Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    76

    Clydes looking for some advice

    Hey Guys, first off let me give you the low down on myself. Just started riding in Cincinnati in July 2012 (I am experienced on a bike from earlier years) on a 2006 Trek 4300 and I am now ready to buy a new bike. I am 6'4 ~275lbs. I want to buy a 29er, and I have a budget of ~$2K +/- $200. I ride mostly in the Cincinnati area and venture west a bit to IN.

    Knowing my range what is the best bike I can get that will handle me, but also the occassional jump (~2 feet)? I am open to FS or HT, just don't know what can handle a beating, so I figured I would come here and hear the debate and suggestions.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    163
    Specialized makes a Stumpjumper 29 in xl and xxl. they are about $2700 though.

    Great bike= $5000
    Cardiologist=$500,000

    We all can afford a good bike...

  3. #3
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    4,505
    I'm exactly the same size as you and ride a Stumpjumper FSR 29er.
    The Camber is around 2200 bucks. A word of warning... I was breaking spoke nipples like it was my job and the rims that come on these bikes are too narrow for big guys. The seatpost is subpar, the bars on mine were kinda narrow but I don't know what the new ones come with.
    My Stumpy was the last bike I bought off the rack. The way I see it, why buy two sets of wheels and two handlebars and two seatposts?
    Are you tight with your bike shop? Would they sell you a bike and then pro rate the wheels and put Flows or MTX33's on it?
    I like turtles

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bike Whisperer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,888
    Surly Krampus...strong, durable, low maintenance, and just awesome

    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

    Blog

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    I'm exactly the same size as you and ride a Stumpjumper FSR 29er.
    The Camber is around 2200 bucks. A word of warning... I was breaking spoke nipples like it was my job and the rims that come on these bikes are too narrow for big guys. The seatpost is subpar, the bars on mine were kinda narrow but I don't know what the new ones come with.
    My Stumpy was the last bike I bought off the rack. The way I see it, why buy two sets of wheels and two handlebars and two seatposts?
    Are you tight with your bike shop? Would they sell you a bike and then pro rate the wheels and put Flows or MTX33's on it?
    I have only been to the bike shop a hand full of times. The only I would consider having a good relationship would be the Trek dealer since I get my bike serviced there. As for the Camber, I have looked at them and I do like them I just don't know much about wheels in general to say anything. I guess that is my biggest unknown when picking bikes, I am good at knowing components and suspension, but wheels are an unknown to me. Also, I would love to buy a StumpJumper, but I think the cheapest one is 2500 and up and I am not looking to drop that kind of dough yet.

    I wouldn't mind a HT to be honest. I just don't know which ones will be able to handle my frame and my riding habits.

    I have access to pretty much any brand of bike due to Cincy having such a large roadie community.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GTscoob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,151
    Are you a smooth rider? Is that 2 feet in pinkbike feet or 2 feet for real? You might be able to get away with some of the stock components on most any 29er if you're pretty smooth about riding.

    Factory machine built wheels take the blame for a lot of crappy builds when the rim itself is a fine enough rim but the rider didnt take the time to detension and retension the spokes to make for a stronger wheel.

    You should be able to do a lot for $2K, especially if you built yourself. Have you looked into some of the nicer offerings on PricePoint, Airborne, or BikesDirect? If you dont have a good relationship with your shop, these direct order bikes can be a steal but will involve you working on your own bike a good bit.

  7. #7
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    4,505
    ooh yeah! The Airborne Goblin is a good deal.
    I like turtles

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    76
    I like the Hobgoblin a lot and have been giving that a hard look.

    Currently, I am looking at the Airborne HG, Trek Stache 7, and keeping my eye on eBay. I would really like to find something with 4" or more for FS or something like the Stache which is all-mountain HT with 29" wheels.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    101
    Whatever bike you get make sure it has 36 hole wheels, as 700 size rims are somewhat weaker than 26in. rims. I am 220lbs. and all my bikes have 36 spoke wheels, and have not broken a spoke in years. Good luck with your search.
    Cheers

  10. #10
    No talent hack
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    939
    FWIW, you would be just fine on a Camber. I would suggest a move to the Camber Comp as the base Camber has a coil spring front fork that won't like the weight of a clyde much. A Camber Comp can be had for $2400 or less.

    I am a little bigger than you (~300), but the Stumpjumper FSR was a fat wallowing pig at my weight and the Epic had no hope. FS for a clyde is pretty sensitive to the linkage style. I tested the Stumpy FSR, Epic, Camber, Superfly 100 and Rumblefish... the only one that was clyde friendly was the Camber and it is VERY friendly.

    Don't get too hung up looking for 36 hole rims on a stock bike. Most stock rims are going to be garbage under a big rider. Planning on building a set of wheels in your future is the best bet... if you get a hardtail, plan on a rear wheel first.

    With the uncertainty of the Hobgoblin being clyde friendly, I think the Stache 7 is a great choice. It was on my short list until I rented/test rode a Camber on my favorite trail.... no need for a hard tasil after that ride.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight511 View Post
    FWIW, you would be just fine on a Camber. I would suggest a move to the Camber Comp as the base Camber has a coil spring front fork that won't like the weight of a clyde much. A Camber Comp can be had for $2400 or less.

    I am a little bigger than you (~300), but the Stumpjumper FSR was a fat wallowing pig at my weight and the Epic had no hope. FS for a clyde is pretty sensitive to the linkage style. I tested the Stumpy FSR, Epic, Camber, Superfly 100 and Rumblefish... the only one that was clyde friendly was the Camber and it is VERY friendly.

    Don't get too hung up looking for 36 hole rims on a stock bike. Most stock rims are going to be garbage under a big rider. Planning on building a set of wheels in your future is the best bet... if you get a hardtail, plan on a rear wheel first.

    With the uncertainty of the Hobgoblin being clyde friendly, I think the Stache 7 is a great choice. It was on my short list until I rented/test rode a Camber on my favorite trail.... no need for a hard tasil after that ride.
    I have looked at the Camber a few times. The Comp is very nice and I like it, just depends on what I get in terms of finances (Tax Time is my favorite time). BigDaddyFlyer has been talking to me on aanother forum about the HG and he was pretty confident that for the area I ride in the HG would be a great bike. I really do like the Stache, but I think that is at option C right now. My first option is to try and find a steal on eBay. I have been keeping my on the FS rigs and there are deals to be had. My second option is FS, and then AM HT which would be the Stache. I have a month or so before I plan to buy.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bike Whisperer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,888
    Quote Originally Posted by WasteMindu View Post
    I like the Hobgoblin a lot and have been giving that a hard look.

    Currently, I am looking at the Airborne HG, Trek Stache 7, and keeping my eye on eBay. I would really like to find something with 4" or more for FS or something like the Stache which is all-mountain HT with 29" wheels.
    Factor in wheels into your price on what you're looking at...the OEM ones are very unlikely to hold up under your weight.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

    Blog

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    149
    If I was you I would ride what you got and buy a santa cruz tallboy frame that is on clearance and start buying closeout parts for it. You could have a nice build for about 2500. I just bought a frame and fork and have about 1400 in that and you can definitely get some nice parts with the 1100 left over. That way you can buy parts when you have the cash and probably be ready to go by march when weather gets better. That's just my opinion. By the way I have 3 santa cruz bikes, 2 are mine, 1 is my wifes and they are great bikes. I am 6'3 and weigh about 270. By the way the site is at Santa Cruz Bicycles and you can find some good deals on components right now.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Joules's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,350
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarjohn21 View Post
    Great bike= $5000
    Cardiologist=$500,000

    We all can afford a good bike...

    I agree that any bike is pretty inexpensive compared to an inactive lifestyle.
    However if you can't enjoy yourself on a $2k bike, I'd have a hard look at your priorities.


    You typically pay a premium for names like Specialized and Trek, I'd stay with smaller brands where you get more for your money.

    If I were looking for a 29er at your budget and with my stereotype of cincy trails, I'd probably get something like this: Sette Razzo XT 10 Speed 29er Alloy Mountain Bike at Price Point
    and hold back the rest of your budget for some better wheels once the ones it comes with start getting beat up.

    The Marin rift 29 would be high on my list for a suspension bike. Also the SC tallboy:
    2013 Santa Cruz Bicycles Tallboy D XC Complete Bike - Competitive Cyclist
    if not for the Avid brakes would be a good choice.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    76
    So I go the HT route on my new bike, does anyone have some good suggestions on a wheel set to replace the ones that come with it?

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Joules's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,350
    Handspun Trail Series 13 Rear Wheel 29" 32h SRAM X.9 / No Tubes Flow / DT Competition All Black - AEBike.com

    is what I'm rocking with a hope/flow in front (only because Sram didn't have a 20mm version at the time I got it). Nothing fancy, but the price was right (I wasn't sold on the whole 29er thing when I got the frame, so didn't want to spend more than I had to finding out).
    The X7 hub has crappy engagement, but other than that it's been fine so far.

    You could have someone rebuild whatever hubs the bike comes with. That would probably save you some money and get you a better wheel if you find the right builder.
    Also keep in mind, you would probably only need to replace the rear - that's the one that's going to have problems.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    76
    Thanks for the suggestion. I just not to sure if I want to go the route of HT, right now. The Hobgoblin is a great build and I am thinking of going that route and buying a new wheelset when needed.

  18. #18
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    4,505
    The Hobgoblin with Hopes and Flows would be awesome.
    I like turtles

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bike Whisperer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,888
    Quote Originally Posted by WasteMindu View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion. I just not to sure if I want to go the route of HT, right now. The Hobgoblin is a great build and I am thinking of going that route and buying a new wheelset when needed.
    Halo Freedom 29 wheelset in white...killer looking and bomber
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

    Blog

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    844
    Quote Originally Posted by WasteMindu View Post
    Hey Guys, first off let me give you the low down on myself. Just started riding in Cincinnati in July 2012 (I am experienced on a bike from earlier years) on a 2006 Trek 4300 and I am now ready to buy a new bike. I am 6'4 ~275lbs. I want to buy a 29er, and I have a budget of ~$2K +/- $200. I ride mostly in the Cincinnati area and venture west a bit to IN.

    Knowing my range what is the best bike I can get that will handle me, but also the occassional jump (~2 feet)? I am open to FS or HT, just don't know what can handle a beating, so I figured I would come here and hear the debate and suggestions.
    6'3" 255 lbs here. just built up my first 29er and ironically I STARTED with the wheels! I got a GREAT deal on WTB TCS Trail 29er wheels on chainlove for $240 Sadly, they are sold out so that isn't an option for you. for lighter weight riders they are considered a bit on the heavy side for XC use but that basically makes them perfect for us big guys. So far I've had zero issues with them. But the bottom line is that if you don't really have a super tight budget but at your size it's really going to be much more important to get the right equipment. so splurge on things like wheels and proper suspension fork. Tower pro fork can be had now for under $400 and they just released the XX Firm "Clydesdale spring" Look at going lower level with your components to save a few bucks. you will be better off with proper wheels and fork than you will be with XTR shifters on shitty wheels. Lastly, how mechanically inclined are you? have you wrenched on your current bike? if you're willing to take time to source parts, you can get a great bike on your budget with a combo of new and gently used parts. I just completed my build and I'm at $1200 with the aforementioned wheels, SLX crank and shifters new, gently used XT brakes, and deraileurs. it rides great. The frame is a very entry level diamondback but with the amount of falling over and crashing I'm doing as a newbie to MTB I'm holding off on getting a nice frame.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5
    I looked at specialized stumpjumpers and the carve was fairly similar. getting the "entry" level one ($1300) would leave you enough money to get a pretty decent hand built wheelset down the road when you need to. comes in 29er and xl frames aswell.

    i went another route as my budget was about 1250 and the bike shop i went to had another brand marked down from 850 to 529 so i got that and a handbuilt rear wheel.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dnlwthrn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,243
    Quote Originally Posted by carrlf View Post
    If I was you I would ride what you got and buy a santa cruz tallboy frame that is on clearance and start buying closeout parts for it. You could have a nice build for about 2500. I just bought a frame and fork and have about 1400 in that and you can definitely get some nice parts with the 1100 left over. That way you can buy parts when you have the cash and probably be ready to go by march when weather gets better. That's just my opinion. By the way I have 3 santa cruz bikes, 2 are mine, 1 is my wifes and they are great bikes. I am 6'3 and weigh about 270. By the way the site is at Santa Cruz Bicycles and you can find some good deals on components right now.
    This is a great way to go if you're handy. I just did the same thing. Roughly $2500 in, and the only thing that may not handle his weight are the wheels.



    This is a large, with full XT and a carbon bar. I probably could have gotten the total down to $2k, but wanted the more expensive red ano parts and got tired of waiting for Pricepoint to get the Tower Pro back in stock. The fork alone would have saved $300...

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    898
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    A word of warning... I was breaking spoke nipples like it was my job and the rims that come on these bikes are too narrow for big guys.
    I broke a lot of spokes on my RH. Turned out the factory build was a bit rubbish. I had it rebuilt under warranty with decent spokes and nipples and it's been fine ever since.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    898
    Don't feel you need to upgrade anything to make it "clydable". Buy a bike in your price range from a good shop and ride it regularly without changing anything for six months. In that time, any components that aren't up to the task will break and you can replace them under warranty easily.

    Anything else is just buying upgrades to show off.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    468
    Quote Originally Posted by dnlwthrn View Post
    This is a great way to go if you're handy. I just did the same thing. Roughly $2500 in, and the only thing that may not handle his weight are the wheels.



    This is a large, with full XT and a carbon bar. I probably could have gotten the total down to $2k, but wanted the more expensive red ano parts and got tired of waiting for Pricepoint to get the Tower Pro back in stock. The fork alone would have saved $300...
    Nice,

    I would buy a set of Stan's Fowex wheelsets first thing and sell the other wheels to off set the coat. Then he should have a sturdy bike.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •