Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012

clydes that ride a 29er.... what are you riding?

just wondering what the fellow clydes are riding this year, any upgrades or etc? lets see those 29ers....

Certifiably Crazy
    I ride a Felt Nine Race.
    Manitou Tower pro 120mm
    XT derailleurs, Raceface crank and XTR shifters.

I'm 220 geared up.
    2011 Felt Z5
    2013 Felt Edict Nine

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    My 29er is a 12 Trek/Gary Fisher Marlin. The only two upgrades it has are dmr v8 pedals and a g2 fox fork. I'm 290 with all my gear and the wheels have held up surprisingly well. I don't do huge jumps, mainly because there aren't many in the area. Most of the trails in the area only have small ramps that put you maybe 2-2.5 feet off the ground and you might travel 4-5 feet before landing. Still though, for a lower end bike to hold up to that much weight is rather impressive. i'm not really wanting to do much more to it. Just these things if I find them for sale, XT crank, probably bb7 brakes, maxxis ignitors and maybe a carbon handle bar. I might even leave the x4 derailleurs because the trails I usually take this bike to don't have much climbing.

mtbr member
    I ride a karate monkey (think I removed the bashguard, put on a new chainring and swapped out the WI freewheel for a cheapy ACS since these pictures were taken).

LBS is currently working on building me a new set of Arch EX wheels (I found a really good deal on DT swiss 240 hubs that I couldn't pass up) and I'm trying to decide whether I want to get a waltworks fork or a carbon fiber fork next year.

225 lbs without gear.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    XL Salsa El Mariachi. Built up from a new '08 frame.

They no longer cater to the very tall. This version has a seat tube length just shy of 24". There is 8.5" of post showing in the photos.

The latest version has a 21" ST, no good for me. I bend posts when a foot is sticking out of the frame.

Last year, just after getting a fork..........

I'm not that skilled, this rock was terrifying riding rigid.

Chainline of the 8 speed hub.
    occasional cyclist

Climbs = necessary evil
    Niner RIP9. I upgraded to Stan's Flow EX rims, Nobby Nics, added my old dropper post, and Ergon grips, and other than that it's the stock XT build.

Sent from my Android - because Carrier Pigeons are slow!

mtbr member
    -Origin 8 Scout frame
    -Surly KM fork
    -WTB Laserdisc Trail TCS wheelset
    -Spec Purgatory Control tubeless tires, 2.2" rear and 2.4" front

From bikes
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

psycho cyclo addict
    Should hit 3,500 miles total (work commutes, trail riding and urban assaults) this year and I ride all three typically once a week and sometimes more:

'09 Turner Sultan 3x9 geared (just got the 142x12 DW-link rear whooo) Reba Team 120mm fork w/ 20mm axle & King's/Stan's Flow's. Went in for a warranty fix and in transit back with a new paint job too (no pics until I get it back in axxion eheheh).

'09 Fuji Tahoe SL 3x9 geared with 90mm Reba SL fork and Stan's Crest wheelset (HD front and standard rear) still going strong after putting the most miles on it outta all of my rides (bought it used with a pea size downtube divot ~3" up from the BB)

'10 SIR 9 SS (34x16 at present) w/ rigid steel fork, Bontrager Duster wheelset (same width as Flows; using Bonty tubeless rim strips & valves which work great)

mtbr member
    Just now switching to 29er. Building up a Tallboy AL right now. Hoping to be able to get a few miles on it before the new year, but the weather isn't cooperating and I'm still waiting on a few parts...

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Well, I wasn't going with the idea of buying a 29er but I left with a Yeti SB95...and love it!

FYI: the wheel sets aren't really Clyde approved. I bent the front wheel in the first 10 miles of riding and nothing serious.

Vincit qui patitur
    Salsa Spearfish 2
    Large
    WTB Frequency i19 (tubeless 25psi)
    Maxxis Crossmark
    XT 3x10
    Avid Elixr 5
    Rockshox Reba
    About 240# geared up.
    No problems yet.
    Vincit qui patitur
    2012 GT Karakoram 3.0
    2012 Salsa Spearfish 2
    2014 KONA Process 153
    2013 Giant Defy
    2012 Access TCL

Nice day for a ride.....
    2011 Cannondale Trail SL4
    Upgraded everything on the bike - full SLX 10 speed, Rock Shox Recon Gold TK, DT Swiss wheels, Thomson stem post, Niner Flat Top bar.
    Works great, 6' 250lbs

Looking at building up an Origin 8 Scout as a singlespeed for the flatter trails.

2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fatbike

mtbr member
    I am 260#'s and have put a couple hundred miles on a Trek Stache. It has held up very well so far.

mtbr member
    I can never pass up a chance to post more pics of my XL Rip. XT, Arch, Reba

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by friz View Post
    I am 260#'s and have put a couple hundred miles on a Trek Stache. It has held up very well so far.
    this might be the one bike I spent a large amount of money on... I have been trying to figure out if I am going 29er or not...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

22" Monkey 1x9... i gotta tell ya, riding this thing full rigid with flats makes me feel like i'm 10 years old again, riding my bmx bike.
    Klein Attitude XX
    Santa Cruz Heckler 6.1
    Surly Karate Monkey
    Surly Moonlander

mtbr member
    Fat guy rides a fat bike!

turtles make me hot
    09 Stumpjumper with a Reba, Salsa Semi rims, Thomson seatpost, WTB Pure V seat, Eggbeaters, 180mm XT crankset and 700mm ODI handlebars.
    I stopped breakin' spokes and nipples when I started building my own wheels and using brass nipples and DT spokes.
    I like turtles

Just ride.
    May 2011
    2012 Trek/GF Cobia (16" Frame, 230# rider)

Once I changed out to a shorter stem (60mm 0degree) and the Monkey Bar it felt much more natural. Coming from a 26" full squish.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    270lbs geared up on southeast Michigan trails. 2011 spearfish with semis laced to hopes 36x4. The Marzocchi fork will go away soon in favor of a manitou tower pro.

Unbranded bikeisland 4130 frame (originally a khs Tucson) with mtx33s laced to hopes 32x3 front and 36x3 rear. Manitou tower pro fork that I still need the xxfirm spring for. Love this bike for how little money I have in it. Will get lighter wheels soon.

mtbr member
    Ditto on the RIP 9. Best bike I've owned in my ~30 years of riding. Here she is with her older (yet smaller) sister. And the Stumpjumper is a damn good bike, 8 years and still going strong (granted I've replaced nearly every component) though it was time for an update.
    Last edited by Tillers_Rule; 12-18-2012 at 07:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I have 2. First, a 2012 KHS Aguila hardtail, and when I decided I wanted a FS, I added a 2012 Santa Cruz Tallboy LT.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails clydes that ride a 29er.... what are you riding?-bikes.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2012
    2013 Rockhopper , with everything on 240....

love the ride , Its a tough bike consider it didnt blink till i finished my 13+mile ride and the fork was lockout , beat me to hell so rigid for will NEVER be in my radar for singletrack

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Whisperer View Post
    -Origin 8 Scout frame
    -Surly KM fork
    -WTB Laserdisc Trail TCS wheelset
    -Spec Purgatory Control tubeless tires, 2.2" rear and 2.4" front

From bikes
    How are you liking those wheels? what kind of mileage you got on them? I got the same ones from chainlove, just started riding MTB a couple weeks ago so not many miles on them but so far so good

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cpfitness View Post
    How are you liking those wheels? what kind of mileage you got on them? I got the same ones from chainlove, just started riding MTB a couple weeks ago so not many miles on them but so far so good
    Not too many miles yet on these, though I had a set of the same hubs on my full suspension that I just sold for over a year and liked them. A little slow on the engagement but otherwise fast rolling and not too loud. The rims seem really nice, very easy to mount my 2Bliss tires on them with a floor pump. Hoping to get more mileage after the holiday madness.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast