mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Clydes in Moab/Rockies - Tire Recommendations?

I'm a taller guy at about 230. I have been riding the WTB MotorRaptors 2.4 and loving them so far. I think I want something maybe a little fatter up front and been wondering if I should trim down a little in the rear with not too much loss of rear performance. I ride at about 35 (front) and about 40 rear psi or so. Decent little bulge and this is on my aluminum hardtail (so the fatness/tire flexibility is good), riding usually as aggressively as possible particularly on the real XC and downhills. Terrain around here varies a lot. Loose rock, dirt, loose dirt/dust, some sand, and even some slick rock. Also planning to take to Moab shortly so I suppose fatter is probably best. Wondering what tires you guys are riding (& particularly those in my weight range and style of terrain: wide variety but not too wet usually). Thanks!
    Last edited by dieselcruiserhead; 08-16-2007 at 04:36 PM.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    First time I went to Moab I was about your weight and riding an alu hardtail, used Geax Sedona 2.25, worked fine but I decided I like phatter tires afterwards - more durability and grip.

I personally really liked the WTB MotoRaptor 2.4's there, but they're not "light" tires nor "fast" - but they worked great everywhere.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I have been riding the Maxxis Ignitors 2.35 LUST tires at about 35 psi tubeless and they have been one of the best all round tires, I like them a lot around Colorado for the singletrack riding.

I've ridden the Kenda Nevegals - a great tire, but the pair I rode, wore out really quickly after a trip to Moab, Pheonix, and Sedona. Too much rock I guess for those tires.

If I wanted a faster tire, before I started riding tubeless, I would select the WTB mutanoraptors. Superlight for the 2.4 size.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    cool.. I plan on tubeless at some point I think.. Cheers, Andre