No talent hack
    Nov 2010

Clydes and coil-over rear shocks?

So I am growing tired of my finicky air shock on my old bike and I am trying to get ramped up to buy a new bike. I will likely buy something from the big 3 (actually, either a Trek Superfly 100 or a Specialized Camber/FSR 29er), but I have questions about the rear shock. Are there any folks riding the more XC orientated bikes (I live in Texas.... what we call touch hills, most would laugh at) with a coil-over rear?

I guess what I am asking is... can a guy weighing 250-275 or so get away with riding something like the Rock Shox Vivd R2 and if so, would that guy be able to get a spring rate that would give the right amount of sag.

I have a hard time framing the question because it is kind of broad..... but I would really like to have a bike that I can ride without worrying about the rear shock blowing out (my current ride has a dead negative air chamber that cannot be repaired due to lack of replacement parts from SRAM).
    Fat guys need bikes too.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Let me add, I know about PUSH and if I am stuck with an air shock, they will bless it before I spend time riding the bike... maybe even order the shock before I get the bike so there is little down time... I just like the feel of my coil-over front fork and I like not fiddling with air every time I want to ride.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

Your bike is incorrigible
    Let me put it this way: I have a four year old Heckler with a Pushed Fox Float on it and it has never been a problem. I had more problems with my 5th Element trying to get a spring rate that felt right. When I got my Fox Pushed I was about 235#. I gained some weight and still never had a problem.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    The more I have thought baout this today, the more I think I should say "nevermind." A PUSH'd air shock makes sense since I am losing weight.... if I found a coil that worked, I would have to change if I lost too much weight. so yeah.... nevermind.
    Fat guys need bikes too.