mtbr member

Clyde related questions, fork wheels...

Hey all, just joined the forums. Tried to do some searching and read some current threads on related topics but I guess I am looking for some more info. I purchased a new Trek 4500 disk. The stock fork is not enough, even after putting maybe 500 miles on it last year I can feel play in the fork. I was looking at the 2010 Marzocchi 55 TST2 Air fork. That way I can preload it for my heft ~240lbs... That fork is considered a freeride/all mountain fork. I figured it would work for my XC trailriding. That fork also uses the 20mm through front axle. Which is good since I notice a couple times last year when I'd go around a corner I could hear my disc brake rub just because of the wheel bending. So new wheel it is. Pricepoint has a set of Easton Havoc wheels on sale for 350ish.. Only problem is they only have 24 spokes? Once again they are considered freeride rims. What do you guys think? Is there something else I should look at?

Thanks all, I hope to post more, looks like a great forum here and lots of support for the Clydesdales!

mtbr member
    I'd like to thank everyone for there response...

Anyway. I'll answer my own questions.... I put just the easton wheels on with the stock 165 rotors. Even with the 9mm QR installed the easton wheels where much more stiff than the 32 spoke stockers. I then installed the Marzocchi 55 TST AIR fork with it's 20mm QR and and now there is no more deflection of the rotor into the pads when cornering. Bike feels much more stiff and solid. Now just waiting for the trails to dry out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I'm not sure about the fork, but as to the wheel setup, my LBS suggested 36h for me. I am 6'2" and 350 and falling.

Jon

Former Bike Wrench
    A Trek 4500 Disc is designed around a 100mm fork, the 55 is WAY too much travel for that bike. The bike will ride like a chopper and will likely lead to a headtube failure due to the increased leverage.

You should stick to a 100mm fork

local jackass
    Look into a rock shox recon with a 20mm axle I love mine and I regurally abuse it with no issues at all after more than a year of riding. I have a set of mavic Dee Tracks and have had not one single issue with some serious drops and crashes havent even needed to be trued since I bought them over a year ago!

Edit: Im 285 and also the recon is a 120mm but going from 100 to 120 isnt a big deal I did it on my P1 and even called specialzed before and was told it was perfectly ok to do so.

Mavics and fork on my HT they have since been moved over to my FS bike but still take a beating!
    Last edited by biggoofy1; 03-23-2011 at 06:45 PM.
    His
    2010 FSR XC
    2010 ALLEZ
    Hers
    2012 Myka 29'r
    2009 Cannondale Synapse 5
    Down East Cyclists

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    A Trek 4500 Disc is designed around a 100mm fork, the 55 is WAY too much travel for that bike. The bike will ride like a chopper and will likely lead to a headtube failure due to the increased leverage.

You should stick to a 100mm fork

I wish you had mentioned that about 4 days ago. Thanks for the input anyway. I plan on making some spacers to bring the front down to 120. Right now the top tube is really high now. which is the biggest problem.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoobyvroom
    I wish you had mentioned that about 4 days ago. Thanks for the input anyway. I plan on making some spacers to bring the front down to 120. Right now the top tube is really high now. which is the biggest problem.
    Well, you have already popped for the fork, I think I would look into one of these:

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FROO456/on-one-456-frame

I wish I would have seen your original post. I would have steered you to the 44 TST2 as it can be set to 140mm, 120mm or 100mm travel.

Even at 120mm, there will be some compromise in handling on your Trek 4500.

Back in the saddle
    Don't worry too much about the chopper effect, just be careful. I've been riding a big fork (150mm) on a bike intended for 100mm for 6 years and have had no trouble. I'm 275 and love jumps & drops. Rode that fork for a day at Trestle, a downhill park at Winter Park ski area last summer. All day hitting table tops and big drops and it the fork begged for more. No problem with the frame. Old, heavy aluminum frame.

Wheels, if you want to go cheap, I run the Rhyno Lites. I have never had to replace them, and only have to do a spoke maybe once a year. Tough, but heavy. Not even close to top of the line, but they work great, and I pound 'em. Adventure race, cyclocross, Xterra, downhill parks, all-mountain, rocks, boulders, 4' drops, you name it. The rig has held up.

My 2 cents.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info guys. Just got back into MTBing last year after a long hiatus. Stuff has really changed. I totally forgot about how getting a long travel fork would mess with steering geometry. Oh well, live and learn. I did ride it around for a bit and the turning radius now seems super huge. It seemed it needed a bit more trail anyway. Crashed once last year really good when the front end compressed and tucked in a tight corner. The Marzocchi has an extra bit off offset compared to the 100mm travel forks. When I get the spacers in I'll post up some before and after pics.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Hey BigGoofy,
    What pressure do you have in your Recons?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    2 X 20mm spacers and vvwala..... 120mm... with me on it, the bike sits at about 100... and the boys don't touch the top tube.

mtbr member
    How are the wheels holding up so far?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bvibert
    How are the wheels holding up so far?
    Haven't had the chance to trail ride with them yet, still have snow on the ground here in MN.

WI. Big Boy MTBer
    Sun Rhyno lites !!
    TREK X CALIBER 6, MOTOBECANE USA MIRAGE SLX