mtbr member

Clyde-Proof 29er Wheelset???

6'4 279lbs building a Surly KM. Riding some pretty rough XC. This is my 'home' trail.

Captain Underpants
    36 hole rims/hubs. Hopes are nice and reasonalby priced.

Dt Swiss Champs or comps for spokes.

Sun RhynoLite or possibly Kris Holm rim if you can live with the weight. Also check the WTB DD Freeride rim.

Have them built by an experienced wheelbuilder (or someone with a lot of experience building 29er rims, if you can)

NMBP
    I have a year and a half on Rhynolites, DT Comp spokes and DT 440 hubs. No problems at all and I'm a clyde also.

29er Geek
    I have two sets of wheels for my Sinister...one geared and one SS. The rear SS wheel is a stock WTB SPeedDisc All mountain with the Single Duty hub (uses the same shell as their 150mm DH rear hub). This wheel along with it's front counterpart have been abused and are dandy (impressive for a 32hole setup...) I run the same front wheel with a different rear for geared. My rear wheel is a Salsa Delgado Disc 36h, laced with DT's to a Ringle Abbah. The Hub is normally a thru-axle setup, but I'm running an NYC Freeride Stepdown axle.

The Hub rocks. The rim sucks. Very un-impressed by how quickly it went out and how badly it's just whooped now (3 rides...I'm 220 and am aggressive....) Now granted the Salsa rim certainly never claimed to be an all mountain type deal. I built the wheel up at the last minute when the frame was finished as my SS dropouts were not done yet. Oddly enough, I love the bike setup 1x9 and will leave it that way. I'll be testing a set of Mavic CrossMax 29ers next.

Here's a pic of me testing the 29er platform at the Skid Contest at this years Pedrosfest...(I was going for that frank poncherello/john Baker skid dealio

unityhandbuilt

mtbr member
    I am 230 lb, using HALO Freedom Disc with Hope Pro II fornt and Rohloff at the rear,
    Not using it for long enough but so far they hold very well, take a look at these.

banned
    Well most of you would tell me that at 285 before gear that the wheelset I am riding is too light. However, I have had no trouble at all with CK hubs, straight gauge spokes and, get this, Salsa Delgado Disc rims. Been riding them since last September and they have not wobbled out of true one time. I am totally happy with them although in hindsight I would probabley go with the Kris Holm rims and CK hubs if I were building up a wheelset today.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dropthehammer
    6'4 279lbs building a Surly KM. Riding some pretty rough XC. This is my 'home' trail.
    another rim to throw in the mix is the WTB DualDuty FreeRide (FR).

main thing is having a decent wheelbuilder, or buy 'em pre-built & retension 'em.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]