Baton Rouge, LA

Clyde-proof chain??

Is there such a thing? I snapped my SRAM PC-951 today. About a year old. I really don't think the chain was that bad, I am admitedly hard on equipment. While I am in the market for a new chain though I figured I would see what others thought was better out there.

Oh yeah, bonus points for some bling chains baby!

mtbr member
    Stu:

I was foolish to buy an SRAM PC-991 and be in the same situation with you today: a brand new chain literally lasted less than 2 miles!

My old Dura-Ace/XTR 7701 chains have never failed me. They seem so strong as to whittle away at my SRAM PG-990 casette. You can add a Powerlink with no problems too.

Former Bike Wrench
    I snapped my SRAM PC-951 today. About a year old.
    Your not doing too bad on that POS chain...seen many snapped over the years (if you include the PC-59 that preceded it)

I personally like the Shimano CN7701 or HG93 chains with a SRAM Powerlink Gold. Never snapped one yet.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    i just broke my 951 today also! , went the bike shop and they sold me on the 971. now that they are installed (they did the install to) 39 bux later!!! and did some reading and 971 suck...oh well ill use them til they break

-josh

Former Bike Wrench
    Just think of it as a $39 SRAM Powerlink...you'll want to use it when you get your next chain (a Shimano CN 7701 or HG93 hopefully)

mtbr member
    I've had good luck with various levels of Shimano HG chains, I just installed a HG73, but the last one was a HG53. I get a new one at the beginning of every season whether it needs it or not.

Re-friggin'-Lax!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by chomxxo
    Stu:

I was foolish to buy an SRAM PC-991 and be in the same situation with you today: a brand new chain literally lasted less than 2 miles!

My old Dura-Ace/XTR 7701 chains have never failed me. They seem so strong as to whittle away at my SRAM PG-990 casette. You can add a Powerlink with no problems too.

The man speakith the truthith... You can find XTR/Dura Ace chains in the $20 range on ebay. I run mine with the SRAM power link.
    If necessity is the mother of invention, laziness is the deadbeat dad that knocked her up.

Team Sanchez
    Wow Stu! You got a year out of a chain? I"m stoked if I get 6 months out of a chain. I've had the best luck with the Sram PC 971. Cheap and durable. I've tried every shimano under the sun, and I was lucky to get 3 months out of a shimano. I'm pretty hard on chains too. I weigh about 230 all suited up. I usually don't wait for the chain to break to replace it. I just get a new chain and new cassette every April and October. I enjoy year round riding, so my chains see 3-4 days of riding each week.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by El Chingon; 04-06-2009 at 08:42 AM.
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

mtbr member
    I have to agree with the folks that said 7701. I have been running one for about 9 months now, with a no name masterlink, well the masterlink broke but I put on a KMC and I was off again like a shot. I do a lot of climbing and I weigh about 280 with gear and the 7701(with a good link) never fails me. You can pick them up cheap online right now too. I just bought another, in case the day ever comes, I have already gotten more out of this chain than expected.

Baton Rouge, LA
    Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I did well to get a year's usage out of it. Not upset now. Just need to expect to replace them.

29 some of the time...
    Yep, El Chingon speaks the truth. Just get in the habit and breaking them on the trail becomes less likely. Also not ripping them across the entire cassette while standing helps chains last longer. I know a few ham fisted riders who like to do that and they understandably have shorter chain life. At any rate, I replace mine ever 5-6 months. Added bonus is that the chainrings and cassette seem to last longer since the chain isn't all stretched out and grinding on them.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

I broke a brand new Sram 971 6 times on Sunday

It was the second ride on that chain, first ride was an easy ride to check out my new fork. The first time the chain broke was 200 yards into the woods. Every rocky uphill, "CLANG!!!!", Mike falls over, legs flailing about. My friends started to time me, 45 second was my best time. I clipped my chain tool to my Camelback strap. It was getting dark so the last few steep, rocky climbs, I ran/walked up them. I may try to use a dirtbike chain!?!?!

one chain, two sprockets
    Sep 2008
    Just curious, but why do most of you run a masterlink (powerlink) when you're already prone to breaking chains? I'm a 230lb chain-stretcher, and haven't run a masterlink since they let me down in my early BMX days!

Tom P.

29 some of the time...
    That's an odd one natdad One question that begs asking, was it the same link that was giving out? If not, it would be a manufacturing defect, I would take that one right back to the shop and exchange it. I carry powerlinks with me. Maybe putting a link on instead of trying to repair a weakened link would have been a better course of action.

With my current maintenance and replacement regime I rarely have any issue. I did break a chain last year. I put a powerlink in and rode it for another couple of months without additional issue. It was overdue for replacement per my 6mo rule so it wasn't a huge surprise that it busted on me.

Former Bike Wrench
    The SRAM Power Link rarely fails (I've never failed one myself) and with 9 speed chains, you should not reuse pins. In fact, only Shimano uses a pin at all for connecting their chains together (and its not reusing a pin, its a new one)

one chain, two sprockets
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    with 9 speed chains, you should not reuse pins.
    Thanks for that info "72". I'm riding vintage 7spd, or SS these days...

Tom P.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    This all makes me wonder what the record for the number of master links in a single chain is. I am currently running 2 on mine. I bought 2 971s a few months ago for 2 different bikes and both of them had stuck links that I had to remove and replace with masters. I also snapped one of them already. I usually get about year out of the HG93s with an average of 5-6 rides a month.
    Big guys need bikes too!

29 some of the time...
    Man, some of you guys just have terrible luck with chain or something

I can usually get a year if I need to without issue, but I prefer to replace sooner to avoid complication on the trail

Underskilled
    I am sure we get this thread every other day.

I have now snapped my 5 ride old PC-951 3 times.
    PC-991 cross step a couple of times in a year

I have NEVER EVER snapped a KMC chain, all clydes just buy KMC

just along for the ride
    +1 on KMC best chain for the $ and they come with a quick release link, Shimano are very good too but more $, sram is no good for big peps!

Former Bike Wrench
    FYI-Shimano HG53 and 73 chains are made by KMC

Making fat cool since '71
    "Proof"? There are none. I've used just about every SS and 9 speed chain and they all break. I tend to now run KMC on the geared bikes and Sram PC1 on my SS but frankly don't care if it's the other way around. I just grab a chain at the shop every few months.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I though that id broken a chain on a night ride last night. I got off the bike and had a look to find that the 17 tooth had snapped in half on the cassette.

It was a SRAM PG980.

Anyone else broken a cassette before? I havent seen it in my 9 years of riding.

Underskilled
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    FYI-Shimano HG53 and 73 chains are made by KMC
    Yep and as they are so bad they wouldn't sully their name my putting it on the chain.

The X9 silver is the one I have been using and is unbreakable.
    The gold is probably better but beyond my budget