meatheadboy
    Aug 2006

Clyde thoughts on a Scandium frame?

Hi all,

I toasted my hardtail last week when the fork failed going on a downhill and am shopping for a new bike. I found a screaming deal on an '07 Kona King but I'm a little nervous about a lightweight scandium frame. The bike is at a reputable dealer and I assume carries a full warranty, it's brand new.

I'm 6'0" and 255#'s, i ride mostly cx, no big drops or hucking. Should I be worried about this or just hurry up and put it on layaway?

They've got 1 19" left(at least last week they did).

Thoughts?

Thanks,

John

Former Bike Wrench
    Are you a gentle giant or king kong?

What I mean is...are you someone who constantly breaks parts or someone who rarely brakes parts. I know 150lbs riders who break everything, while I am 225lbs, ride agressive trail/AM, and yet rarely throw a rim (XC rim at that) out of true.

If your easy on equipment then your probably ok on the Kona, but if you know you brake parts and frames...look elsewhere.

The plough
    Well scandium makes aluminium stronger, however bike frame manufacturers use that fact to make the frame from thinner tubing and still maintain the target strength while achieving a lower weight. Thus, it all depends on the intended purpose of the frame.

V.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

My Thought

Scandium = No

meatheadboy
    Aug 2006
    I'm not too hard on equipment, i was busting spokes on my rear wheel for a while but then I bought a better quality rear wheel and haven't had the problem since.

My driving is all cx trails and for the amount of miles i put in and the quailty of bike i had, I don't think I'm all that rough on stuff.

dh1
    mtbr member
    If it has a warranty, and the dealer doesn't have any concerns, I would be happy to try it. What is the worst that can happen if you break it? They give you a new one. I am sure that if you make a stink after breaking the scandium frame, they would give you an Alum or Steel to replace it with.

what...?
    I rode a scandium Rocky Mt for 6 years with zero problems. It was built to 25lbs and I go 230 ride weight.

I also ride a scandium road bike for 4 years. Again, no problems.

Great ride, scandium!!
    Without love in a dream it will never come true

thecentralscrutinizer
    Scandium is clyde freindly. You'll be okay with that frame.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

Making fat cool since '71
    As, sort of mentioned, already it is not that it is scandium or not that will make the difference for you. It *is* that "race" and/or light xc frames are *not* built for clyde riding. Scandium frames can be excellent choices for clydes, so can steel, al, carbon, etc. "Race" or light frames (regardless of material) are not good clyde choices.

It's not the material, it's the execution of the material in this instance. Kona makes good frames. They make some burly frames which are great clyde options. This isn't one.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    What about a light weight bike for racing only? I run 6', 235lbs. I would love to get a Kona Hei Hei for racing only, no daily riding or training.

Don't skid
    I work at a kona shop, I ride konas, and i am a clyde. The king is a XC race bike, so it was designed for an XC racer. Most XC racers are not clydes, so it was not designed with clydes in mind.

Does that mean it won't work for you? Not necessarily, but wouldn't you feel more confident on a frame that weighs maybe 1 pound more but is made for trail riding and more abuse? I know i do. I use a King Kikapu for racing, could have gotten the King but oped for a non-race specific frame because of my weight (260 here).

On a side note, you can squeeze the downtubes of these scandium race frames and actually see the tubing bend (king of like a beer can, then again I can stand on a beer can without it folding), that's how thin the tubes are. Just an observation.

IMO, unless this is a race only bike, go for a slightly burly frame.
    The Revolution will not be motorized...especially at $5 per gallon.

meatheadboy
    Aug 2006
    Thanks Kona! i'm thinking about passing on it, they still have it but like a couple of people have said. it's a racing frame, i was kinda hoping though. $3000 bike for $1,700 had me wanting to jump all over it. I'm actually leaning towards an 08 Rocky Mtn. Element 50 now, it's going to be a couple of months but I demo'd the bike and loved it a couple of months ago.

Won't be doing any riding for a couple of months anyhow with the busted clavicle i have. x-rays today show it's not healing quite as quickly as i'd like. one of the breaks is healing nice, the other one is still a pretty big gap between the bones.

thanks for all the comments though.