Thread: Clyde Worthy?

mtbr member

Clyde Worthy?

As my frame gets closer to being done here are my thoughts for the final build. I am about 280lbs and am getting a custom steel frame Doug at Curtlo Cycles.

Fork White Brothers Magic 110 mm 20 mm axle
    XT derailleurs, chain, cassette and shifters
    Hope Tech M4 Brakes 8" Rotor
    White Industries M16 rear hub 36
    White Industries front hub 20 mm thru axle
    DT Alpine spokes
    Salsa Gordo rims 36
    WTB Laser V saddle
    WTB Weirwolf 29x2.55 tires
    Race Face Deus XC riser bar 31.8
    Thomson X4 stem 31.8
    Thomson 31.6mm seatpost
    HSC long cranks w/Race Face chainrings 215mm
    Phil Woods BB
    Chris King headset
    Oury grips

Any opinions would be appreciated
    Live Large

mtbr member
    Dude, that's going to be a sick ride! Tell us more about your custom frame.

I don't see anything wrong with your parts. I would just make sure you have a good wheel builder take a look at the wheels after you put a few miles on them. I'm about your size and it's amazing what kind of punishment these bikes can take. I've broken parts here and there but I think at our size there's nothing you can do about it.
    What kind of riding do you do? I recently upgraded a set of DT470 rims to Salsa Semi's after pancaking the front tire and have been happy with them. They're a bit lighter than the Gordos but then again at our weight will a few saved gramms really make a difference?!?

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

mtbr member
    That looks awesome! I'm really interested in the custom frame as well! Also, if you don't mind me asking, what do you think you'll have as far as $$ in the build?

I'm really excited to see the outcome!

Underskilled
    Is that the tandem version of the magic?

I was tempted by that but went F150 instead.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    HSC long cranks w/Race Face chainrings 215mm

Are you 9 feet tall? Really, really long cranks......

29 some of the time...
    Build looks good. I would run a beefier and wider handlebar, but that is personal preference. I like the Easton bars, wide/light/bomb proof.

I would comment on the cranks, but Yogii beat me to the punch. I have run 185mm and those felt long. I can't imagine 215mm. But some folks like their long cranks. For me I have acclimated to 175mm cranks to keep onboard with mass production cranks from shimano.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

mtbr member

thanks for the input

I would first like to thank you for all your input and answer some questions. First I am 6'10" which is the reason for the long crank arms (almost 9 ft ) and the custom frame. The Build is through Curtlo Cycles. He has a website and I recommend checking it out. His prices are awesome and they are very well built frames. The low prices are a reflection of his life style. He is not in it for money and has pretty much everything paid for in his life. I went to his shop and I will say its in the middle of no where. He has also built many bikes for heavy riders and even a guy 7'3". I have debated the bars and might still swap them out. The fork is a Magic 110mm 20mm axles which is a single crown. I have talked with White Brothers and it was the fork they recommended for my size but with a heavier duty crown they could put on for an extra $35. The price of the first quote from Doug with a Fluid 135 shock, White Industries BB, and Avid Code 5 brakes was around $3400 after the changes I expect it to be a little more since the Magic is Cheaper then the Fluid but the Hope brakes are more then the Avids. I ride pretty much XC but do get aggressive from time to time.
    Live Large

mtbr member
    Bigtime, at your size and weight you're bringing an awful lot of torque to the game.
    I'd love to hear how your equipment holds up to your pounding.
    I'd also like to ride behind you on the trail so you can clear out the low branches and spider webs!
    Usually I'm the one clearing out the low hanging branches with my noggen and I'm a measly 6'6".