mtbr member

New question here. Clydes on Carbon

I'm 6'2" 210 & thinking about a Niner AIR 9 carbon. I ride pretty hard but all cross country. Any big guys not afraid of cracking a carbon frame? If anyone is riding carbon, any issues? Should I stick with steel frames?

Thanks
    "Prollyisnotprobably"

mtbr member
    May 2008
    You will be more than fine. I had an a9c and it was bulletproof. I went to Ti for a little more give on the HT but have been riding a Jet 9 Rdo all year very hard and it hasn't missed a beat. I am 6'6" and 230.

@trailgrinder
    I'm over 200 and ride hard and fast on both up and downhill and ride a superfly 100 elite. Doesn't matter what it is you can break it but my bike has been bulletproof.

Climbs = necessary evil
    I just demoed an Air9 RDO yesterday - I'm 6'2" and 250 geared up. I really liked it except for pedal strikes on small (4-5") rocks on the trails. Didn't check the specs to see if the bottom bracket is lower than the other ones I've demoed or not, but hadn't had any problems with the other bikes.

Back on topic - it felt very stiff and durable and of all the demo bikes I've been on in the last 4 weeks, this one was showing the least wear. I also saw a stress test to failure video from Santa Cruz the other day and the Carbon frame took about 50% more force to break than the AL equivalent.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    6'2" @ 215 have had my A9C For a year. ride very rugged under developed trails it begs for more long after I have given out

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Carbon

I've never used carbon, not a lot out there for a 6'8 guy, buy ti sure is nice. For that matter a good aluminum frame is also very good.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I found this video amusing and it settled my fears of buying a carbon bike. I've been thinking about a carbon nomad.

Pinkbike Visits The Santa Cruz Test Lab Video - Pinkbike

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Not to thread jack, but has anyone tried the 456 Carbon? Just curious how those have held up to a clyde.

Ow!
    I am riding two carbon bikes now (Blur LTc and 456c). I am 260 lbs riding rocky trails and some drops, and the LTc is working out great. Built the 456c this summer but didn't ride much (105 d), but will be working it over on the rocks and 2-3' drops this winter. It seems strong, but a bit "plasticky" compared to the LTc. It is fun, with the weight being a positive.

I am a carbon convert, but will see how they function over time. That LTc is the stiffest frame I have ever ridden (over 20 years of riding).

mtbr member
    Agreed on the LTc, just built mine up two weeks ago, super stiff. (5'`11" 250#) 650B build.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I need to start saving for a carbon Tallboy LT.
    Last edited by mtnbiker1220; 09-24-2012 at 07:47 AM.
    Mark Jones

2009 Specialized Rockhopper Expert Disc 29

Toro
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGreg View Post
    I found this vidng and it settled my fears of buying a carbon bike. I've been thinking about a carbon nomad.

Pinkbike Visits The Santa Cruz Test Lab Video - Pinkbike
    This video convinced me as well. I was nervous to go with carbon but now I just love it. I'm 6'2" 225# on a flash.
    Ricardo aka "El Toro"
    Team Raging Toro
    Toro Page on G+

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    I have ridden 4 carbon mtn bike frames over the years, tomac carbine XC, OnOne 456 carbon, BlurLTC, NomadC. I weight in at about 260-270 lbs any given day and ride about 3 time a week.

The Tomac is a pure XC bike fast but not that tough of a frame, but hey its a XC bike.

The OnOne 456 carbon. this is a nice frame but I had the unfinished version and there where a few too many visable flaws in the finish for me to ever to be happy. that being said it rode very well. was solid and fast.

blurLTC. this is a great trail bike. climbs pretty well, desends pretty well, corners pretty well. Honestly it is a very nice bike but nothing impressive. it is very stiff and has a very low leverage ratio which is nice for big guys.

NomadC. This is my current ride. I switched to this from my BlurLTC because I moved to an area that has more challenging terrain. I wanted a slacker and longer travel bike. to be honest this bike makes be wonder why the BlurLTC even exsist. The NomadC is everything BlurLTC and then some. The NomadC is barely heavier (.2lbs on my scale) and is a much more capable bike in every aspect. It climbs the same or better, Desends WAY better, and has overall better trail manner, and it is deffinitly faster than the BlurLTC. all said and done the bike only weight 1lbs more than my BlurLTC did and most of the parts came off the BLurLTC.

pretty obvious I like the Nomad more than the BlurLTC. Its worth a good long looks if you are looking at the Blur. Also I think the new BlurLT alum version has fixed some of the ho humness of the BlurLTC because they changes the geo on it.

I hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I am a clyde @ 265# thinking about an S-Works Stumpy frame to replaced my 09 Rockhopper. I want a super stiff frame, don't really care about weight.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    I have been riding a Trek STP200 (OCLV, soft tail) for the last 2 years and have had no issues. And it is a lot more flexible than the newer carbon bikes...
    Fat guys need bikes too.

fliernh
    Aug 2008
    5'11" and 248. Rode stumpy S Works FSR carbon for 4 years, just replaced it with Stumpy FSR carbon 29 Expert. No problems with either of them, both going strong and no signs of wear or damage. I ride 3-4 days a week all summer long. I do have shock and fork services yearly.

Mark
    13 Stumpy FSR Expert Carbon 29
    09 FSR Stumpy S-Works
    11 Surly Pugsley
    04 Klein Attitude Race

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Im riding a ACCESS 29er and I dont ride it any differently than I do my steel or aluminum bikes. Im appx 240 geared up.
    ACCESS Stealth 3.0 carbon 29'er
    GT-R Pro
    Surly 1x1
    Surly Disc Trucker

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I am 5'10 and 250 not geared up. I have a 11 Trek Elite 9.8 carbon hardtail. I am scared sometimes when I ride over very rough terrain. I have a Revelation U-turn fork set up very plush so when I am descending downhill over the rough it takes most of the vibration out of the bars. I am waiting for the headtube to fall apart. I also I have a Foes XCT 5 that I usually use in the rough stuff.

But so far it has held up and no problems. I am just sketchy about my weight and a light carbon hardtail. As far as I can tell Trek does not have a weight limit on their frames. So before investing in a frame check to see if they a weight limit first. My frame was free so I have no actual money invested in it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I have had my air 9 carbon for 21 months and it has over 5000 miles on it including 2 seasons of racing and I cannot break it super strong frame and I have cracked every frame I have owned.I weighed 265 when I first got this bike and now weigh in at 217 6ft4 tall.I recommend this frame for ss if you want to run gears get the air 9 rdo which has much better internal cable routing and is a little smoother ride due to the thinner seat stays.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I've had three carbon Treks...have cracked the frame on one (an 06' 9.9) and cracked the front deraillaeur mounting block on two ('10 Superfly, '11 Superfly Elite). The mounting block issue...well, that didn't affect the performance so much as it made me nervous. Otherwise, I've been quite happy with my carbon rides!

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by trailmonkey72 View Post
    I've had three carbon Treks...have cracked the frame on one (an 06' 9.9) and cracked the front deraillaeur mounting block on two ('10 Superfly, '11 Superfly Elite). The mounting block issue...well, that didn't affect the performance so much as it made me nervous. Otherwise, I've been quite happy with my carbon rides!
    this kind of shows that not all carbon is the same. I'm not say that Trek doesn't/cant make some very good bike but its seems like they are willing to go lighter than they should on there carbon bikes.

you will see that there are very few broken santacuz, giant, fuji, and many other carbon bike manufactures. when I use to work in a shop (for like 10 years) the rate of carbon failure was much lower then any other frame material for sure. but that being said it also had the highest recall ration of any material as well. this recall ration began to fall drastically before I left working at a bike shop as the companies started to figure out how to use carbon properly.

at this point I don't hasten to ride any quality carbon product.