Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Clydes and Crashes

Is it just me, or does it seem like when you crash (you being a clyde) you do way more damage to yourself and equipment than all the little racer guys do?

I OTB and have to get 4 new teeth and 25 stitches, my 165lb friend OTBs and he needs some ibuprofen.

Do i just need to learn how to fall better? Maybe some JUDO lessons?

turtles make me hot
    When I hit the ground, I hit it hard. I've even broken my right forearm. My last fall was pretty good. Went over the bars and actually laned on my Camelback and left side. Had my arms tucked in, so no real injuries. Worst part was smackin' my ankle on the steerer stem. It blew up like a balloon, but I was able to ride out.
    Yeah, we definitely hit the ground harder than a guy that weighs 100 pounds less.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I find the extra fat cushions my falls.:-)

Happy shredding :)
    Aug 2011
    Personally, I like being a tall rider. More often than not when I have to bail I get feline with it, land feet down and do the trot-trot-trot instead of the roll-tumble-slam-tumble.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Falling is like everything els the more practice you get the better you are at it.

Unfortunately I am pretty good at falling. I can wipe out pretty spectacularly and not brant worse for wear. When I first got into mountain biking about 10 years ago, if I crashed, I was either hurting, or I broke something on the bike.

mtbr member
    'The bigger they are, the harder they fall' has never made more sense than after a OTB fall
    "Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride." - John F. Kennedy

Setup:
    11' Giant XTC 2 29er

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I went OTB at ~22 mph three weeks ago. A couple of beers that night to alleviate the pain and I was on the bike again the next day. Did have one huge bruise on the side of my left leg from my hip to just above my knee.

mtbr member
    Yes it is true that we get hurt more in falls, I had to quit racing Supermoto because of this. Everytime I went down I got hurt but everytime one of the little jockey mofo's went down nothing happened to them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    If you aren't crashing, you aren't mountain biking...
    My most painful crashes have happened while riding at my slowest speeds.

Oh Yeah Baby
    Learn how to fall, try not to panic. It all seems to happen in "slow-motion" for me.
    Misfit Psycles diSSent

Back of the pack doping.
    My most painful crashes have happened while riding at my slowest speeds.
    This so much for real.

Judo helps me with my falling, apart from that most of my falls are slow motion brain farts, and they're embarrassing as hell.
    My EBB so loud
    I'm mashing...

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 14Stone View Post
    This so much for real.

Judo helps me with my falling, apart from that most of my falls are slow motion brain farts, and they're embarrassing as hell.
    This brings up another question. How many people that get hurt pretty easily started mountain biking later in life vs those of us that have ridden (and consequently crashed) most of our lives? I raced through my teens and early 20s. It wasnt until I graduated college and started living at 35,000 feet that I joined clydes ranks. Learning how to crash early in life has translated to far fewer injuries now.

That said, my last major crash was on a trail I have literally ridden 500 times in my life and was a complete brain fart where I wasn't paying attention.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 930 View Post
    This brings up another question. How many people that get hurt pretty easily started mountain biking later in life vs those of us that have ridden (and consequently crashed) most of our lives? I raced through my teens and early 20s. It wasnt until I graduated college and started living at 35,000 feet that I joined clydes ranks. Learning how to crash early in life has translated to far fewer injuries now.

That said, my last major crash was on a trail I have literally ridden 500 times in my life and was a complete brain fart where I wasn't paying attention.

I too raced XC in my younger years. And I do quite a bit of trials biking and competed in that too. And I took martial arts through my teenage years. So, knock on wood, I haven't had a bad crash for quite a long time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 930 View Post
    It wasn't until I graduated college and started living at 35,000 feet that I joined clydes ranks.
    How do you live at 35,000 feet? That is higher than Mt Everest.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I think you may need the judo lessons or something like that. I'm now 52, 6'4' & 225lbs so I should hit the ground as hard as most clydes. I went over the bars on a rocky downhill this weekend and only had a few scrapes and bruises to show for it. Here is link to the video - the fall starts at ~ 1 minute .

I guess judo when I was a kid, football and such during school and motocross / dirt bike racing after that I instinctively avoid a lot of injuries. I remember during this weekend's fall I was making decisions on where & how to land while I was in the air. Once I was on my back I grabbed a handful of tree to prevent sliding over the cliff next to the trail.
    Last edited by CxAgent2; 08-30-2011 at 05:24 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CxAgent2 View Post
    How do you live at 35,000 feet? That is higher than Mt Everest.
    Up until about April this year, I was on a plane at least twice a week. Some weeks would be four to five days. I was making a joke about how much time I spent on a plane over the last five or so years.

Back of the pack doping.
    Ack, every time I watch a crash video my skin crawls. Good recovery, but try not to stop yourself with your hands. Its an easy way to break all those fragile bones in there. If I go down, usually I try to wear it all on my shoulders and side. I'll take a broken rib over a wrist any day.

Cause you know, I'm sure I'll follow my own advice next time I go face first into a rock garden.......
    My EBB so loud
    I'm mashing...

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I agree with you to NOT try to stop yourself with your hands in most crashes. There are times when I'm willing to sacrifice a finger / hand / wrist to save something else.

I got my hands out to protect my neck. I distinctly remember going over and thinking I wasn't going fast enough to get all the way over on to my back so I got my hands out. I did NOT want to do a pile driver on my head/neck. As I was going over I was doing a hand stand and slowly lowered my weight down off my hands to my head/helmet. You can see that point in the video when the camera is showing my right hand with the fingers pointed towards the camera. After that it was just roll onto my back.

I think the funny part doesn't show in the video. As I was going over it dawned on me that there was a pretty steep drop on that right side where I was falling. I caught a handful of cedar branches in my left hand while I was still falling. I wouldn't let go of those little twigs & such until I had my feet under me so I knew I wouldn't slip down the hill. Made it hard to stand up with my left hand stretched out behind my head.

Back of the pack doping.
    Crashing sucks either way

Worst *Read: Humiliating* crash I had was a slow OTB crash. No joke I knew I was going down, and it felt like it took at least 5 seconds for the fall to complete. Worst part is, I don't even know what caused it.
    My EBB so loud
    I'm mashing...

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 14Stone View Post
    Crashing sucks either way

Worst *Read: Humiliating* crash I had was a slow OTB crash. No joke I knew I was going down, and it felt like it took at least 5 seconds for the fall to complete. Worst part is, I don't even know what caused it.
    Those are the worse. You are perched on your front wheel going, "can I save this or should I bail now?" You know it is going to be bad when you can have a whole conversation in your head before you actually hit the ground.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    6'2" 235. crash is a bit past the 1 minute mark. I m not totally sure what happened even when I see myself lose control in the video. luckily I have been falling my whole life, in snowboarding, skating, etc...
    Last edited by Low_; 08-30-2011 at 09:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shocker99 View Post
    Learn how to fall, try not to panic. It all seems to happen in "slow-motion" for me.
    Opposite for me, its just happens and I tend not to remember it a few seconds later. As soon as it happens I just think 'oh **** this completely caught me off guard' and the next thing I know I'm on the ground.
    "Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride." - John F. Kennedy

Setup:
    11' Giant XTC 2 29er

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    big tree fall hard... lol

When i fell I usually take out a buddy or a object in front of me but i usually just get up and walk it off. Sometimes limping

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    You need to learn to tuck and roll when falling and hope to god you going to be okay and able to finish your ride.

mtbr member
    I tend not get hurt (6'7" 325 for reference) when I crash other than the occasional scrapes and bruises. I attribute it to years of martial arts (Hap Ki Do) and spending most of my teens on a skate board. You learn to take a fall. That said my worst crash was OTB, where I ended up with a smashed helmet and a concussion. No idea what happened. Don't remember a few hundred yards of trail leading up to where I crashed and my ride partner was far enough behind me that he didn't see it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast