Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Clydes running Tubeless

868 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  mtnbiker72 
#1 ·
I just purchased a Hope Pro 2 / Mavic 818 wheelset. I was running 25psi front and back on non-ust nevegal 2.1s. I back burped twice going around turns. I weigh 225 plus 15lbs of gear and water.

Andy clydes running 819 tubeless.

What PSI do you run front and back?

I'm planning to bump up to 2.35s.

#2 ·
Been running non UST....

tires on ust and tubeless ready type rims for a while now. I'm currently running a set of Conti Mountain King 2.2s on the hard tail and a set of Nevigal 2.1s on the FS bike. 25psi sounds a bit low for your weight and a non ust tire. You'd likely get away with it running usts but then have to live with the weight penalty. I weigh about 230lbs geared. I run my pressure between 30 and 35psi depending on terrain and have had no problems. I can go as low as 28psi with the Nevegals but it doesn't make that much difference in performance. Anything much below that and I've found that the tires start to become unstable, i.e. the sidewalls start to flex quite a bit in turns. I've also found, and this is esspecially true for clydes like us, that a regular tire run tubeless will usually require 3 to 5psi more to remain stable, not burp, etc. than you can get away with using the same tire in a ust version. This is due primarilly to the overall heavier construction of the ust tire.

Now if you step up to a 2.3 tire you'll likely be able to run them a bit lower. The higher air volume of the larger tire may allow for it. But I've also found the a larger tire will be more supple than a narrower tire at the same pressure. A 2.3 nevegal will feel quite a bit different than a 2.1 at 30psi.

Anyway, the primary advantage of running tubeless isn't necesarilly being able to run super low tire pressures. It can be an advantage but only up to a limited point for clydes. The two biggest advantages are the elimination of pinch flats and a drastic recuction in puncture flats. I used to have to run 35 to 40psi (sometimes higher) to prevent pinches, and puncture flats were about an every other ride occurance. Not anymore! :thumbsup:

My recommendation would be to bump the pressure in your 2.1s a bit. Maybe 28 to 30psi and see how that does. Once you get your 2.3s start at 35psi or so then start downward in 2 to 3psi increments. I think you'll find the sweet spot for the non ust nevegal run tubeless to be somewhere around 28 to 32psi range. But do keep in mind this is considering your weight only. Other factors can have an influance as well, riding style, terrain, etc.

Good Dirt

#3 ·
I'm with squash here :)
Gotta keep enough air in there to allow the tire to maintain it's form under cornering loads.

I have never been able to run less than 30psi in a tubeless tire. Maybe I corner late or lean too hard into them, I also do drops and jumps. Regardless under 30psi and I will burp the tire. A good ust tire I can run at 35psi, but typically I run at 38-40psi. Despite that sounding high it actually feels good. UST or converted tires are more supple, even at higher pressure.

On a hard tail that I had converted using ghetto tubeless I actually ran 50psi and it rolled rocks and roots better than 35lb with a tube in it.

I don't know. I think it is simple. Add pressure until you stop burping the tires. Take note. Also, bear in mind that your pump or compressor may not be calibrated. I usually have to know what the pressure is on my hand pump that I keep in my car. I check pressure before a ride.

#4 ·
"ghetto tubeless?"

Whats "Ghetto Tubeless?" Because I'm all about Ghetto rigs......lol

AL29er said:
I'm with squash here :)

Gotta keep enough air in there to allow the tire to maintain it's form under cornering loads.

I have never been able to run less than 30psi in a tubeless tire. Maybe I corner late or lean too hard into them, I also do drops and jumps. Regardless under 30psi and I will burp the tire. A good ust tire I can run at 35psi, but typically I run at 38-40psi. Despite that sounding high it actually feels good. UST or converted tires are more supple, even at higher pressure.

On a hard tail that I had converted using ghetto tubeless I actually ran 50psi and it rolled rocks and roots better than 35lb with a tube in it.

I don't know. I think it is simple. Add pressure until you stop burping the tires. Take note. Also, bear in mind that your pump or compressor may not be calibrated. I usually have to know what the pressure is on my hand pump that I keep in my car. I check pressure before a ride.

#6 ·
My past experience with UST rims and non-UST tires (2003-2005) was not good. Running as high as 35psi I still had the occasional burping. So I pretty much used UST or Tubeless Ready (Standard casing, Tubeless bead).

But I am now running Ghetto Tubeless on my 29er with standard tires and my own homebrew sealant and it is working great. Easier to mount a tire than with UST rims (using non-tubeless tires) and I run between 25-28psi with zero burping issues.

I'm 220lbs for reference

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.