Thread: clyde pedals

mtbr member

clyde pedals

I've got a race face diablos crank set. I'm on my 3rd set of CB Malletts.

It seems since the crank is so stiff the pedals just don't hold up. btw I'm 6'7 and 330lbs

is there a tougher pedal. obvioulsy I'm not worried about the weight I do want a clip/style though

Thanks

Steve

mtbr member
    Wow, you've got a challenge. Where do the mallets fail? Checking out CB's web site the spindle is cromemoly... Their downhill (but no clip) is forged cromemoly steel, this is much stronger! I personally have the eggbeater SL that has a forged staineless steel spindle. This spindle seems 'stronger'... You whould call CB they are pretty cool and should be able to help you out....

also check out the time z pedals..

mtbr member
    I've been using Shimano PD-M545 pedals for the past year. They've held up great under my 225 lbs., but then I'm just riding XC. My previous pedals were CB Mallets, I stopped using them because they kept squeeking and needing maintance, then the little tiny nut that holds the pedal onto the spindle stripped out.

Fat, but working on it...
    I'm running Crank Bros. Candy C's and going into my third season with them. Not sure exact mileage, but at least 3000 and they are still going strong.

mtbr member
    TIME ATAC XS all the clydes in the LBS use this pedal with zero problems

Freshly Fujified

Atac Alium here

My Aliums work well at 250. I'm curious as to where the Mallets are failing also.
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I'm a bike patrol officer and mounted CB Mallet C's on both my Trek Police bike and Trek 6500. After about 2 months the bearings failed on my Police bike which gets average 100 mi a week. I called CB and they stated that they had a run of bearings that went out with too little grease and promptly sent me new bearings at no cost to me. I was impressed with their customer service. We'll have to wait and see how long these bearings last. No problems with the pedals on my 6500. For reference I'm 6'6" and 275(310 with duty gear).