mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Clydeproof Wheelset...to buy or to pass?

All,

I have been trying to piece together a set of clyde proof wheels. I have looked at all the major brands of hubs (CK, Hope, and will get some really nice rims from the LBS if I go down that path. My question is this: Has anyone ever heard anything on Teny Mag Wheels? I came across them on ebay and if they would stand up to my frame that would be great!

Thanks,

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    One of those things that has been around for years but never made it to 'real' bikes. They are shockingly heavy (over twice the weight of a decent set of wheels) with the risk of catastrophic failure being high. Never met anyone who has ridden them, their manufacturer claims they absorb shock, you can't mend a snapped spoke.
    Probably very awful indeed.
    If you do buy a pair, please make sure you film yourself riding on them

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TooTallUK View Post
    One of those things that has been around for years but never made it to 'real' bikes. They are shockingly heavy (over twice the weight of a decent set of wheels) with the risk of catastrophic failure being high. Never met anyone who has ridden them, their manufacturer claims they absorb shock, you can't mend a snapped spoke.
    Probably very awful indeed.
    If you do buy a pair, please make sure you film yourself riding on them

Good points!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT get those things the flex and snap really easy if your a bigboy

the are heavy and made from cheap plastic mine lasted about 13 miles be for I snapped a spoke

turtles make me hot
    Use Hopes or Chris Kings based on how much you want to spend. Stan's Flow Ex rims with DT Swiss double butted spokes with brass nipples.
    I weigh 255 and don't hurt this combo.
    I like turtles

Certified Clyde
    Personal opinion, if you can afford them, get a custom built set from a good builder. They can offer you several options for different price ranges. I have a set of Mikesee Hope Pros to Ritchey OCR wheels, and two pairs of Joe Young wheels using White Industries M16's with various rims.

A well respected wheelbuilder will give you price options based upon your weight and riding style. Most of my wheelsets have been in the $500-600 range, which is reasonable for reasonably weighted bombproof wheels that I have moved from bike to bike over the years.

That said, if your price range is lower, there should be some good options as well (XT hubs with Arch rims for example). Universal Cycles online has a wheelbuilder app that lets you price various options, and they build a decent wheel for a reasonable price.

Just my experience as a shrinking (305 to 218) clyde.
    - Cody

This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I am 6'8", 240lbs.

I am looking at a set of the Mavic Crossride Disc, because they look very sturdy, but I would like any feedback on them. Are they good for heavy riders?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Phinox View Post
    DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT get those things the flex and snap really easy if your a bigboy

the are heavy and made from cheap plastic mine lasted about 13 miles be for I snapped a spoke
    Alrighty then... I was loving the look and all, but if they won't make it past a weekend ride, then I'll pass.

Thanks for the feedback!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Mikesee did a set of MTX33s for me a couple years ago: 36H, M756 rear and Alfine dynamo front hubs. He also built a front wheel for my Rockhopper that used a 36H Alfine and a Stan's Flow rim.

If there's a way to break these short of throwing them under a train, I haven't found it.