Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Clydes on Singlespeeds

6', 210lbs in my birthday suit. Got hooked on Singlespeeds this summer and it's all I currently ride (I have a 1 x 10 parts kit just in case the feeling fades).

From bikes
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    I'm on 2010 Kona Unit, thinking about getting a Surly KM in the spring though. Nothing says full commitment to single speed like $400 single speed hub!

Ghisallo Wheels

I'm really good looking.

FKA Malibu412
    Nice bikes above.

6' 7" and 230. VooDoo Soukri. Singled in the pic but currently 1 X 9. Switching back soon...maybe.

"I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

Oh Yeah Baby
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Whisperer View Post
    6', 210lbs in my birthday suit. Got hooked on Singlespeeds this summer and it's all I currently ride (I have a 1 x 10 parts kit just in case the feeling fades).

What gear are you running on your singlespeed?

Ah, the feeling never fades .....
    Misfit Psycles diSSent

mtbr member
    Hell, I'll join in. 6' #215
    Here is mine again, 34/18 setup. SS for ever.
    RM Vapor
    Access XCL 9r

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shocker99 View Post
    What gear are you running on your singlespeed?

Ah, the feeling never fades .....
    I run 32/21...like a lower gear and I'm quite good at keeping momentum on descents even without a suspension fork.

Blog

mtbr member
    I don't really ride anything else (have a 1x10 cyclocross bike I ride on the road and occasionally on singletrack, and an old MTB converted to a 1x9 that mostly gets trailer pulling duty). Once I get either of those bikes onto the trail I basically stay in one gear anyway so why bother with the distraction/risk of failure.

Currently riding a karate monkey, I doubt that will change until I can swing a custom SS-specific frame. 32t chainring with 19/20/22 freewheels. Will probably tinker with gearings more once I start riding my new wheels that have a cassette type SS hub. Just don't know when I will start riding them, since my flows make for a good almost-fat wheel that is great in the winter snow and slop.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Hi folks,

I don't have a current woods single, but my olde 1X1 from '99 is still going strong as my commuter. I recently built a street (Scorcher) style single for the road from an old ibis mojo. Both are set up for the flats around here 42/16 and 48/16.
    Best Hubs IMHO for Clydes are Paul W.O.R.D. Hubs, mine have been on the 1X1 from the beginning and are still going strong (on the ibis now). Bonus is a dishless wheel wich holds true even with 32 spokes and a 240+ rider!

Cheers and happy trails

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexCuse View Post
    so why bother with the distraction/risk of failure.

Currently riding a karate monkey, I doubt that will change until I can swing a custom SS-specific frame.

You just nailed my setup to a tee. I'm rolling a KM that's been SS (mtb), SS (street), 1x9, 3x9 and now SS (mtb) again. Every so often I ponder putting gears on it. Each time I come to the conclusion I'd rather ride my bike than work on it, so I should keep it simple.

having said that, I've been trolling custom frames lately. Amnesty for honesty, I might get a geared frame based on the thought that a $2k frame will be something I'm going to ride until I get old - so I'd best get gears.

B.Ike
    6',230#. I've got a ss (32/23), and a geared ht. I ride the ss mostly on solo rides and the geared bike with buddies.

mtbr member
    285 here on a diSSent. 32/21. Just rode today for the first time in months and it kicked my ass.

Freshly built...

First time on the trail...

After today's ride...

mtbr member

Clydes on Singlespeeds

Clydes on Singlespeeds-imageuploadedbytapatalk1361372959.265802.jpg
    215 / 6'1"....Civilian Luditte with upgrades including Stans Arch wheelset, Niner flat top carbon bar, Easton Haven carbon post, Odi lock on grips.....Nothing better than a rigid single speed to drop the pounds and kick your a$$ into shape! It's now my primary ride. Peak weight was 245 lbs. a few years ago. Now down to 215......32/18 gears
    Last edited by borbntm; 02-28-2013 at 06:03 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    6'5" and 256lb... Riding a Singular Swift...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Clydes on Singlespeeds-photo4.jpg  

Lord Thunderbottom
    6'1" 250# Trek Sawyer 35/20

mtbr member
    Small updates to my SS, went with a Surly front ring and no bash. Also a different saddle. The bike is getting pretty much dialed for fit and rideability. The 2Bliss tires on the TCS rims are awesome, I can run my PSI in the low 20's with zero burping issues.

Blog

mtbr member
    Just noticed I hadn't contributed any pictures to this thread. After coming to the realization that my flow/surly wheels were probably heavier than I need, had a sweet set of arch EX's built up with a cassette type hub (DT 240s) - I'm really liking the cog vs freewheel setup so far. Next step is to lose the brake cable housing for black (thought I was getting green) and remove the rest of the stickers. I have a couple new forks on the way to play with too but here it is as it stands currently:

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I have a single speed but my knees hurt badly when I ride it. 6'/325 lbs.
    Do you think if I drop some more pounds this will go away, or am I doing something wrong?
    It's a Red Line Monocog with Phil Woods hubs.

mtbr member
    I'm sure dropping weight is pretty rarely a bad thing for your knees, but it sounds like a fit issue to me. I guess I could imagine singlespeeding being a bit harder on the knees though, especially if you're running a tall gearing. What gearing are you running currently?

If you're running a tall gear I would try a gearing change first, then look for setup problems. you have a geared bike that doesn't cause you the same knee pain, I would take a look at differences in geometry (especially seat position relative to the crank), crank length, and how far apart your feet are on the pedals (is this what q-factor means?). A friend of mine had knee pain when riding his road bike, but not his mountain bike, and ended up getting some longer stems for his pedals, which ended up spacing his feet out a bit more. He said this helped a lot, maybe you have a similar issue. If your geared bike doesn't cause similar pain you could switch pedals and try it out pretty easily.

mtbr member
    @Midtown: First thing I would try to get rid of knee issues, is finding the right saddle height. Often it's to low. The second is gear ratio. On a singlespeed you need to spin fast most of the time wich often feels unnatural to somebody who isn't used to it.

I 've had a lot of knee issues myself, after major knee surgery I started cycling for rehab, which also made me aware of the slightest changes in my saddle position (slipping seatpost anybody...). After that was fixed and I dialed in my saddle position VERY high, I never really had any issues ever again. Except when I try to push a gear that's way to much for a longer period.

By the way, this is what I'll be riding on the roadie stints this summer:

ibis mojo from 1996 in original teal green paintjob! This was my geared rig back in the days and was converted into a street single this winter.

Cheers
    Daniel
    Last edited by huhue; 03-04-2013 at 10:09 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    ^Diggin the old school Ibis.
    I started riding my SS to the gym 4 days a week and started to develop knee pain. I was running too tall of a gear 32/14 but figured I would be fine because most of the ride is on asphalt, but apparently it was putting too much pressure on my knees. I switched back to my 32/18 gear and my knees are cool now.

Now I know why most guys prefer to "spin" instead of mash.
    Pedaling Gorilla

mtbr member
    Yepp,
    the only reason I get away with 48/16, is the relatively flat area I live in, the only "hills" we have are very short (100-500yds) and usually rideble with a little more pressure (or out of the saddle on bad days). But I think for all around riding I'll change to 17 in the back, to ease headwind situations...

Cheers
    Dan

Sleek Jamis Exile Rider

Clydes on Singlespeeds

6'2" 235. Riding a jamis 26" exile ss. I push 32x16 and today going to put at least 18t rear cog on and new chain. Maybe even get a 33t chainring too.

Is this thing on?
    225 here, I built up a Santa Cruz Chameleon as a SS and love it. I'm running 32x20. I started with 34x18 but it was brutal to climb on. That's what I get for listening to my Cat 1 buddies. Now it's about right for most places, not easy but I can turn the pedals without my knees exploding. Its making me stronger and hopefully faster on my 29er.
    Clydes on Singlespeeds-pacifica01.jpg
    The top of Montara Mt in Pacifica

Clydes on Singlespeeds-cam02.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    6'2" around 280lbs. I ride an el mariachi and a bianchi san jose. I had a se stout but it just sits in my garage right now. Im considering building it up as a drop bar ss29er commuter. here are a couple pics.
    Clydes on Singlespeeds-ss2.jpgClydes on Singlespeeds-ss1-large-.jpg

rock crusher
    Aug 2008

Coconino Cycles Custom SS 29er

6'9" and 230 here. This is my Single Speed whip:

24.5 ST, 27.75 ETT, and a 68.5* HA, 750mm bars. It is a custom built Coconino Cycles creation in custom drawn Tru-Temper steel. The color is Vermillion.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Clydes on Singlespeeds-coco-desert.jpg  

Clydes on Singlespeeds-coco-desert-2.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast