Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

clydes that ride a 29er.... what are you riding?

53K views 207 replies 158 participants last post by  DaHeckler 
#1 ·
just wondering what the fellow clydes are riding this year, any upgrades or etc? lets see those 29ers....

#116 ·
I'm 220 geared up.
What does this mean anyway? How much gear do you wear? I ride a motorcycle so for me geared up really does add 20 lbs to the rider but it just seems strange to hear a bicyclist say how much they weigh with gear. What are we talking about here? A 50g helmet, some gloves, shorts and cycling shoes? Maybe a camelbak?

Might as well say I'm 220 with clothes on. ;)

#20 ·
270lbs geared up on southeast Michigan trails. 2011 spearfish with semis laced to hopes 36x4. The Marzocchi fork will go away soon in favor of a manitou tower pro.

Unbranded bikeisland 4130 frame (originally a khs Tucson) with mtx33s laced to hopes 32x3 front and 36x3 rear. Manitou tower pro fork that I still need the xxfirm spring for. Love this bike for how little money I have in it. Will get lighter wheels soon.

#26 ·
Unbranded bikeisland 4130 frame (originally a khs Tucson) with mtx33s laced to hopes 32x3 front and 36x3 rear. Manitou tower pro fork that I still need the xxfirm spring for. Love this bike for how little money I have in it. Will get lighter wheels soon.

if you ever want to sell, this is basically my dream bike... I know, my dream is pretty low but, its what I want to build.

#3 ·
My 29er is a 12 Trek/Gary Fisher Marlin. The only two upgrades it has are dmr v8 pedals and a g2 fox fork. I'm 290 with all my gear and the wheels have held up surprisingly well. I don't do huge jumps, mainly because there aren't many in the area. Most of the trails in the area only have small ramps that put you maybe 2-2.5 feet off the ground and you might travel 4-5 feet before landing. Still though, for a lower end bike to hold up to that much weight is rather impressive. i'm not really wanting to do much more to it. Just these things if I find them for sale, XT crank, probably bb7 brakes, maxxis ignitors and maybe a carbon handle bar. I might even leave the x4 derailleurs because the trails I usually take this bike to don't have much climbing.

#4 ·
I ride a karate monkey (think I removed the bashguard, put on a new chainring and swapped out the WI freewheel for a cheapy ACS since these pictures were taken).

LBS is currently working on building me a new set of Arch EX wheels (I found a really good deal on DT swiss 240 hubs that I couldn't pass up) and I'm trying to decide whether I want to get a waltworks fork or a carbon fiber fork next year.

225 lbs without gear.

#5 ·
XL Salsa El Mariachi. Built up from a new '08 frame.

They no longer cater to the very tall. This version has a seat tube length just shy of 24". There is 8.5" of post showing in the photos.

The latest version has a 21" ST, no good for me. I bend posts when a foot is sticking out of the frame.

Last year, just after getting a fork..........

I'm not that skilled, this rock was terrifying riding rigid.

Chainline of the 8 speed hub.

#8 ·
Should hit 3,500 miles total (work commutes, trail riding and urban assaults) this year and I ride all three typically once a week and sometimes more:

'09 Turner Sultan 3x9 geared (just got the 142x12 DW-link rear whooo) Reba Team 120mm fork w/ 20mm axle & King's/Stan's Flow's. Went in for a warranty fix and in transit back with a new paint job too (no pics until I get it back in axxion eheheh).

'09 Fuji Tahoe SL 3x9 geared with 90mm Reba SL fork and Stan's Crest wheelset (HD front and standard rear) still going strong after putting the most miles on it outta all of my rides (bought it used with a pea size downtube divot ~3" up from the BB)

'10 SIR 9 SS (34x16 at present) w/ rigid steel fork, Bontrager Duster wheelset (same width as Flows; using Bonty tubeless rim strips & valves which work great)

#10 ·
Well, I wasn't going with the idea of buying a 29er but I left with a Yeti SB95...and love it!

FYI: the wheel sets aren't really Clyde approved. I bent the front wheel in the first 10 miles of riding and nothing serious.

#11 ·
Salsa Spearfish 2
Large
WTB Frequency i19 (tubeless 25psi)
Maxxis Crossmark
XT 3x10
Avid Elixr 5
Rockshox Reba
About 240# geared up.
No problems yet.

#18 ·
09 Stumpjumper with a Reba, Salsa Semi rims, Thomson seatpost, WTB Pure V seat, Eggbeaters, 180mm XT crankset and 700mm ODI handlebars.
I stopped breakin' spokes and nipples when I started building my own wheels and using brass nipples and DT spokes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.