-Lee
    Apr 2009

CLyde Rear Shock

I am looking at building a bike from frame up I am starting with an Azonic Avenger frame and I am looking for a good 6" rear shock that can stand up to a 250lb beating. I dirt jump, trail ride, even hit up the street stuff everyone in a while so I need something that can take a beating. Your suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks guys!

I'm SUCH a square....
    I come in at about 225-230, and my XLT has been a new bike ever since I put the Manitou Metel R on it, bought at Chain Reaction Cycles. the 650 spring may be a bit bit stout, even for your slightly higher weight, so I suggest the 600. All told, when I get the 550 I'm looking at, I'll have less than $125 in the upgrade from the crap Swinger 3.
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

Making fat cool since '71
    Ones I've used and been happy or satisfied with: Avalanche Chubby, Fox DHX 5 (coil; custom tuned) and Cane Creek Double Barrel, Fox RP 23.

Ones I've been dissatisfied with or hated: Fox DHX Air, 5th Element (coil), RockShox Pearl.

FWIW, I'm 260-ish; ride mostly aggressive trail or freeride (whatever the hell those two things mean!).

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

29 some of the time...
    As a clyde there are a couple of things I look for in suspension:
    1. Is it strong enough for my weight and aggressive riding style?
    2. Is it tunable for my weight and the bike it is going onto?
    3. If it breaks are parts readily available?

Out of the current shocks on the market I would probably lean towards a dhx5.0. It is a highly tunable shock via the external adjustments and if that isn't enough several companies can tune it specifically for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I weigh about 285lbs and sent Fox an email asking about the weight limit of the RP23, here was their response:

You will want to focus on bicycles that have a low leverage ratio as that increases the weight range our rear shocks can accommodate.

If you purchase a bike with a medium leverage ratio you may still be ok as the shock can be inflated up to 300psi which is probably where you’d end up with this type of bike.
    For the coilover fox shocks, I imagine you can always change the weight limit of the spring, much like you can for your vehicle.