Thread: Clyde Pedals??

mtbr member

Clyde Pedals??

Hi y'all

I'm looking for the longest & widest platform pedals for my bike. I wear size 15 shoes and it's been tough to find pedals that really feel good to me. My biggest issue is the width, so I prioritize that above length because most platforms are plenty long. They don't all provide measurements so it's difficult to compare. So far I'm looking at the Crank Bros Stamp and VP Harrier.
    Los Angelino looking to escape the clamor.

mtbr member
    Pedaling Innovations and don't look back!

https://pedalinginnovations.com/?gcl...oaAkqXEALw_wcB

Mine have been going strong for almost two years. They sell rebuild kits too.

I don't get many rock strikes, but they have held up really well to the ones I have.

Combine these with some 510s and you will have a steady platform.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I have Crank Brothers "double Shot" weigh clip in on one side and are platforms in the other. I wear a 13 wide, so I have a similar problem. They do the job, though I'm a pretty tame rider in the terrain I tackle.

Yeah, I'm that a$$hole.
    The large CB Stamp and Harrier are 2 of the widest pedals your going to find. Azonic also has the Big Foot pedal, basically the Harrier with Azonic logo. Be sure you don't get the Harrier C, it has a smaller platform.

Other "large" sized pedals are the Deity T-Mac and OneUp aluminum/composites.

Not shitting on Pedaling Innovations while they are the longest pedal made they are very narrow at 95mm, esp when compared to a lot of newer "large" pedals.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2018 Diamondback Release 5C
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail

mtbr member
    Oneup composites fit my size 13 well. I think Kona Wah Wah 2's are even bigger.

Yeah, I'm that a$$hole.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy3220 View Post
    Oneup composites fit my size 13 well. I think Kona Wah Wah 2's are even bigger.
    Good to hear I just bought a pair of the OneUp Comps, I wear a size 12.

#THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Iíd be curious how the pedals mentioned in this thread compare to DMR Vaults. Indonít Need anything nearly as large as the men in this thread. But my brothers do. They wear sizes 14 and 15.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy3220 View Post
    I think Kona Wah Wah 2's are even bigger.
    I think Kona is the ticket and I don't have to spend $100.
    Los Angelino looking to escape the clamor.

Yeah, I'm that a$$hole.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Iíd be curious how the pedals mentioned in this thread compare to DMR Vaults. Indonít Need anything nearly as large as the men in this thread. But my brothers do. They wear sizes 14 and 15.
    DMR Vaults are 105x105mm. There are several reviews online comparing several of these pedals to one another. Vaults have won quite a few shootout reviews. They have a dual concave, super easy to rebuilt, parts readily available, super grippy, however not exactly thin by comparison to other pedals. Also the cages have a tendency to bend easily when hit on rocks.

#THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    I wear 11.5 4E, and ran Wellgo MG-1 Magnesium after reading a similar thread here..

Just a tough pedal, IIRC 105MM wide, low cost

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Ford View Post
    DMR Vaults are 105x105mm. There are several reviews online comparing several of these pedals to one another. Vaults have won quite a few shootout reviews. They have a dual concave, super easy to rebuilt, parts readily available, super grippy, however not exactly thin by comparison to other pedals. Also the cages have a tendency to bend easily when hit on rocks.

I wear size 12 shoes, and I'm pleased with the Vaults. I wouldn't go any narrower at this point (I used to, and my shoes would wrap around the outside edge of the pedal). For folks with size 14 or 15 shoes, I'd probably recommend going as wide as possible. Pretty sure I've seen a few pedals at 110mm wide and maybe a 115mm wide pedal. Can't remember them at this point, because I was also looking very strongly at both the ease and cost of rebuilds (Vaults are great on that front).

Here, diagonally!
    Size 14 Five-Tens here, and the One-ups are plenty wide.

When I ran clipless, I had to run extenders to keep from busting my ankles on the cranks.

mtbr member
    I just got some oneup composite pedals today..they are a lot longer than my old deity compounds.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Dmr vaults here. Size 13 5tens

Ibis Ripley LS x01 Factory

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    2017 Ibis Ripley LS Factory X01

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by astom22 View Post
    Pedaling Innovations and don't look back!

https://pedalinginnovations.com/?gcl...oaAkqXEALw_wcB

Mine have been going strong for almost two years. They sell rebuild kits too.

I don't get many rock strikes, but they have held up really well to the ones I have.

Combine these with some 510s and you will have a steady platform.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    +1 on astom22's recommendation. I also run that combination and I'm extremely pleased with them.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Only a small size 13 here, but super happy with my VP Harrier DH5 pedals. Purchased after scouring reviews and threads like this. BUT theyíre my first shot at flats so nothing to compare them to

mtbr member
    Since you've got lots of good recommendations already, I'll just throw out a recommendation for what NOT TO BUY...

I'm also a 275# clyde with sz 13 EE width shoes. Last year I bought a new set of Spank Spoon pedals in the 110mm width.

Initially the pedals were great and I really appreciated the extra width and support. Unfortunately, whether for weight savings or to get that ultra thin profile, the axle seems to not be up to the task of handling us big guys. I was out for a typical trail ride and as I was pumping my bike through a fast left hand berm, my right pedal made a loud cracking noise. A couple crank rotations later, the whole pedal fell off where the axle had snapped clean through. My LBS contacted Spank for me and they were kind enough to replace the pedals with a new set; but they still sit on the shelf as I can't trust them anymore. The Specialized 'Benny' pedals I've had on all my other bikes for several years continue to serve without a hitch.

Strange that the most expensive set of pedals I've ever bought are the only ones I've snapped the axle off on.

https://www.jensonusa.com/Spank-Spoo...BoCon0QAvD_BwE

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Loving my Kona Wah Wah 2 composite!

Plenty of platform for my size 14 FiveTens.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Shimano do their new pedals in 2 sizes. The larger one looks Clyde friendly.

one chain, two sprockets
    Sep 2008
    I donít think itís the LxW as much as it the shape of the platform. Iím a size 14 and have ridden platforms forever, like over 30 years. Anything in the 80-90mm square range seems plenty big, IF, it has a concave platform. If your shoe canít sink in then the studs wonít matter when a rock grabs your pedal. The other aspect is how you actually ride them, itís quite different from clipless and a little weight on the pedal is a good thing.

Iím riding a pair of 45Nrth I got a good deal on, not bad but the jury is still out. DMR vaults were my 1st choice til I found these. My other bike has old Funn Soljams...

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by one piece crank View Post
    I donít think itís the LxW as much as it the shape of the platform. Iím a size 14 and have ridden platforms forever, like over 30 years. Anything in the 80-90mm square range seems plenty big, IF, it has a concave platform. If your shoe canít sink in then the studs wonít matter when a rock grabs your pedal. The other aspect is how you actually ride them, itís quite different from clipless and a little weight on the pedal is a good thing.

Iím riding a pair of 45Nrth I got a good deal on, not bad but the jury is still out. DMR vaults were my 1st choice til I found these. My other bike has old Funn Soljams...
    Too narrow for me. As I said before, previous pedals (Blackspire Sub 4, 92mm wide) were so narrow that the outside edges of my shoes wrapped over the outside edge of my pedals. Not only was this unconfortable, it tore holes in the soles of my shoes where the outside edges of the pedals stopped. The extra width makes a huge difference in supporting my foot.

I agree with you on length, but I feel that width should match shoe width as closely as possible. Some manufacturers are starting to understand that.

And this is aside from any other differences between the pedals regarding traction and service (Vaults win on both of those, too). in the future, I won't be buying any pedals narrower than Vaults.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

one chain, two sprockets
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    I agree with you on length, but I feel that width should match shoe width as closely as possible.
    I hear what you say about uncomfortable width, but I've only encountered this with super soft (flimsy) soles, like Vans. I ride a sneaker-like hiking shoe with only moderate stiffness and don't seem to be sensitive to the dozen different pairs of pedals in my garage.

I measured my 45Nrth pedals and they are ~90Lx100W.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by one piece crank View Post
    I hear what you say about uncomfortable width, but I've only encountered this with super soft (flimsy) soles, like Vans. I ride a sneaker-like hiking shoe with only moderate stiffness and don't seem to be sensitive to the dozen different pairs of pedals in my garage.

I measured my 45Nrth pedals and they are ~90Lx100W.
    Shoes were regular Freeriders, so on the flexier side. But not nearly as bad as vans

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Also size 14- I use One UPs and Wah Wahs. I'm sold on resin pedals too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Just picked up the Kona Wah Wah 2 composites...loving them so far. Size 13 EEE

Cactus Cuddler
    'Only' 13 too - I've just accepted that RaceFace Atlas are my go-to for everything. A bit pricy to put on a Diamondback Hardtail, but definitely the right one for my AM bike - but wow are they nice, and I can run comfortable shoes just fine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    TMacs for the win, wahwahs are wide too