Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Clyde Rant

ROBOTIC RESERVE

Cool-blue Rhythm Clyde Rant

Hello,

Im 6'3" and 220lbs and I ride almost every week; but when look down at the scale itís depressing. Maybe itís just me, but I feel like itís almost imposable to get less than 200lbs. I eat decent meals and have been cutting out soda and junk food at home. That took me from 242lbs down to my current weight of 220lbs! BUTÖ

Working in an office environment has to be the absolute worst thing for me. Seems like itís always somebodyís birthday or some dumb pot luck, I donít want to come across as anti-social and I still eat some of the cake and other crap thatís within a 10foot radius.

I really want to get out of this Clyde-class (No offense) but itís really getting under my skin. I love this sport, but I feel like an outcast for some dumb reason.

One thing I noticedÖ.I work about 45-50 hrs a week with a 45min commute each way. When I get home I just want to plop down and rest. How do you find the energy to work out after work? I'm sure this is the missing link.

Thanks
    CS
    Captain's Rides
    2008 Turner 5.Spot Raw - Pushed RP23 / Pike 454 U-Turn
    2008 Turner Highline GDO - CCDB / Fox 40

mtbr member
    I work more like 40 hours/week and my commute is only 25 minutes each way, so I'm sure that is a factor. I know what you mean though, about not wanting to do anything when you get home. Before I started riding with other people regularly I found that if I brought my bike with me to work and then stopped by the local riding spot on the way home I got out and exercised a lot more often. That way I didn't have the chance to go home and get settled for the night until I was done riding. Now I ride a lot with other people, so even if I go home the knowledge that they're waiting for me to ride is motivation to get out and exercise. Of course I love riding too, so that helps tremendously.

Riding is about the only exercise that I get, when I'm home there's not much chance of me doing much of anything exercise related.

I'm around 280, and while I definitely want to drop some pounds again (I was almost to 230 a couple of years ago), I've never felt like an outcast while mountain biking. Most people are surprised that a big guy like me can ride a bike as well as I can.

turtles make me hot
    It's certainly harder to get a ride in when the days are short, but now... As soon as I get off the train tonight, I'm squeezin' in a two hour ride on my favorite trail.

On days I can't make this happen, I ride in the flat, boring State Park near my house. At least it's woods. I can make about a 5 mile ride. Better than nothing. Cut back on all food 25%.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Your office sounds just like mine. Someone's always bringing donuts, cookies, breakfast tacos, whatever sounds good...and it's really freakin' hard not to have some. What I found helps is to bring my own snacks, so I can still socialize, but instead of stuffing an apple fritter into my mouth, it's just an apple. Also, if it's a potluck, or just your turn to provide snacks, bring something like a fruit dish, or a salad, or veggies or something. It'll still get eaten. You're doing well at home with cutting out the junk food, so just take that into your work environment.
    Maybe during your lunch break, you can go out for a walk or even a ride. I use my lunch to go workout with a trainer 3 times a week and the other 2 days, I usually bring my bike and ride around the neighborhood because I don't like to exercise when I get home, either. FWIW, your body will also plateu after a while of losing weight, so you have to start cutting more stuff out to kickstart it again. I know how frustrating it is, but just hang in there. You can do it.
    2008 Specialized Safire Comp

ROBOTIC RESERVE
    I really like the idea of riding after work, burn some fat and unload some stress!
    Captain's Rides

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Snakebite
    I really like the idea of riding after work, burn some fat and unload some stress!
    It's perfect for that. You won't even remember work after a few minutes!

Clydeosaur
    It's alright I'm looking forward to the day when I can complain about being 220.

It's hard for sure, and I know with my job that higher periods of stress decrease my desire to ride even though those are the times I need to ride. The past couple of weeks have particularly sucked.

Then hit this week with motivation and desire, but every morning and afternoon we've had torrential downpours and thunderstorms. We have a gym at the office (and I belong to an overpriced gym that I don't go to) so I brought clothes to workout on the stationary bikes. Hopefully I can break away for it. Or hopefully the weather clears up so I can ride.

MTB B'dos
    Hey Captain, I'm no clyde, not by a long stretch, but just wanted to offer this up.......remember that now you're exercising you're burning fat and gaining muscle and muscle weighs more than fat. 6'3" and 220lbs isn't that big, specialy if it's all muscle and you are like my friend and have tree trunk legs. I can dig you want to weigh less, but if it were me I'd go by how I looked and what size pants I was wearing.

As to not wanting to be anti-social, screw that tell the people at work you're on a strict diet and no offense, take healthy snacks to work and eat those instead.

As to the energy thing, if it's hard for you to "feel it" after work, consider extending your morning commute or making it more intense. This way you have the energy to put in a good work out, your digestive system wil be going full bore throughout the day and you might not feel as active and for a sit down desk job that isn't that bad.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I too recommend taking the bike to work and the riding before you get home. I just throw everything in the car the night before and then the next day just change right at the trailhead using a towel for cover. This will work great if your local trail is between work and home or real close to one or the other. For me, once I am home it is very hard for me to leave again to go ride, one reason is motiviation seems to be lost and two is that I usually get involved with kids homework, project, or just playing.

I also recommend trying to get yourself on a 6 meals a day which seems to be really working for me. I was plateaued at 240lbs and couldn't break 240, I started eating 6 small meals a day and started losing again, I am now at 220. Big thing for me is that I have lost significant inches around my waist with that 20 lbs. There are major scientific reasons for eating 6 meals which you can look up and find all over the internet (basically keeps your blood sugar more stable), however, what I think is the benefit for me is that 1) it forces me to plan my meals and snacks the night before and 2) I am not hungary, it actually feels like I am eating more now than I did before. So when they say there is cake in the breakroom, you say thanks but I just had a snack and am not hungry.
    My schedule: (M-meal, S-snack)
    5am workout (when possible)
    M1 - 7:30am at work
    S1- 10:30am at work
    M2 - 12:30 at work
    S2 - 3:30 at work
    M3 - 5:30 at home
    S3 - 7:30 at home
    Bed - 10:00
    On the days I ride afterwork I usually eat an additional cliff or protein bar before and after the ride. and I usually don't have a S3 because I get home and eat M3 too late.

On planning - Again, there is a bunch of articles and info on-line about how many calories per day, per meal, ratio, etc..... and I recommend reading them all. What I try to do is simplify and plan 400 calories per meal and S1 and S2 and about 100-200 calories for S3, and for each meal/snack to have both carbs and protein. I also use fitday.com to help track my caloric intake, but I don't sweat it if I forget to enter something, or can't get to the computer, etc....I pack up everything into two small coolers the night before and grab them on my way out the door. At first it was hard for me not to just eat everything at once (basically eat all my food before noon), but with the little will power that I have I was able to get on the schedule and now I love it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Lots of good advice so far...I have lost 23lbs so far and trying to get to my ideal of 235, and I am only 6 foot. I havnt been 220 since high school!!

I have a long commute home that makes me very sleepy. The key is do not sit down when you get home. Get your riding gear out and ride. Even if its around the hood. Dont wait. You will come back refreshed and will wonder why you were tired at all. Stress does funny things to all of us....being tired mentaly and physicaly is one. I too used to nap after work...all it did was make me feel worse.

Good luck.

Tigers love pepper...
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Snakebite
    One thing I noticedÖ.I work about 45-50 hrs a week with a 45min commute each way. When I get home I just want to plop down and rest. How do you find the energy to work out after work? I'm sure this is the missing link.
    You've gotta break this cycle! That was me 35 pounds ago. Got home.... felt "tired".... eat... relax.... eat more..... no exercise. Granted my commute is 5 minutes instead of 45, so I can understand that being a harder thing to overcome.

Once I started getting myself back to the gym, the weight started coming off, and you'll likely find you feel MORE energized after a workout. If you have to go to the gym before going home, do it!

I REALLY didn't feel like going to the gym last night.... but I did. Ended up running for 30 minutes at 6.2mph, the did almost 6 miles on the stationary bike. Felt way better when I left the gym than when I got there.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Its all about Diet. Seriously, count your calories. If you can keep your calories to your allowed per day you will lose weight. I didn;t believe it. THen I started to do it because I was in the same situation as you are. Seriously, the moment I started counting the pounds started melting away. I have lost 24 pounds in 2.5 months. 256 at start now 232

ROBOTIC RESERVE
    Wow, thanks guys for all the good information so far, This is just what i was looking for!!!!

I will have to come up with a plan and stick to it.

I feel like i have my very own support group with this forum!
    Captain's Rides

mtbr member
    May 2007
    You're allowed to plop down after work, but set a time limit.

I used to commute anywhere from 45 to 75 minutes each way. That was the worst thing that could've happened to my fitness for the exact same reason as yours. Even now with my ~3 minute commute I have trouble. Gotta force yourself to get up and go at the same time each night. A week of struggle will lead to a life time of habit.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    This may sound like heresy but try getting a road/commuting bike and biking to/from work, at least part of the way. You can drive most of the way in and park and ride the rest. For me bike commuting is the primary way that I get to enjoy cycling and it gives me something to look forward to and relieves the stress.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeNeverwinter
    Its all about Diet. Seriously, count your calories. If you can keep your calories to your allowed per day you will lose weight. I didn;t believe it. THen I started to do it because I was in the same situation as you are. Seriously, the moment I started counting the pounds started melting away. I have lost 24 pounds in 2.5 months. 256 at start now 232
    Bingo! Diet is the key. Not fad diets or miracle pills. Just common sense eating.

I too work a desk job with a 1 hour commute each way. Best advice I could give is to take your snacks/lunch with you every day. Whole grain breads, lean meats, tuna/salmon, veggies/fruits, etc. It takes a while to break the old cycle and get your body adjusted to your new eating habits. But in the long run it will pay off.

I've lost 105 lbs since April 1st 2008. Started at 327 and now at 222 lb. The hardest part of it all was adjusting to a proper diet. I've been using a calorie tracking website called The Daily Plate over at Livestrong.com. I track each meal, snack and drink every day. I also track my exercise activities there as well. It has been a good way to keep me focused on my goal which is to get below 200 lbs by the end of this year.

I'll take you there.
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jsk0703
    Bingo! Diet is the key. Not fad diets or miracle pills. Just common sense eating.

I too work a desk job with a 1 hour commute each way. Best advice I could give is to take your snacks/lunch with you every day. Whole grain breads, lean meats, tuna/salmon, veggies/fruits, etc. It takes a while to break the old cycle and get your body adjusted to your new eating habits. But in the long run it will pay off.

I've lost 105 lbs since April 1st 2008. Started at 327 and now at 222 lb. The hardest part of it all was adjusting to a proper diet. I've been using a calorie tracking website called The Daily Plate over at Livestrong.com. I track each meal, snack and drink every day. I also track my exercise activities there as well. It has been a good way to keep me focused on my goal which is to get below 200 lbs by the end of this year.
    you are my hero! ... I'm same... hovering around 315.. hoping to get into low 200s.

I tried sticking with a diet, but I'm having a DEATH of a time with trying to eat breakfast after not eating any since the middle of HS.. and I'm 26 now, so thats more than 9 years for me, of skipping breakfast. I eat medium lunches, and hearty dinners... this didnt use to be a problem when I fought at my university for 4 of those years, but I left fighting, and didnt drop my eating habits fast enough, so gained a lot, but then couldn't drop it after my diet straightened out.

mtbr member
    You can definitely do it, you just have to ride more and be a bit anti social with those lunch gatherings. FWIW I'm 6'3 and I'm right at 200, after pulling off 194 last summer. If trails are far away from home, get a road bike to ride after work (or before). If trails are close to work or home, ride the mtb after work, either from your house or by bringing the bike to work with you (I do this sometimes).

For the office, I just bring my own lunch when there's a potluck or pizza lunch. If anyone complains I just tell them I'd rather eat a sandwich than pizza. Tell them you're riding after work and what you eat makes a HUGE difference in how well you ride and how you feel. If they don't get it, no big deal for anyone.
    :wq

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by The Red
    you are my hero! ... I'm same... hovering around 315.. hoping to get into low 200s.

I tried sticking with a diet, but I'm having a DEATH of a time with trying to eat breakfast after not eating any since the middle of HS.. and I'm 26 now, so thats more than 9 years for me, of skipping breakfast. I eat medium lunches, and hearty dinners... this didnt use to be a problem when I fought at my university for 4 of those years, but I left fighting, and didnt drop my eating habits fast enough, so gained a lot, but then couldn't drop it after my diet straightened out.
    Eating breakfast is arguably the most important. I was in the habit of 3-4 mugs of coffee for breakfast then a huge lunch and a huge dinner followed by late night binge snacking. I now try to eat a 400-600 calorie breakfast. Some of my favorites are turkey bacon, yogurt, oatmeal, eggs, spinach, whole grain bread and fruits. I mix and match depending on my appetite that day but I always try to add up the calories to make sure I'm hitting my daily goals. One day at a time ... one meal at a time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I work in a grocery store, so you can imagine the temptation to go nuts with food.

Between the stock on the shelves, the shared food in the break room, and the freebie samples from the buyers... well, there's always something to snack on.

I don't like to count my calories or step on a scale... I like to gauge my fitness by what I can do on a bike. If I can't charge all the way up the first climb on my usual ride, I know I'm messing up somehow.

So, when I'm about to reach for a cookie or a handful of chips, or whatever -- I just think about the last time I blew up on a climb.

It's easy to not eat a cookie if you're ANGRY at it.

shh. don't tell the wife
    Aug 2008
    Something that I found helped was tracking my diet on my iPhone. I use the Livestrong Daily Plate app, which is also a free wed app at /The Daily Plate

I started tracking calories to ensure I was getting enough food (I wasn't) so for me it was more about smoothing out my food intake, but for you it could help ensure you aren't eating too much.
    All you need is love... but Scotch'll do in a pinch.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    +1 for bring snacks, and more importantly, pack a lunch. Try to incorporate whole grains / fiber. They digest slower and help you feel fuller.

No soda, period. Even diet sodas. I found that diet soda was making me more hungry. I don't know if it was the artificial sweetners tricking my pancreas or what, but delete it period.

Drink more water. Lots. I track mine.

Don't worry at all about the social implecations of not eating. Anyone who gets 'upset' with you is merely upset with themselves. Here, most people remark, "I wish I had your dedication!" while chowing down the donut.

Avoid dining out. Especially if you are getting lunches with heavy sauces (think MSG) - it slows you down and makes you hungrier in the long run. I find this more difficult because I do like to lunch with my coworkers, but struggle with eating out. If I go, I try to direct lunch to somewhere I can get a healty option (sushi!)

The rest probably doesn't apply to you as you don't have alot to lose, but personally, over the last couple months, I have completely revamped my eating habits. I've been thru the gamet of diets, suppliments, etc and they just don't work. I find that eating whole (read complete) foods, I am less hungry and while it 'seems' like I'm eating more, I am actually eating less. I have learned to enjoy fruit and always include some kind of fruit or vegetable. I like reading the back of my food containers and seeing one word answers (i.e. Ingredients: Raisins)

I hated keeping track of these things, but I know in the long run I will hate more keeping track of pills to offset the damage I've done. Oh, and while it *may* cost more to eat healthier, it's a lot less the doctor's bills, procedures, etc...

I wear two thongs
    Quote Originally Posted by jsk0703

+1 on The Daily Plate
    It made it possible for me to go from this:

To this down to around 185 in this first pic I'm at 176 now in the 2nd pic but gear/pads adds a little girth to me:

Keep working at it, it feels GREAT to accomplish such a major goal!
    Hiking is just walking where its okay to pee... Sometimes old people go hiking by accident. -Demetri Martin-

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Eric, your picture looks familiar. Did you post over at Men's Health? I swear I've seen your picture before. Regardless that is one heck of a transformation and definately shows what a person is capable of when they commit to something! Congrats on changing your life!

I wear two thongs
    I posted it somewheres in the clyde forum it was like a share your weight loss success stories thread or something. Thanks for the kind words as well!
    Hiking is just walking where its okay to pee... Sometimes old people go hiking by accident. -Demetri Martin-

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast