mtbr member
    May 2011

Clyde-worthy bike trainer????

Looking to purchase an indoor trainer and while there are many to choose from, I'd like to hear your thoughts on some that is considered "CLYDE-WORTHY".

Don't know if wheel size matters, but I ride a 26" HT and bout 325#.

Thanks in advance,

V

My Brain Hurts!
    I have a trainer from Giant, the magnetic one without the remote. haven't killed it yet in 2 off seasons of use...wasn't a bad price either. The trick is to go to the local shop and see what he has left lying around late spring...usually better prices on stuff they want to move or you can get a deal on a demo unit. These are not always there and if you need one now...try craigslist. the problem with trainers is 5 miles on a trainer feel like 500 long, boring miles! So a lot of folks quit using them.
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

mtbr member
    kurt kinetic road machine is the one:

I'm 270 (and dropping) and use mine all the time, it's as solid as a rock.

NotoriousMHz
    Quote Originally Posted by markymark View Post

+1
    Definitely a solid trainer. I've had zero issues with my Kinetic Road Machine. I also installed the Pro Flywheel for a better feel.
    Adam Christopher
    ♦ 2015 Santa Cruz Nomad C
    ♦ 2012 Specialized Epic Expert
    ♦ 2012 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert

mtbr member
    meh. Any trainer will do fine. Clyde-ness doesn't put much additional demands on it, since there isn't any load on the bearings or anything. The cheapest nashbar to the stupid-expensive kinetic or cycleops feel about the same stability.

I wouldn't spend a lot on a trainer, because as someone else mentioned, you aren't ever going to use it if there's any choice. "road feel" is how some of the expensive ones justify their cost... well spinning a roller doesn't feel like riding a road. period. I'd just get a minoura or performance magnetic resistance trainer and call it good. maybe if you end up using it more than 5 times a year... but you probably won't.

My Brain Hurts!
    When presented with a choice, the trainer always loses! I will always prefer to ride vs ride on a trainer. But I do use my trainer a lot!

But an hour on a trainer is soooooo boring!
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

rock crusher
    Aug 2008
    Kurt Kinetic gets my vote. The Kurt frame is stiffer than the CycleOps frame, less noodley. The fluid units on the Kurt and CycleOps feel about the same to me. Stay away from wind trainers too. They get crazy loud if you are pushing hard, but are always loud when you are pushing even a light pace. I have only used fluids and wind, so I cannot comment on the magnetic trainers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    meh.
    meh yourself .

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    meh. Any trainer will do fine. Clyde-ness doesn't put much additional demands on it, since there isn't any load on the bearings or anything. The cheapest nashbar to the stupid-expensive kinetic or cycleops feel about the same stability.

I wouldn't spend a lot on a trainer, because as someone else mentioned, you aren't ever going to use it if there's any choice. "road feel" is how some of the expensive ones justify their cost... well spinning a roller doesn't feel like riding a road. period. I'd just get a minoura or performance magnetic resistance trainer and call it good. maybe if you end up using it more than 5 times a year... but you probably won't.
    I disagree. I have "the cheapest nashbar" trainer, some Ascent-brand thing, and it does not provide sufficient resistance, even at the highest of its three settings. If I were only 150 pounds, instead of 202, the resistance might be adequate.

The stability is fine, though.
    Last edited by ventura; 10-28-2012 at 09:49 PM. Reason: added weight info

mtbr member
    +1 Kurt Kinetic trainer. 2 year and mine is still rock solid.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

+1 My wife picked one of these up and it's rock solid!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I can't believe you MTBers don't just bundle up and go ride outside!!!!!! HEck, I take my road bike out in sub 30 degree temps!!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cpfitness View Post
    I can't believe you MTBers don't just bundle up and go ride outside!!!!!! HEck, I take my road bike out in sub 30 degree temps!!!!
    When we bought our trainer (an indoor recumbent bike), cold weather was the least of our problems. It was the 45-75 mph winds and sandstorms that got us...

My Brain Hurts!
    Quote Originally Posted by cpfitness View Post
    Last year we rode all winter long. But here, trails are at least 30 minutes away so riding is a little more complicated than hopping on the bike and taking off. I do commute until there is either way too much snow or they start flinging salt all over the place...

So, trainer time is this time of the year on into early spring...

mtbr member
    I bought a set of rollers instead of a stationary trainer. I live in an area that pretty much makes most winter riding impossible so I needed something to keep sane. 20 minutes on it does seem like an eternity, but it is a good workout and you get a good spin in. It's also fun to watch your family and friends attempt to ride it. That is the main bonus to the rollers

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

+1

I have a performance mag trainer and 245# and it is as solid as you need.

SHF
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012

+1, love it....though it'll likely be getting dusty as we got some fat bikes to use this winter.

I didn't do it
    I'm recovering from an injury and can't get outside on the bike for awhile and so I'm thinking about getting a trainer. I was just wondering how much noise does a typical trainer make? I ask so that I don't bother others in the house who might be sleeping while I use it.

NotoriousMHz
    It would really depend on the type of trainer and the tire you're using with it. I'm using a Tacx Trainer Tire on my Kinetic Road Machine and it's not loud at all. No problems hearing the TV while I'm using it. Our treadmill is a lot louder in comparison.
    Adam Christopher
    ♦ 2015 Santa Cruz Nomad C
    ♦ 2012 Specialized Epic Expert
    ♦ 2012 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert

I didn't do it
    Thanks Mhz, that's a good start. I'm really happy about the noise because I think I would drive some of the others in the house crazy if it was excessively loud. I didn't know about the tire either so that input is also useful.

SHF
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I think in general, the fluid resistance ones are less noisy than the ones with fans, but as mentioned the tire matters, I swapped a knobby for a more roadlike tire just to use in the trainer and it is really pretty reasonable now. I have a kinetic and love it.