MaverickMotoMedia.com

Clyde-worthy saddles

so before you go and say "use the search function," I have and my question is a bit different than the typical "which saddle is most comfortable for my fat clyde ass?" query. I'm 6'8" and about 275 pounds with a 22% bmi and I'm currently riding a 9:Zero:7 fatbike/rigid 29er over relatively technical trails with a lot of rock gardens and log overs. Again, my main issue is isn't comfort, it's strength. In the past year, I've destroyed several seats, bending the seat rails beyond function. One was from a gnarly otb crash in a rock garden that left the seat, a WTB Pure V comp, bent from tumbling down a hillside, the others, a specialized body geometry & recently, a WTB Devo with chromolly rails, have had their rails bent from impacts after going over logs or rocks.

so, my question is this: who makes a strong, but reasonably light, clyde-worthy saddle that will handle abuse from a 250-275# rider? I could care less abut comfort- I'm not looking for a Cloud9 or other well padded seat, although a typical ride for me is between 18-30 miles, so while comfort is a consideration, my main requirements are strength and light weight. What won't I destroy?
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

I Strava Hamburgers
    I've been riding a WTB Silverado now for about 4 years. I'm about 50lbs lighter then you, but when I STARTED riding on it, I was heavier then you are now.

Rails have some slight bend in them on account of some OTB hilarity, but overall its been nothing but solid. I've added the same saddle to any bike I ride now and they've all be great.

I do everything from 8H solo MTB rides on them to 70-100km gravel grinders.

I'd say stick with WTB.
    My EBB so loud
    I'm mashing...

ROOKIE
    Apr 2013
    Nothing to add here, just looking to see what people suggest. I'm sitting at 300 now, down from 345, and have gone through 3 seats. Just bought myself a brand new Rockhopper comp and then proceeded to break my hand, so doing some research before i trash my new seat lol.

mtbr member
    WTB Vigo Pro has solid (not tubular) Cro-Mo rails that are replaceable, I think that might be your best bet as I'm pretty sure you'll bend just about anything in your current setup.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    What are the seat rail materials? Titanium alloy? chromoly? This could be the root of your seat issues.
    I just snapped my Ti Alloy rails on my 155 Specialized Ronin...so I'm on the hunt for something stronger as well.

zjjason
    6'6"/265lbs

I Strava Hamburgers
    I ride Cro-Mo
    My EBB so loud
    I'm mashing...

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    my last seat, the WTB Devo is Cro-Mo. I've long assumed that Ti is out of the question. I'd be tempted to try the Ritchey WCS Vector EVO Streem, but I'm more or less married to my KS Lev seat post.

mtbr member
    Gigantic I am 275, I don't baby my saddles and am not having the same problems. WTB speed and rocket V are what I often ride. I wonder if the seat post could be playing a part in the saddles appearing weak. Things like having a post that is set back so you can center the rails of the seat.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    laotzucycles.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Specialized Avatar. Has held up for me for three years from 320 pounds down to my current 250. Great saddle.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm 325 and ride 2-3x a week and on all 3 of my bikes am running WTB Pure V w/ titanium rails and I have never broken a seat once. Not even bent one. How do you guys do it? I've also never snapped a chain, so I don't get that either and my rides are usually involve 10-15 miles w/ 1-2K with of climbing, so it's not like I'm taking it easy or anything.

mtbr member
    I've busted chains and exploded chainrings. Guess you just don't put down the power some of us do

Seriously though...I don't know how you'd break a seat outside of a drop/jump that you land while seated or you ride seated all the time even in the rough stuff.

mtbr member
    Sounds like you need to find a slightly used SDG Big Boy saddle with oversized rails.

S-Mart's Top of the Line
    WTB Power V mounted to a Thompson post. I broke the frame before I broke the seat/post.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    I've busted chains and exploded chainrings. Guess you just don't put down the power some of us do

Seriously though...I don't know how you'd break a seat outside of a drop/jump that you land while seated or you ride seated all the time even in the rough stuff.
    mostly from hitting my ass on the seat going over log-overs and drops, of which there are an inordinate amount where I ride. The other part may be related to my post, a KS Lev, which has to have the single worst clamping mechanism I've ever used; I wish I could swap it out with something else. I don't need any setback, btw, I have it set in the middle, currently.

mtbr member
    I don't think my saddle is broken but its noisy as heck. I might replace it soon or just mention it to my LBS and see what they recommend. It the saddle that came on the bike and isn't too uncomfortable, but i listen to everything and it annoys me.

Bontrager Evoke 2, chromoly rails
    2013 TREK Fuel EX 8 26er
    2010 Trek 4300 Disc

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Something for downhill? And a thompson seat post too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by masonmoa View Post
    I'm 325 and ride 2-3x a week and on all 3 of my bikes am running WTB Pure V w/ titanium rails and I have never broken a seat once. Not even bent one. How do you guys do it? I've also never snapped a chain, so I don't get that either and my rides are usually involve 10-15 miles w/ 1-2K with of climbing, so it's not like I'm taking it easy or anything.
    I'm not that heavy, but I've never broken one, either. WTB Speed V (or something) has lasted me a good 10 yrs on one of my bikes, and the Specialized saddle that came on my Enduro has been fine (although it does creak a bit).

Maybe a dropper post to get the saddle well out of your way in the obstacles? I can't remember the last time I hit my saddle hard going over or through something.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Are you running the seat with the seat post clamp near the middle of the rails? And how wide is the clamp on your seat post?

I bent rails on a Spec seat when I first got my bike, but I swapped the seat post out to one with a higher offset (to get the clamp more toward the middle of the seat rail) and a larger clamping area on the seat rails. I have been riding a Specialized Toupe Comp saddle since with no issues. FWIW, I ride the same saddle and seat post on both on and off road bikes without having issues on either bike and I am sitting at 295 right now.

You may be worse off because you are slamming down on the seat though.... with those kind of loads, you may never find a seat that lasts, so buying a cheaper model may be the answer.
    Fat guys need bikes too.