mtbr member

Clyde rated cassette

So I'm on my third cassette of the season. 6'3" 210 lbs. I don't shift under power if I can help it. This year has been one SRAM pg 250 and one pg 280. Using a shimano now. Any suggestions. What are other Clydes using? I do a lot of technical climbing.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

Kick Start My Heart
    How are they failing? I am 245, and all my stuff is SRAM with no issues. Freehubs, once in a while, cassette never.
    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    End up jumping gears, Phantom shifting, chain climbing up the cassette when back peddling. Change the cassette and problems go away for a few months.

mtbr member
    First off you need to check the adjustment of your rear derailluer as well as your derailleur hanger. Cassettes do not cause ghost shifting. And when you do replace a cassette you should be replacing the chain as well. Putting a worn chain on a new cassette will cause skipping and will wear the cassette out much quicker.

PG950 cassettes are used frequently on Tandem bikes, they are plenty strong for a Clyde. But it sounds like derailleur adjustments are more of your problem.
    Origin 8 Scout 29
    Rodriquez Adventure

Blog

Talk to me, Goose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Whisperer View Post
    First off you need to check the adjustment of your rear derailluer as well as your derailleur hanger. Cassettes do not cause ghost shifting. And when you do replace a cassette you should be replacing the chain as well. Putting a worn chain on a new cassette will cause skipping and will wear the cassette out much quicker.

PG950 cassettes are used frequently on Tandem bikes, they are plenty strong for a Clyde. But it sounds like derailleur adjustments are more of your problem.
    Agreed.. sounds like a derailleur issue. I'm 300+ lbs and have only replaced my cassette once in the last 1000 miles of aggressive riding. You can get a pretty awesome KMC chain for 10 bucks or so.. so most definitely change that with your cassette.
    We can't stop here, this is bat country..

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    I'm having similar issues: after 900 miles since june 1, I'm on my 3rd chain & 2nd cassette on a specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 29er. I'm 265#. first chain broke within 250 miles.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    not sure but maybe your frame could be flexing in the bottom bracket area and causing your chainline to deflect and grind the cassette?
    Remember i'm just guessing.I do know heavier riders can cause the bb area to flex...and that is connected to the chain and cassette.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I'd also recomend getting a chain length tool. Check your chain periodically and replace when its past the wear gauge on the tool. I'm over 300 lbs and go through about two chains a year. Cassette (SRAM 990) and crank have been on for 3 years now.

Park Tool CC-3.2 Chain Wear Indicator - Bike Chain Tools

mtbr member
    Chains have been checked and replaced as required. Derailleur adjustment is fine. Chain line looks good (any way to check this other than by eye?) hanger is straight. Funny thing is with a new cassette everything is perfect. Put the old one back on and problems again. I will check for bottom bracket flex. Any suggestions on the best way to do this? Would be nice to have a cassette last for more than 3 months especially with all the maintenance I do.... Maybe the chains are the problem? All have been Sram pg 970's. 1st one broke, second was replaced @ 50% wear when I changed to the 980 cassette third I wore out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I have a hard time believing that bottom bracket/rearend flex will cause your cassette to wear out. On a geared bike, chain line shouldn't be an issue either.

Have you inspected the old cassette really close? Any slightly bent cogs that cause the chain to jump up or down (bad shifts can tweak the cogs)? Maybe the nut that holds the cassette on is coming loose and it gets tightened every time you replace it?

mtbr member
    I have looked at both worn out cassettes. Some of the teeth are slightly deformed where a slipping chain has caught under load. Hope that's clear. Nothing seems twisted or out of alignment. Thanks for all the suggestions. Would really like to get it sorted out.