Thread: Clydes in trees

mtbr member

Clydes in trees

Ok, maybe it's just me but when I try to squeeze my 6'7" frame, huge bike, and wide shoulders through the tight trees on a group ride I end up with bruised shoulders. Anyone else have the same problem?

How many of you wear shoulder armor? Suggestions for some that's more XC style (light, breathable, etc)?

The good news is that we can use our size (and 29" tires) to an advantage in the rocks and to keep momentum on the smaller hills. Typically on a group ride I lag a bit on the longer climbs and then once I start rolling over the top catch right back up.

29 some of the time...
    Nope, best advice I can say is to memorize the location of the tight squeezes and give yourself a bit more time to get through them. I have hit/bumped trees in the past, but most can be avoided by checking speed. If it is to the point where the trail is narrower than 28in tree-tree, then it may be time to suggest a re-route on those sections. Not like the problem will be getting any better with time
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    A regular occurance for me...shoulders are always smashed up. I have been trying different approaches to the tight spots this year, when I ride alone, and seeing if I can get through without smashing myself up. I have found that I need to stop, go throught the trees slowly then try and apply my position, bike angle and body english to the faster ride. I seem to be getting better at sliding through the holes unscathed; most of the time. I did land in the bushed a month ago during a race because I was going to slow due to a hold up in front of me, and I couldn't get through "just right".

mtbr member
    I've only gotten some light bruising so far, but I definately have to slow down and wiggle through some spots. I'm really surprised I haven't torn any shirts yet.

Lunatic Fringe
    Can't say that I've ever hit a tree before...

NMBP
    I carry a folding saw with a 5" blade. I trim the trail to fit me.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

I'll take you there.
    Mar 2009
    I have this problem all the time. Shoulder to shoulder I'm a refrigerator. The trails are not built for eastern European neanderthals.

Armor only makes me more bulky.. and I have thought of only one solution. You'll need a combination of the following:

AND

PS: No, that cant be Jeff Foxworthy?
    Be excellent to each other.

Hoopy Frod
    Jun 2009
    I've been known to be found dragging a sapling or two behind me... Practice your track stands and turning while you're stopped... Makes you more nimble in these slow spots giving you better control coming out, and more speed IMHO.

Freelance Whatever

I used to hit the trees HARD...

but then they started testing at work..

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    +1 on practicing track stands suggestion.

I've gotten reasonable good at getting through tight spots, though some clyde shoulders are wider than mine.

I tend to brush trees on the inside of turns, but I guess that's different.

I'll take you there.
    Mar 2009
    What, nobody likes my idea of a Wetsuit and Crisco? .. I can already hear the animal-balloon-maker-like sounds one would produce as they squeegee between the trees at 20mph.
    Be excellent to each other.

My Brain Hurts!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Red
    What, nobody likes my idea of a Wetsuit and Crisco? .. I can already hear the animal-balloon-maker-like sounds one would produce as they squeegee between the trees at 20mph.

As to my suggestion for the tight squeezes, maybe this song lyric will help....

"..and the trees are all kept equal, by hatchet, axe and saw..."
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Yeah...I've removed the bark off of more trees than I care to admit. Never thought about wearing XC amour though. I tend to use my brakes alot and adjust my approach.

Just My $0.02,

Tessai

rock crusher
    Aug 2008
    Try this trick:

As you near a squeeze spot, take care to line up one of your shoulders to within an inch or two of the trees/rocks that you are squeezing through. It is easier than trying to get both sides right. Doing this, you will likely roll right through.

I wear two thongs
    I got a 661 pressure suit because I got sick of banging my shoulders. Sure I sweat more, but sweat dries alot faster than cuts/bruises heal. I'm so used to riding in them now I hardly notice them anymore. The only drawback is its just one more piece of equipment to lug around with you and have to clean.
    Hiking is just walking where its okay to pee... Sometimes old people go hiking by accident. -Demetri Martin-

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch
    Try this trick:

As you near a squeeze spot, take care to line up one of your shoulders to within an inch or two of the trees/rocks that you are squeezing through. It is easier than trying to get both sides right. Doing this, you will likely roll right through.
    Hey, now that's a great trick and makes sense!