Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

clydes that ride a 29er.... what are you riding?

53K views 207 replies 158 participants last post by  DaHeckler 
#1 ·
just wondering what the fellow clydes are riding this year, any upgrades or etc? lets see those 29ers....

#36 ·
Just picked up a 2012 Trek Cobia last month. So far I added Black-Ops Nylo-Pro Pedals, Serfas Saddle, and The Sensus Swayze grips. I've only put about 10 miles on it, but I really like it so far. Can't wait for more...too bad it is getting so cold up here in WI.

#37 ·
6'4" about 300lbs geared up. 2012 Carve Expert, all stock but XT shifter and brakes W/Ice tech rotors. Love it and it is the fastest turning bike that I have been on, it rides like it is on rails. Stout 29 rims are heavy but have been holding up well in the dirt. Stock M446 brakes were junk and deore shifters were weak as well. Got a great deal on a closeout and with the shifters and brakes I paid just a bit over MSRP. LBS also threw in a free chain guard as well.

Mark

Attachments

#38 · (Edited)
Abram1 & Lurch

Pride and joy -'12 Specialized Camber 29er Elite and 26" city roller - '89 CDale M500

Rider - 210-220 6"3 - Lanky 8'6.5" vert reach

The Camber (Abram) is a solid ride that takes a lot of abuse on the rocky AZ trails. I lament to smoother trail days when Lurch (in black) was my steed in the Denver foothills and Winter Park area. OTB days are behind me, -HA! Lurch was literally dropped down mtn sides, wheel taco'd, all but cracked, hung in storage for 10 years, exhumed, sanded and given an appeal that few would know there are a couple Race Face components there. Now a bike I can lock up in public for an hour with little worry, minus the seat and fully locked wheels and frame.

The Camber has survived 13 hour endurance rides without any issue, and my lower back never pains me. It's plush, indeed. Climbs like a goat, descends like a rocket. In 1.5 years and 220lbs bangin' on it, it has never needed a wheel tune - knock on wood. I've learned a bit about the RS Ario rear shock, and perhaps it's fair to say this is universal on Manitou too. After (1.2yrs) the first and only replacing of the seals by a shop I like, it seems the final tension or torque placed on the air cannister has not been adequate, which resulted in a large ring seal on the bulkiest part of the cannister purging. What I've had to discover, is I can put it on the bench at home, unscrew, reseat the gasket, and squeeze that f-er down as tight as my hands let me.:cool: RockShox online videos suggest no torque rating for this, only hand tight - BUT THE TRICK MUST ALSO BE HOW TIGHT YOUR ELF GRIP WILL LET YOU GET IT!
Lurch, (puckermobile) the m500 Cannondale of yore was my first attempt, which I'm realitively satisfied with, at building a less attractive city commuter. It needs a longer steerer tube on a different fork. Ideas welcome, please. :rolleyes:

If you have questions about the Camber - demo one or PM me. Each day, I long to get on this bike and hit rugged trail even though I've had epiderals in my L5 S1 back area years ago. No back issues despite terrain.

:)

Attachments

#40 ·
Motobecane Fantom ProSL hardtail and a Santa Cruz Tallboy. Have had the MB for 2 years and no issues except for trashing the original Formula rear hub (replaced w/WTB). Just got the Tallboy (couldn't pass up SC's blowout price!!) after using a Blur. Built up w/X-Fusion Slide 29 120mm fork, DTSwiss wheels, Elixer brakes, and some other stuff I had. Love 'em both!!

#44 ·
I started commuting to work 1/2 hour each way. I also started to ride at least twice a week for at least 2 hrs on trails that I would have to walk up. Lots of fun on the way down. I am starting to make it up some of the hills. I had done this years ago with some success but what really kicked it in for me this time was some tough talk from this Paleo website called Whole 9 life. Totally free advice on how to get it done. Tried it for 30 days and then my wife and I had such good success with it we just kept on going. We have tried quite a few diets before but this one finally clicked with us. It is nice to feel that getting to my goal weight of 225 is not a struggle anymore, just a matter of time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

#45 ·
Put 2600 miles on my trusty Access XCL29er this year. I bought it to get back into riding and love it. I'm about 230 down from 350 a year and a half ago.
Just bought a Marin Team CXR29er to race next year. I've only ridden it once but really like the ride. I'm swapping it to 2x10.
Also built up a SC Chameleon as a single speed. Tons of fun to ride.
Bicycle wheel Tire Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle frame
Wheel Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle frame

#48 ·
Looks like you have been doing awesome with the weight lose. I does feel good to be in control of ones weight. The tricky part is continuing to eat healthy once you reach your goal. It is really easy to slip into old habits and have the weight creep up. I gotta be on top of what I eat all the time.
I like the Tallboy LT a lot. A long travel FS ride is next on my list. I want something for cushy fun.

#50 ·
2013 Specialized Camber Comp

I own a 29er, but I haven't been able to ride it on any trail.... it has been raining/muddy since the day I brought it home. I have just been tooling around the neighborhood.... already LOVE this bike...

#53 ·
Here are my two bikes and their current upgrades. (I need to get updated photos)

2012 Specialized Epic Expert
ENVE Flat Sweep Carbon Bar
ENVE 90mm Carbon Stem
ENVE 25mm Setback Carbon Seatpost
Specialized Romin Evo Expert Carbon Saddle
SRAM 1070 10spd Cassette
Time ATAC XS Carbon Pedals
ESI Chunky Grips
(Point 1 Racing Podium Flat Pedals for trail riding days)

2012 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert Hardtail
ENVE Flat Sweep Carbon Bar
ENVE 90mm Carbon Stem
ENVE 25mm Setback Carbon Seatpost
Specialized Romin Evo Expert Carbon Saddle
SRAM 1070 10spd Cassette
Time ATAC XS Carbon Pedals
ESI Chunky Grips

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.