mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Clyde-Worthy Wheels

I am in the market for an inexpensive Clyde-Worthy wheelset for my new build I am working on. I came across these on the 'bay and am about ready to pull the trigger:

Sun Rhyno-Lite 36h w/ Formula Hubs

Sun Rhyno 36h

I have done some research and I know most people will recommend I get a custom set built, but unfortunately I am on a tight budget. I have read that the Rhyno's are pretty durable. I will be mostly riding XC/all-mountain. These would be going on a HT frame.

One other thing I like about these is that they can be used with both Disc and V-Brake. I think I may start with v-brakes due to the budget, then upgrade to discs later.

Thanks for any input!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I have had the sun rhyno for 10 years....14gauge spokes and a phil wood tandem style hub. the hub has extra wide flanges and sealed cartridge bearings. expensive but good. never gone out of true. i'm 6' 2" and 300 sumthin. my LBS is a one person operation and does custom wheel builds and sets up bikes. I am his biggist fan....

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Interested in these as well. In for advice.

Former Bike Wrench
    Formula Hubs can be fine, but finding a replacement freehub body can be a challenge. Some big riders tend to blow through the "Shimano Style" freehubs so you'd at least want the ability to replace them.

I would also just go disc, Avid BB7's can be had for under $50 a wheel so there is no reason to spend money on V-brakes first just to replace them down the trail.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I too need a new wheelset, I'm loving the $ of these at the supplied link!

Tessai

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    the RinoLites are up for the task no problem but I am not crazy about Formula hubs. I am 6'2" and 290lbs and I ride on Sun Singletracks on Jumping Flea hubs 36 spoke and have had no problems with 3ft. to flat drops.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    what marty said

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    How about Mavic XM 321 with Deore XT Hubs?

Probably drunk right now

Budget?

What's your budget? For stock wheelsets, I'm a fan of CrossMax: Crossmax SX - wheels - mountain bike - Mavic
    JPark - 3.5- don't listen to dremer

Ow!
    Gosh Darn--those Formula/Rhynos are pretty cheap. I used rhyno lites for a lot of years until I completely went to UST. The regular rhynos are good. The rhyno XLs are better. I know nothing about Formula hubs, but haven't heard a lot of bad things about them.

If you are looking for a throw-away wheelset (when something major goes wrong, then don't fix it), those wheels are probably good for you. I would re-stress and true them before you put them on your bike though. Gotta feeling they are machine-built.

But the 321s with XT hubs may be a better wheelset. 321s have a great rep. And Shimano is...well Shimano. If the freehub body goes, it is easy to find another one.

Now, if you are looking for a bit more quality, then that will add another 50-100 bucks to you. But a better wheelset.

Oh, and I agree with mtnbiker72, just get some Avid mechs from the beginning. There seems to always be some stupid deals around, and it is at the end of most folks riding season right now, so sales are coming.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I run rhyno kites with shimano dt hubs. Bought them from an lbs for less than $200. Used them online at jensonusa.com for about 150.

I have had them for about 5 years and they have held up great.

I was about 350 when I got them and road them on a hardtail.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Hows about this....

Sun SOS 32h on Shimano "Alivio" hubs (not sure the exact Model)... BWW has them on clearance for $75 per set b/c of "possible" blemishes.

mtbr member
    I was having a hell of a time with front wheels taco-ing when i'd lose traction in corners (killed 3 of them in 2 months) so i took some advice and picked up a Front Mavic C29SSMAX. It has been great! Hasn't needed to be trued and is as straight as the day i got it. I just bought the rear to match it.

FYI, I'm 290lbs.

mtbr member
    I gotta throw in a vote for Azonic Outlaws. I have two sets, one is on my DJ and the other day I cased a jump hard enough to watch the front wheel twist and only had maybe a 1/4" wobble that trued right out. Have also smacked rocks hard enough to be expecting a pinch flat (like hearing the "Ding!") and no flats (just jinxed myself there ) or dings in the rims.
    Btw, I'm about 280 geared up.
    Bikes=Sanity