mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Clyde shorts on the cheap

Hi guys, I'm getting back into MTB again, and I'm looking to get a pair of baggy shorts. I'd prefer to try them on first, but it seems like most of the LBS are charging $75+ for baggy cycling shorts. Are there some other options I can check out in the $30-40 range? I live in Calgary, but I'm travelling to Vegas soon, so any options would be welcome. I'll also be passing through Great Falls, Mt as well.

For the time being, I have a pair of spandex cycling shorts that I wear under some regular shorts, but I'd prefer to minimize the layers before it gets hot out here.

If it matters, I'm looking at a 40-42" waist, depending on the style.

Thanks,
    Argentis

Former Bike Wrench
    $30-$40 shorts usually have cheap pads in them, unless you can find a more expensive pair on sale. If you can spend a little more, check out the shorts from Aerotech Designs. They have excellent shorts starting at $50 in a full size range.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Aerotech is well made, but I think the styling stinks. Columbia has some nice XXX hiking shorts for 35.00, but you will need to use spandex. It's really the same thing. 2 layers. Regular shorts are not quite as durable as MTB shorts.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks guys. Anyone know of any clearance/outlet shops in Vegas? The wife's doing some shopping, and maybe I can score a deal there.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by rjedoaks View Post
    Aerotech is well made, but I think the styling stinks. Columbia has some nice XXX hiking shorts for 35.00, but you will need to use spandex. It's really the same thing. 2 layers. Regular shorts are not quite as durable as MTB shorts.
    Just make sure it has a gusseted crotch, otherwise it is not the same as baggy cycling shorts. A bulky seam up the middle of your crotch is not comfortable even with a pad underneath.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Argentis View Post
    Thanks guys. Anyone know of any clearance/outlet shops in Vegas? The wife's doing some shopping, and maybe I can score a deal there.
    There are lots of "Outlet" stores in Vegas (I'm a UNLV grad, so I lived there) but it's mostly filled with fashion stuff. Nike and Adidas has stores but not the best options for cycling stuff.

There are some good bike shops in town (not near The Strip) but again, unless you find a sale you probably will be paying $70+ for a good pair of shorts.