Thread: Clyde problem

Noob

Bonking ... not feelin' well Clyde problem

I know this may be the wrong place to start a thread, but it's been a comfort to get in with a group of people that share a common interest. Right now I’m in Northern MN, and it’s not even close to biking season yet. I know if I were a hard core guy I’d head out and riding the snowmobile trails and chance crossing places I’m not familiar with, but I’m not. Obviously it might just be a “cabin fever” type of thing, but I’m having a tough time this winter. I’ve put a bunch of more weight back on despite efforts to keep it off. It just creeps back and before I know it I’m back over 250#. It probably doesn’t help that I’m stuck in an office tied to a computer for 8-9 hrs. a day in a building with no windows or fresh air. I’m seriously starting to doubt myself, my choices in career, relationships, everything under the sun.

I’m not sure if I just need a vacation to get out and about, a change of scenery, a swift kick in the @ss or what, but I’m feeling pretty crappy right now and it’s only March. I try to get outside and do some skiing every now and again, but I find that even that doesn’t cheer me up. I guess I’m just looking for some advice from fellow big men to try and push through this time in my life. Any suggestions will be appreciated, sorry if I sound like a woman on this… Thanks in advance
    MTB Blog

There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Your bike is incorrigible
    Hey, I took the advice of some of the people from my area and went riding last month. It was really great, 38 degrees, overcast and blowing. The problem is that I strained a tendon during one of these rides, and now I'm having to lay off the bike for a few weeks. But you know what I do? I hike the trails that I usually ride. In fact, I just went out there today for a really long hike. The great thing about hiking trails you usually ride is that you get a completely different perspective. You begin to see new lines, new jumps, new stunts. So, if at all possible (and I realize you may not be able to hike if the snow is too deep), I say get out there and hike. Besides, it gets you in a little better shape for the biking season to come.

Figment of Imagination
    Try finding a workout buddy, or a few. Having someone to count on (or having someone expecting you) will help motivate you to get up and out. When I was training in highschool for biathalons (way before my Clydesdale days), I would schedule to meet my partner out on the road at a certain time. No amount of rain and sleet could keep me in bed at 6:00am Saturday Morning when I thought he was out there waiting for me.

Everytime I questioned going, I would meet him and he would always say "I would have bagged going out if I wasn't meeting you out here..."

The hard part is finding the partner....
    I may be crazy, but I'm not Stupid!

Noob

Great...

Yeah, that's the problem... I'm in a new place where I know only the people I work with... which isn't always the best.
    MTB Blog

There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    The way I see it is this, You have 2 choices.
    #1: Relocate/Move to a warmer climate were you can ride and enjoy the outdoors year round. Maybe a place were the winters are so brutal.
    OR
    #2: Pick yourself up and just get outside or maybe at least in a gym. A training buddy sounds like a great idea. This buddy could be a guy or a girl. As long as you motivate each other. Just stay far away from negative people. They are a instant buzz kill.
    Good luck and I hope the winter blues will quicky pass and never return.

mtbr member

Find a way

i am lucky enough to live in a place where winter only last about two weeks and even then it is definitely rideable (Deep South Texas 5 mins from Mexico). But I was thinking about your problem and I thought that the gym idea is great espically if you really like riding you can get into spining class, and I am not sure where you are from but most places have cycling communities where you can meet people who share your passion and push each other to get out there and ride snowmoblie trails. Hey if you get out there and ride in the crazy cold you can always brag about how hard core you are and also show off that you are losing weight even in winter.

There is always a way, don't give up, you have to push yourself.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

The Gym Helps Me

The gym helps me a great deal. I live in NE PA and the winters can get a little long. This past winter I gave myself some fitness goals and go to the gym here at work and try to improve my cardio for biking. I just started to get out a couple of weeks ago when it got really warm and was amazed at how well I did in 3 inches of mud. I went out a few times this winter, but basically there was three months that I wasn't riding.

It colder again (but atleast 40) and I will be going out by myself today. I don't really like riding in anything colder, but damn I dream of riding.

I hear you though. Your much longer winters would get me down too. Just give yourself a goal and work towards it, that way when you do get out on the bike your first ride will not be that usually exhausting and sometime discouraging ride.

Sorry, I sound more depressing that inspiring...

You could probably get some good sales on winter gear right now and then get out there!

Ken