No talent hack
    Nov 2010

Clydes and coil-over rear shocks?

So I am growing tired of my finicky air shock on my old bike and I am trying to get ramped up to buy a new bike. I will likely buy something from the big 3 (actually, either a Trek Superfly 100 or a Specialized Camber/FSR 29er), but I have questions about the rear shock. Are there any folks riding the more XC orientated bikes (I live in Texas.... what we call touch hills, most would laugh at) with a coil-over rear?

I guess what I am asking is... can a guy weighing 250-275 or so get away with riding something like the Rock Shox Vivd R2 and if so, would that guy be able to get a spring rate that would give the right amount of sag.

I have a hard time framing the question because it is kind of broad..... but I would really like to have a bike that I can ride without worrying about the rear shock blowing out (my current ride has a dead negative air chamber that cannot be repaired due to lack of replacement parts from SRAM).
    2013 Specialized Camber Comp
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0
    2015 Surly Karate Monkey Ops (the commuter)

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Let me add, I know about PUSH and if I am stuck with an air shock, they will bless it before I spend time riding the bike... maybe even order the shock before I get the bike so there is little down time... I just like the feel of my coil-over front fork and I like not fiddling with air every time I want to ride.
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0

Your bike is incorrigible
    Let me put it this way: I have a four year old Heckler with a Pushed Fox Float on it and it has never been a problem. I had more problems with my 5th Element trying to get a spring rate that felt right. When I got my Fox Pushed I was about 235#. I gained some weight and still never had a problem.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    The more I have thought baout this today, the more I think I should say "nevermind." A PUSH'd air shock makes sense since I am losing weight.... if I found a coil that worked, I would have to change if I lost too much weight. so yeah.... nevermind.
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0