mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Clydeproof Marzocchi

I want to step up to a sturdy clydeproof Marzocchi fork. I want it to be sturdy and have a minimum of gadgets though I would like it to climb. I like oil and springs. I don't like air and gadgets. Preferably 130 - 150mm. I want to be able to do alittle of everything. All Mountain.

I am lookin at the 2005 Z1 FR, 2006 Z1 Light, 2006 All Mountain 1, 2006 Drop Off 1. They all seem very similar. Any recommendations on one over the other. Is there another Marz just right for clydes?

Freshly Fujified

'05 Z-1 Fr

32mm stanchions, dual coil, HSCV damping, 20mm dropouts. This combination makes for a beefy fork with one of Marzocchi's best, time proven, plushest dampening systems (HSCV). The other choices are also suitable, and have their own pros and cons. You say you don't like air and gadgets? With the exception of the Drop Off 1, the other choices you're looking at have gadgets, and/or are one side air, one side coil.

I was in a similar quandry and almost bought an '05 All Mountain 1. I opted for an '04 Z-1 FR for the reasons I listed above. I'm also a believer in coil/oil and simplicity. I'm happy with my choice. Others may feel different, but given what you say you want, the '05 Z-1 FR is the ticket.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

The Sentinel

I'm riding an '05 AM-1

250 lbs here, and I am loving my 2005 AM-1. In certain circumstances (like stuffing the front wheel into a hole at the bottom of a long run out), I wish it were a little stiffer...by that I mean that it resisted rotational forces a little better, but in the majority of cases, it has been the perfect fork for me. The AM-1 has a QR and a 20 mm thru axle would solve the rotational problem, so I am considering building a Frankenfork to solve that issue. I think that the 2006 Z1 FR is essentially the same as the Frankenfork, but it is pretty spendy.
    Sworn to avenge, condemned to hell

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks for the replies guys. There may not be a choice, but are either of you using stiffer springs? Different oil?

Freshly Fujified

I am using X-Firm springs

Quote Originally Posted by WildJackal
    Thanks for the replies guys. There may not be a choice, but are either of you using stiffer springs? Different oil?
    I have yet to install them, but I purchased a set of Extra Firm springs off ebay. I have yet to bottom out on my fork, but I can get almost 3/4 travel bunnyhopping in my parking lot, so I ponied up the money. Only cost me $23.00 shipped off ebay. If you're over 220 lbs or so, go with the Extra firm.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

not so super...
    The AM1 or Z1 Light ETA are the ones you need to look at. Both utilize one coil leg and the other uses an air assist so you don't have to swap springs and try to get the proper sag. The oil can be changed to a thicker viscosity to fine tune the damping and oil height will allow for bottom-out fine tuning.

AM1 has standard drop outs and the Z1 uses a 20mm thru-axle.
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Hi, I have a friend that is building up a bike with tugh stuff that should be able to handle his 350 lbs. He's got a 05 Marzocchi am-1 fork but is having a really hard time finding springs for the fork. Marzocchi don't have any x firm springs or anything for that matter. Instead they want to or actually insists in he getting a dirt jumper 3 instead of using his brand new am fork. Idon't know if they care about the customer or they just want to sell new forks instead of helping anyone.

Brackish
    I've had Marz Jr T and MX Pro, and rode the '05 All Mountain 3 and they all stand up well to my big ass (240). I have heard nothing but bad hings about the Drop Off series, though, I'd stay away from that one. Heavy, poor travel characteristics, etc.

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by mohouli
    Hi, I have a friend that is building up a bike with tugh stuff that should be able to handle his 350 lbs. He's got a 05 Marzocchi am-1 fork but is having a really hard time finding springs for the fork. Marzocchi don't have any x firm springs or anything for that matter. Instead they want to or actually insists in he getting a dirt jumper 3 instead of using his brand new am fork. Idon't know if they care about the customer or they just want to sell new forks instead of helping anyone.
    There are no spring kits for the AM1 fork. It use a low pressure air chamber in the left leg as a helper spring. Add air to set the correct sag.
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    There are no spring kits for the AM1 fork. It use a low pressure air chamber in the left leg as a helper spring. Add air to set the correct sag.
    No helper springs or and extra firm coil spring for the all mountain fork. Hmm, I'm not as heavy as my friend, but I have an extra coil spring for my marzocchi z2 fork. I really love my fork, but, I'm only 210 pounds. Should my friend put in heavier oil or what?

not so super...
    No helper springs or and extra firm coil spring for the all mountain fork. Hmm, I'm not as heavy as my friend, but I have an extra coil spring for my marzocchi z2 fork. I really love my fork, but, I'm only 210 pounds. Should my friend put in heavier oil or what?
    You can use heavier oil but it will only have an effect in the right leg. Try 10wt first and make sure you add 140-145ml after a complete drain (which includes removing the damping cartridge and cycling it to remove all fluid. The TST compression damping is in a sealed cartridge so the oil in the left leg is only there for lubrication and there is no spring in this leg. No real need to change it.

Did you ever stop to think that there is a good reason that Zocchi is telling him to change to a fork in the Dirt Jumper line? Most likely for the steel steertube.
    Last edited by SSINGA; 07-28-2006 at 05:20 AM.
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Wow, thanks for this info.

Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    You can use heavier oil but it will only have an effect in the right leg. Try 10wt first and make sure you add 140-145ml after a complete drain (which includes removing the damping cartridge and cycling it to remove all fluid. The TST compression damping is in a sealed cartridge so the oil in the left leg is only there for lubrication and there is no spring in this leg. No real need to change it.

Did you ever stop to think that there is a good reason that Zocchi is telling him to change to a fork in the Dirt Jumper line? Most likely for the steel steertube.
    Hmm, so you think that only a little heavier weight oil is whats needed for his fork? I thought since he's so heavy, maybe he needs a 20 pound weight or something. I think finish line has a 20 weight oil. But, you probably think that its too heavy huh? So, I guess that he don't really need to do anything to his fork, so we can just build up his bike.

By the way, the bike that he's building up is:
    Sette Shadow frame
    Marzocchi all mountain 1 fork
    race face diabollis headset
    thomson stem
    kore handlebar
    race face diabollis triple crankset
    deore xt front and rear derraillleur
    sram 950 cassette
    sram 990 chain
    aztec cable
    deore xt hub with sun rhyno xt rim 14 gauge DT 36 spoke
    panaracer fire xc tires 2.1
    avid juicy 7 203mm front and rear
    sram attack shifter
    titus xc pro seatpost
    brooks team pro saddle

Do you think its OK for the 350 pound rider?

not so super...
    Do you think its OK for the 350 pound rider?
    Hard to say. It depends on how and where he rides.
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Hi, my friend you know the 350 pound guy, well he used to do a lot of BMX riding when he was younger. Well, now, he's been without a bike for a while, and he wants a bike that he can use "off road" I guess all mountain trail riding, with long smooth down hill, small jumps not the high insane jumps, and he wants a bike that he can take out for a fun ride that takes a few days. He does not want a bike that will disintergrate when hes ridden a ride thats a far way away. Too far to walk, maybe close to 100 mile out. This is what this guy wants.