Thread: Clyde Saddle?

'aua e te fati
    Jul 2006

Clyde Saddle?

I am essentially a clyde at 6'1" and approximately 210lbs. I was riding a WTB pure V for about a year with no problems and then all of the sudden it happened--I went numb. No good. I have since ditched that saddle for a spare I have, but that too is not cutting the mustard. I ride with PI Ultrasensors and usually I am pretty comfortable, but lately it hasn't been great. After about 2-3 hours it is inevitable.

I need a new saddle! I have been thinking about the Serfas Performance RX. Has anyone ridden that? If not does anyone have any recommendations?

President, CEO of Earth
    I have always been very fussy about saddles - I have my favourites and I tend to think nothing esle will work. Sadly none of my favourite saddles are still being made so I have to be ready to patch the leather or straighten the rails when necessary.

The problem is that what works for one rider will not necessarily work for the other. It deoends on riding position, how well your bottom is 'broken in,' bum shape, personal preferences. If you have a twin brother who rides the same bike setup the same amount as you then you could trust his advice. Otherwise trial and error is the solution.

I don't know if there are any shops that will do it where you are, but see if they will let you exchange it if you don't like it after a ride or two. We used to do this at a shop where I worked and it allowed people to try new things and also gave the shop staff feedback on what different people would like.

If you do have a shop nearby that will try that then just remember to keep the saddle in 'new' condition (don't rub it against a brick wall or the pavement) and bring it back nice and clean.
    "Newfoundland dogs are good to save children from drowning, but you must have a pond of water handy" - Josh Billings

Double-metric mtb man
    Hmmm....I wouldn't expect a wtb to "die" that quickly. I'm a bigger guy myself (6' 235lb) and have been riding a Laser V for quite some time. The only time I have issues with it is when I do a Century as my butt isn't used to that long of a time in the saddle.

As Toby said, saddles are really a personal thing. Check the LBS for "loaners" and see if you can find one that works for you....just be sure to keep the saddle in good shape for return to the shop.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

I'm living the dream!
    I'm 6'0 and 205 and I've had a Laser V for almost three years on as many bikes. I too am surprised yours gave up the ghost so quick. Maybe give the Laser a try, I believe it's a bit wider than the pure V giving you possibly a bit more comfort. Like Toby said though, there's a lot of factors that go into a good fitting sadle. Good luck!

Captain Underpants
    I had a Speed V for about a year and then noticed the dreaded numbing sensation started to kick in after about an hour in the saddle. I have since switched to a Speccy Alias and could not be happier, though the sadddle took about 5 rides before it felt right.

'aua e te fati
    Jul 2006
    Thanks to all. I will probably end up trying/buying a few at REI. Their return policy is iron clad and extends to anything that "doesn't meet your highest expectations". I don't abuse it, but if I hate something I buy, I return it for full pop. I'll let you know what I get.

mtbr member
    Specialized Phenom Gel. I am 230lbs w/o gear and I can ride without padded shorts on this saddle. The only problem I had was the combo of gel shorts with this saddle; it doesn't work. I went numb on two different rides with those shorts on this saddle.

As for killing the saddle, I had a Rival that came with my Stumpjumper FSR and it lasted about 5 months before going flat. When I saw pics on the Phenom I knew I wanted it, but when I saw it in the shop I felt like I needed it. A couple of people on the Specialized forum thought about the Phenom or Phenom SL, but are reconsidering the Gel because of how much more comfortable it is.
    1997 Specialized Stumpy Pro
    1998 Specialized Allez Epic
    2007 Specialized Stumpy FSR Elite
    2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

mtbr member
    KOOBI au enduro, for the last 6 month or more and so far so good.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    specialized dealers have a buttometer that you sit on and it measures your sit bone width.
    they also sell quite a few saddle in multiple widths. I weigh 220 and my favorite is the WTB pureV . It is pretty wide but Ive got a wide stance
    you might also play around with seat position and angle. set your forward / rearward setting so that when the pedal is at the 3 oclock position your knee is over the pedal axle, set the angle level with the ground and the height is where your knee is slightly bent @ 6 oclock
    sometimes a slight adjustment is all it takes

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Since you liked the Pure V, try a WTB saddle with a wider nose. I've run the Laser V on my road bike for years (wider nose, a bit shorter overall than the Pure) and a Power V on my mountain bikes for the last few years (wider nose and longer). I tried the Pure V a year ago, and was numb on every ride so sold it. WTB used to have a great chart on their web page showing their saddles from narrowest to widest, but no longer ...

mtbr member
    On my old bike i had a Spec Rival that treated me well for a couple of years. it went with the bike. My new ride is a fully rigid karate monkey. I originally bought a wtb pure v for the build, but then tried out a friends koobi au enduro.

Been riding the Au Enduro a few months now and loving it....

Black Sheep rising
    Trico Sports Gel Saddle

Like riding in my La-Z-Boy, without the convenient remote storage. Keeps the undercarriage happy.
    Let the market decide!

N42.58 W83.06