Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by amadkins View Post

Unbranded bikeisland 4130 frame (originally a khs Tucson) with mtx33s laced to hopes 32x3 front and 36x3 rear. Manitou tower pro fork that I still need the xxfirm spring for. Love this bike for how little money I have in it. Will get lighter wheels soon.

if you ever want to sell, this is basically my dream bike... I know, my dream is pretty low but, its what I want to build.

mtbr member
    Love'n Life!!!

Last edited by zenkem; 01-07-2013 at 07:09 AM.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by amadkins View Post
    270lbs geared up on southeast Michigan trails. 2011 spearfish with semis laced to hopes 36x4. The Marzocchi fork will go away soon in favor of a manitou tower pro.

Is that Marx fork a 44 MicroTi? If so, I'm just curious why you would switch to the Tower Pro? The Tower Pro is excellent, but I found them to ride very similarly when the MicroTi is tuned correctly, so I probably wouldn't spend money just to have a fork that rode pretty much the same. These are my two personal favorite 29er forks.

mtbr member
    Moots 2010 29er Ybb
    Replaced drivetrain in May and is XT
    Fox Float 29 15mm thru-axle (Pushed)
    Stan's Flow with King hubs (F&R)
    Moots stem
    Moots Seat Post
    Selle Anatomica Titanico X (most comfortable seat I ever had)
    Over 15,000 miles on it and still love it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails clydes that ride a 29er.... what are you riding?-p6070034.jpg  

clydes that ride a 29er.... what are you riding?-p6070034.jpg  

Last edited by woody.1; 09-20-2013 at 12:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Jet 9 RDO

I'm 6'5" and 230lbs in my birthday attire.

Jet 9 RDO (XL)
    Stan's Arch EX w/King hubs
    XT 2x10 w/XTR shifters and shadow plus rear mech
    King HS and BB
    Thomson seatpost and stem
    Ritchey WCS carbon bars

I love my XC race machine!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails clydes that ride a 29er.... what are you riding?-2012-08-22-16.jpg  

beater
    Banshee Prime (L)
    clydes that ride a 29er.... what are you riding?-img_4093.jpg

Canfield Brothers Yelli Screamy (L)
    clydes that ride a 29er.... what are you riding?-img_2379.jpg

Both bikes have LaceMine29 wheels: 36-hole MTX-33s laced to Hope Pro 2 Evos on the Prime, and Stan's FR rims laced to a DT 340 and a Hope Pro 2 on the Yelli. I don't worry about my wheels.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj View Post
    Is that Marx fork a 44 MicroTi? If so, I'm just curious why you would switch to the Tower Pro? The Tower Pro is excellent, but I found them to ride very similarly when the MicroTi is tuned correctly, so I probably wouldn't spend money just to have a fork that rode pretty much the same. These are my two personal favorite 29er forks.
    It is. In order to get small bump compliance where I want it, I have to run it pretty soft. Couple that with the fact that it doesn't use the last inch of travel, and I have about a 45mm front travel bike. I've also found Marz customer service to be pretty lacking.

The tower pro experience has been much better even without the xxfirm spring. I expect it to get even better.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by shugarbear View Post
    just wondering what the fellow clydes are riding this year, any upgrades or etc? lets see those 29ers....

2011 Stumpy Expert.
    Wide Race Face Bars w/Ergon Grips
    Upgraded Wheels- i23 Rims, Tied DT Comps Spokes, Hope Evo Front Hub, King Rear Hub.
    Hans Dampf 2.3 on the front. 2.2 Nobby Nick on the rear.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Currently on the Spesh Rockhopper, but looking to go with a Banshee Paradox this spring

IMG_1679-1 by jonshonda187, on Flickr

mtbr member
    2010 Kona Unit.

I'm thinking about getting either 2013 Unit (with raw metal finish) or Surly KM next spring.

Ghisallo Wheels

I'm really good looking.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Just picked up a 2012 Trek Cobia last month. So far I added Black-Ops Nylo-Pro Pedals, Serfas Saddle, and The Sensus Swayze grips. I've only put about 10 miles on it, but I really like it so far. Can't wait for more...too bad it is getting so cold up here in WI.

The bigger you are, the harder you fall.

mtbr member
    6'4" about 300lbs geared up. 2012 Carve Expert, all stock but XT shifter and brakes W/Ice tech rotors. Love it and it is the fastest turning bike that I have been on, it rides like it is on rails. Stout 29 rims are heavy but have been holding up well in the dirt. Stock M446 brakes were junk and deore shifters were weak as well. Got a great deal on a closeout and with the shifters and brakes I paid just a bit over MSRP. LBS also threw in a free chain guard as well.

Mark
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails clydes that ride a 29er.... what are you riding?-bike1.jpg  

clydes that ride a 29er.... what are you riding?-bike2.jpg  

clydes that ride a 29er.... what are you riding?-bike3.jpg  

clydes that ride a 29er.... what are you riding?-bike4.jpg  

2012 XXL Carve Expert

mtbr member

Abram1 & Lurch

Pride and joy -'12 Specialized Camber 29er Elite and 26" city roller - '89 CDale M500

Rider - 210-220 6"3 - Lanky 8'6.5" vert reach

The Camber (Abram) is a solid ride that takes a lot of abuse on the rocky AZ trails. I lament to smoother trail days when Lurch (in black) was my steed in the Denver foothills and Winter Park area. OTB days are behind me, -HA! Lurch was literally dropped down mtn sides, wheel taco'd, all but cracked, hung in storage for 10 years, exhumed, sanded and given an appeal that few would know there are a couple Race Face components there. Now a bike I can lock up in public for an hour with little worry, minus the seat and fully locked wheels and frame.

The Camber has survived 13 hour endurance rides without any issue, and my lower back never pains me. It's plush, indeed. Climbs like a goat, descends like a rocket. In 1.5 years and 220lbs bangin' on it, it has never needed a wheel tune - knock on wood. I've learned a bit about the RS Ario rear shock, and perhaps it's fair to say this is universal on Manitou too. After (1.2yrs) the first and only replacing of the seals by a shop I like, it seems the final tension or torque placed on the air cannister has not been adequate, which resulted in a large ring seal on the bulkiest part of the cannister purging. What I've had to discover, is I can put it on the bench at home, unscrew, reseat the gasket, and squeeze that f-er down as tight as my hands let me. RockShox online videos suggest no torque rating for this, only hand tight - BUT THE TRICK MUST ALSO BE HOW TIGHT YOUR ELF GRIP WILL LET YOU GET IT!
    Lurch, (puckermobile) the m500 Cannondale of yore was my first attempt, which I'm realitively satisfied with, at building a less attractive city commuter. It needs a longer steerer tube on a different fork. Ideas welcome, please.

If you have questions about the Camber - demo one or PM me. Each day, I long to get on this bike and hit rugged trail even though I've had epiderals in my L5 S1 back area years ago. No back issues despite terrain.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails clydes that ride a 29er.... what are you riding?-p1120139.jpg  

clydes that ride a 29er.... what are you riding?-p1150164.jpg  

Last edited by awesomepaw; 12-29-2012 at 02:30 PM. Reason: bc
    That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

300lber here. Not-so-patiently awaiting my New Waltworks SS and a Jet 9 RDO.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Motobecane Fantom ProSL hardtail and a Santa Cruz Tallboy. Have had the MB for 2 years and no issues except for trashing the original Formula rear hub (replaced w/WTB). Just got the Tallboy (couldn't pass up SC's blowout price!!) after using a Blur. Built up w/X-Fusion Slide 29 120mm fork, DTSwiss wheels, Elixer brakes, and some other stuff I had. Love 'em both!!

Gonzo
    Having fun on this Santa Cruz Tallboy LTC. 6' 270 down from 330 in four months. Have also switched to flat pedals since this photo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails clydes that ride a 29er.... what are you riding?-img_2070.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzilla View Post
    Having fun on this Santa Cruz Tallboy LTC. 6' 270 down from 330 in four months. Have also switched to flat pedals since this photo.
    NICE WORK!

Just riding? Or riding and dieting?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Airborne Goblin 22" frame fits my 6'5" 260lb body pretty nice.

Gonzo
    I started commuting to work 1/2 hour each way. I also started to ride at least twice a week for at least 2 hrs on trails that I would have to walk up. Lots of fun on the way down. I am starting to make it up some of the hills. I had done this years ago with some success but what really kicked it in for me this time was some tough talk from this Paleo website called Whole 9 life. Totally free advice on how to get it done. Tried it for 30 days and then my wife and I had such good success with it we just kept on going. We have tried quite a few diets before but this one finally clicked with us. It is nice to feel that getting to my goal weight of 225 is not a struggle anymore, just a matter of time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Is this thing on?
    Put 2600 miles on my trusty Access XCL29er this year. I bought it to get back into riding and love it. I'm about 230 down from 350 a year and a half ago.
    Just bought a Marin Team CXR29er to race next year. I've only ridden it once but really like the ride. I'm swapping it to 2x10.
    Also built up a SC Chameleon as a single speed. Tons of fun to ride.
    clydes that ride a 29er.... what are you riding?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1356913916.641617.jpgclydes that ride a 29er.... what are you riding?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1356913945.491669.jpg

Is this thing on?
    The Marin didn't attach for some reason.
    clydes that ride a 29er.... what are you riding?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1356914013.203586.jpg

Gonzo
    Great job on the weight loss Fro! That single speed is sweet! Makes me think I should do same thing to my commuter. It is an old Klein.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Is this thing on?
    Looks like you have been doing awesome with the weight lose. I does feel good to be in control of ones weight. The tricky part is continuing to eat healthy once you reach your goal. It is really easy to slip into old habits and have the weight creep up. I gotta be on top of what I eat all the time.
    I like the Tallboy LT a lot. A long travel FS ride is next on my list. I want something for cushy fun.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

2011 specialized stumpjumper fsr expert 29er

Just picked it up yesterday. And a heck of a deal too
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails clydes that ride a 29er.... what are you riding?-img_00000020.jpg  

clydes that ride a 29er.... what are you riding?-img_00000021.jpg  

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    2013 Specialized Camber Comp

I own a 29er, but I haven't been able to ride it on any trail.... it has been raining/muddy since the day I brought it home. I have just been tooling around the neighborhood.... already LOVE this bike...
    Fat guys need bikes too.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast