all spazzy, if u will, lololol