Thread: Clyde question

Vincit qui patitur

New question here. Clyde question

I am 6'1" and bounce around 220-230.
    In XC racing would I be considered a Clyde?
    I would hate to register for a class with a bunch of 0% BF weight weenies and get my butt kicked or should I enter Clyde class?
    Winning is not an issue. If I finish and have fun that is all that matters.
    I would just rather be competing with the right group.
    Vincit qui patitur
    2012 GT Karakoram 3.0
    2012 Salsa Spearfish 2
    2013 Giant Defy
    2012 Access TCL

mtbr member
    Depends on the governing body that is holding the event but usually the magic number is 200lbs

Is this thing on?
    If it is your first race it doesn't matter. You'll probably get smoked in either Clydesdale or your age class. In Cat 3, the guys at the front are very fast and usually should be Cat 2. Also, there are drawbacks to each class, in the age class you will have the 150lb 0% body fat types and in Clydes there are no age groups so all sorts of people younger and older than you. If I were you I'd sign up for a race in either class and see where you fall out. If you smoke everyone, move up to cat 2. If not look at your time compared to both classes and see where you think you fit. At most races they aren't that hard and fast about which class you are in, especially not in Cat 3.

I started racing semi-seriously this year, I'm 5'10", 225lb and 47 years old. I raced cat 3 in my age class in the local series because there weren't enough guys for a Clyde class, there were barely enough guys for my age class at some races. I raced cat 3 Clydesdales in the Sea Otter because the classes are huge, Clydes had close to 60 riders. I finished in the top 15 in every race. I made the podium a couple times but no wins, the winner was usually 10-15 minutes ahead of me. No one questioned what class I had entered. Next year I'm moving up to cat 2, I'm not sure if I'll race Clydes or my age class. Based on my times from this year I'll be mid pack in my age class, finishing even further behind the winner. In Clydes I'd be at the front but thats not saying much because the most Clydes at any one race this year was five. Some races only had two. So yes it would be great to win or be on the podium most races but kind of silly if I'm not actually racing anyone. In my age class there will be 20-30 guys every race and lots of racing. What I found this year is having a great race with other riders and finishing 7th was more fun than riding the whole race alone and finishing 4th.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I realize this is a road racing reference but Miguel Indurain was known as Big Mig. He was 185!!!! Your absolutely a clyde. Weight is death when it comes to climbing. As someone else said, there are plenty of fit clydes that can probably whoop you. Some clydes are fat bastards, others are just big tall dudes. but weight is weight, you are doing yourself a disservice trying to race against guys significantly below 200lbs