mtbr member

Clydes and Cassettes

Hey guys, 290lb rider here.

I've been burning through cassettes about every 2 months and its starting to get annoying. Mostly just the middle 3 rings on my 9spd setup.

I'm thinking about picking up a SRAM PG-990 off chainlove, but do you guys have any other recommendations for a cass that will last me a little longer? I guess I'll ask for chain recommendations while I'm at it since the chain is just as beat as the cass.

Thanks.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    A cassette every two months is pretty extreme. I'd be interested to know more details about your situation:

Are you also getting a new chain each time you replace the cassette?

Which model cassette(s) are you burning through?

What kind of mileage?

What kind of terrain/conditions are you riding in?

What brand/model rear hub are you using (if you're ruining cassettes with pure brute force/strength, you're also probably capable of ruining cheaper freehubs)?

A few years back, I ruined three XT cassettes (bent or ripped the teeth off of them) and swore them off for a while. At the recommendation of a shop mechanic, I went to the LX level cassette and had no problem with them, but they weighed a bit more and are not carrier mounted cogs. I could care less about the carrier when I was using steel freehub bodies, but now that I have been using aluminum freehub bodies, that has become an issue for me. My last couple cassettes have been SRAM 990 models and they have been very durable.

I recently decided to give a newer XT model a shot since they have added another arm to the carrier on this 10sp model than they had on the ones I had trouble with, but I have only had it for a month or so and haven't been riding much during that time. During the time I was having trouble with the XT cassettes, I was around 280 to 300lbs. As I got stronger, the LX and 990 cassettes were holding up, but I began to destroy the Shimano freehubs, but that another issue altogether. . . .

The irony is that if you're strong enough to wipe out a cassette, the LX is hell for strong, but it's not carrier mounted. In order to run that type of cassette you'll want a freehub body that is not aluminum, so if I were to recommend a carrier mounted cassette that has worked well for me over the long haul, it would be the SRAM 990.

Dirt Deviant
    300lbs'er checking in to say i use pg990 cassettes and pc991 cross step chains.
    I did wear out my whole drivetrain between July and Sept this summer though.
    But i did around 90,000 feet of climbing in that period....and was lacking on keeping my drivetrain clean, which i am normally very good about.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

Dirt Deviant
    Wanted to add that i destroy freehubs.
    Several were destroyed in only a few rides, that is until i switched to Chris king and hope hubs.
    Not a problem since.
    Both aluminum fh bodies too.
    I get some minor scoring but nothing a fine file won't clean up.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I'm 300 plus and run a PG990 in the rear. Had an issue with rear derailuer and didn't get fixed fast enough, chain dropped down under power and bent on of the cogs. Hammered it back into place and still going. I think I've got two years on it with no other problems and the first was really my fault. I change chains regularly (monitor them with a stretch tool) and my cranks and cassette have been holding up well.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys.. I'm not sure what cassette is on right now since it's what the lbs had in stock the last time I replaced it. I'm running stock C29ssmax wheels right now. Conditions here in south florida range from must to dry sand. I hose down the drive train after each ride and lube the chain before each ride. I think il give the 990 a shot.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm 6'5" 330 right now and I have a 990 on my Stumpy. I used one on my 29er too for a bit until I swapped my 11-34 with a steel Shimano 12-36 cassette. The 990 has been fine so far. Found both of them pretty "cheap" online. It's weird because when I rode bikes like 10 years ago I would go through cassettes too, well I would bend them and then hammer them back out cause I was broke. Now though, I haven't really bent any recently for the past 1.5 years I've been riding regularly again. I have the 990 on my CK steel hubs. Had to upgrade to CK because I did blow out the Shimano 525's and my DT's like nobody's business and got sick of walking my big ass back to the car. I say try the 990s.

mtbr member
    I'm not breaking them, I'm just wearing out the teeth enough that they skip and miss ALOT, I've added a bunch of new scars to the backs of my legs from chain skip and declipping.

I'll pick up a 990 online next week and give it a shot. Do you guys also recommend I go with the 991 chain to?