mtbr member
    Jul 2007

clydes on Magura Thor or RS Revelation

Im considering an all mountain build. I'm 245 lbs w/o gear. The Magura seems to be about half a lb lighter than the Revelation. I'm wondering if the Magura will take the pounding. I run a Reba 20mm through axle now. It's very stiff and has held up well.Now, I'm looking for more travel and assume the Revelation will do just as well. I looking for opinions on both.
    thanks.

29 some of the time...
    I am on my second revelation. Not damage related, I had one when they first came out and I just got a 2009. I am a hair lighter than you, but I do ride aggressive. I haven't had any issue with my RS air forks over the last few years. Typically I limit my flight to under 4' these days. No problems with that.

I can't comment on the Magura stuff. They are more expensive for one, but I also hate all of the remote garbage on their high end forks. I don't want any remotes or cables on my fork.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

mtbr member
    I'm in the same boat and are considering these as well, especially since the new Rev is basically the air Pike. The Thor remote is an option, you don't have to run it with the remote you can use the adjustment on the fork instead of installing the remote. The Thor is more expensive, but I think both would suit your needs. Personally if money is no object I would go with the Thor...plus the guys with Magura USA are great to deal with!
    [SIZE="3"]The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' --Ronald Reagan [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Here's a similar thread for more info:

Rock Shox Revelation 20mm or Magura Thor
    [SIZE="3"]The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' --Ronald Reagan [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks Al. That's what I wanted to hear. I love my Reba and have been impressed by the way it has held up cause I'd like to think I charge pretty hard. I attribute its sturdiness to the 20mm thru axle and the low arch support, amoungst other things. The Revelation is my first choice. I would expect the same type of performance. I don't like extra cables and remotes on my bar either. Do you not run the puchloc on your handle bar? I'm coming to find that I dont use mine as often as when I first got the fork. Even going up hill, the Reba responds nicely and doesnt take too much away from my pedaling efficiency. I'm actually considering taking it off.

The Magura Thor looks pretty stiff also w/ the dual arch support combined w/ the 20mm thru axle. And the bonus is it weighs less than the Revelation. I did see that other thread Mtbykr. Im was looking for opinions from more "stout" riders. I'm thinking that the 1/2 lb extra on the Revelation might take a tad bit more abuse than the super lite Thor.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Just saw all the buzz in the suspension forum regarding the 2010 RS line-up. A 150mm Revelation with power bulges and the 20mm thru axle. I would definitely wait for that!

mtbr member
    what frame are you building up?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    09 Turner DW link 5 spot

29er Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by Verns22
    Just saw all the buzz in the suspension forum regarding the 2010 RS line-up. A 150mm Revelation with power bulges and the 20mm thru axle. I would definitely wait for that!

I have an '10 Rev. WAIT FOR IT.

For reference, my other fork is an '09 Pike Coil that has been black boxed and it is my bliss....that said the '10 revelation is fantastic. I was waffling between an Argyle and a Pike for the bike as I want to race it 4x as well...Figured the pike would be great on the 4x course and do it's job well at the park....figured an Argyle would do well at the park and get by on the 4x course...well, the answer was the '10 Rev. Light AND Strong. Rock on.
    unityhandbuilt

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    How'd you get your hands on that bad boy Tozovr??? R U in Europe? Makes me want to search overseas websites. Any chance you know when they will be released here in the US? In the mean time, I'll definitely be patient and wait. thanks

by the way...are you running the U-turn version? what color are the lowers?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    How'd you get your hands on that bad boy Tozovr??? R U in Europe? Makes me want to search overseas websites. Any chance you know when they will be released here in the US? In the mean time, I'll definitely be patient and wait. thanks

by the way...are you running the U-turn version? what color are the lowers?
    He's a Ninja
    Last edited by Denimdan; 04-08-2009 at 06:20 AM.

29 some of the time...
    Do you not run the puchloc on your handle bar? I'm coming to find that I dont use mine as often as when I first got the fork. Even going up hill, the Reba responds nicely and doesnt take too much away from my pedaling efficiency. I'm actually considering taking it off.
    No, no remotes. You have to look around a bit more, but rockshox does offer the fork without remote. I just don't have a problem reaching down and locking out the fork. I do it so rarely and only on extended climbs where it is trivial to do.

The magura forks look nice. They are too rich for my blood. I find rockshox to be a good amount of features/performance especially at the price they sell for. I am eager to see other options and ideas in the fork market. Just not a fan of doing R&D on new products (been there and done that). Some swear by the Magura forks, but others have tried them and returned to their old favorites for one reason or another.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.