Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

clydes that ride a 29er.... what are you riding?

53K views 207 replies 158 participants last post by  DaHeckler 
#1 ·
just wondering what the fellow clydes are riding this year, any upgrades or etc? lets see those 29ers....

#91 ·
Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Tire Bicycle frame Wheel

I'm 6'4" 205-210 + gear. Ride a 2011 Trek/Fisher HiFi Plus 29r size XL/21" seat tube. SRAM X7 drive train, Juicy 3 brakes. Stock Bontrager SSR wheels (shimano hubs). 100mm travel. Upgrades: Wider Bars, ODI grips, KS 125mm dropper post, Kenda Nevgal tires, WTB Pure seat.
Rims have held up well as has suspension (Rock Shox Reba RL and Fox RP2). Brakes are noisy and get out of alignment easily. Overall I am very happy with the bike. I ride it hard and it has held up well.

Typically ride So Cal rocky/dusty trails with small drops. Lots of up, lots of down, not much horizontal. Bike is a good climber, better with pro-pedal engaged going up. A bit heavy, but that has a lot to do with heavy wheels and tubes and XL frame size.

I recommend it.:thumbsup:

#96 ·
6'7. 190lbs or so without gear -- so tall, but I guess I'm not QUITE a Clyde any more.

Ride a 2012 Trek X-Caliber that I bought as a left over earlier this year. So far, all I've done is swap out the grips for the Ergon GX1s; loving the little climbers for road hills. Running a set of H2s for some road training most of the time.

About to order Shimano XT brakes for it; I'm already done with the Avid's and (based on everything I've read on here) I suspect I'm not going to get them sorted.

Loving the bike. Feel so much less folded up than on my 2001 21" Kona Caldera, though it seems that had better components, honestly.

#99 ·
I am currently 6' and 205 lbs. down from 275 in February of this year. I am now riding a '13 Specialized Stumpjumper HT Comp size Large. I have only owned this ride for about 3 months now. I was riding a Carve Comp before, but it was stolen out of my garage. The Stumpjumper is a great bike for my local trails. Unfortunately for me, I have to drive about 20 minutes from my house to get to any decent off road riding. Therefore, I only get to ride the Stumpjumper on the weekends. I have about 150 miles on it so far. Compaired to my road bike, Roubiax, which is only a month older and is about to turn over 2,000 miles in 4 months.

#110 ·
Hello everyone, I would like to introduce Trixie.

Frame: Nimble 9 Large Sparkle Blue
Fork: Manitou Tower PRO 120mm 15TA Tapered
Headset: CaneCreek 40 Series
Crank: Shimano Saint
Pedals: Shimano SPD
Bottom Bracket: Shimano (knock on wood)
Cassette: Shimano Xt
Drivetrain: Sram X9
Chain: KMC X10
Brakes: Hope EVO M4 front, EVO X2 rear 203f/180r
Seatpost: Thomson Elite
Seat: Selle Smp PRO
Seatpost Clamp: Salsa
Stem: 70mm Tester
Handlebar: 730mm Tester
Wheels: Chris King ISO Laced To FLOW EX
Tires: Specialized Purgatory 2.4/Fast Trak 2.2

She was a little shy at first.

015 by jonshonda187, on Flickr

But then she started to open up.

003 by jonshonda187, on Flickr

Work It!

007 by jonshonda187, on Flickr

How about a close up?

019 by jonshonda187, on Flickr

And a few from behind?

009 by jonshonda187, on Flickr

010 by jonshonda187, on Flickr

#111 ·
7ft and 260lbs ungeared...

Newest ride is a Ventana Captain Zeus. Custom frame with 29er front built around a 150mm Roxkshox Pike Dual Air. 650b rear with 140/160 adjustable travel and 17 inch chainstays. 24 inch seat tube with 27 inch top tube and 7 1/8 inch head tube.

The most fun on a bike I have ever had.

Also have a custom steel DH bike with 23 seat tube n 27.5 top tube.

3rd bike is an XL 2013 Kona Process, very fun but a bit small, although top tube is 26 which ain't bad for a single X...

#114 · (Edited)
6'3", 255. That is with shorts, a t-shirt, and a pair of Nikes. Who rides in more?
I don't ride too much as I don't want to burn my muscle off. I plan to stay in the 250-275 range.

I am riding a 2014 Trek XCaliber-4 21.5" in red - all warning labels removed
Manitou Tower Expert 100mm fork
Shimano silent rear hub
Stolen Thermalite pedals
Profile Design bar ends
Topeak emergency pump
Topeak MTX rear rack
Topeak MTX Trunkbag DX
FoxFire amber taillight
Bontrager Trip 4W cyclocomputer
On the way:
NiteRider Lumina 700

#117 ·
Three liter's of water, helmet, pads perhaps, pump, patch kit, tools, first aid-kit perhaps, food, rain jacket. Not uncommon to see a 10 pound camel bak. In a sport where people are paying thousands more for a bike that's 5 pounds lighter the pack weight can be significant. Also, 10 pounds of weight can have a significant affect on shock performance and setup.

#120 ·
Some shock/fork manf give a suggested psi for specific weights. While a few lbs may not matter much, 10-20lbs certainly can impact shock performance. Some places I ride are shorter loops that worst case scenario I am a short walk back to the car for tools. Those places I carry almost nothing and even leave food and beverages in the cooler in the car. Other places are middle of nowhere so I have a pack with multi tool, chain tool, tube, co2, pump,camelback and 2 bottles of water. Remember a gallon of water alone is 8 lbs and on a hot summer day I can easily go through a gallon. One drawback of MTB; no stores in the middle of the woods to buy drinks

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.