President, CEO of Earth

Clyde Opinions on Fork, or Surly frameset purchase

Clyde Opinions on Suntour Fork, or frameset purchase
    I am considering getting a new frame to replace that of my heavily modified elderly CCM Torino 76, which I believe has a serious corrosion issues - I already brazed a patch over a split in the DS seatsaty, and the other day I noticed the NDS chainstay has a 7" long line of rust showing through the paint that I believe to be the seam of the tube.

THe LBS in the next town has a 23" (XXL) 2011 Specialized Rockhopper Comp with sliding rear dropouts and a SR Suntour XCR fork and basic Tektro hydraulic disk brakes for a good price, and I think this would make the perfect platform for my Alfine 8 drivetrain. THe Rockhopper comes with (I think) Alivio components, which are not bad, but I wouldn't trust the Specialized brand freehub so I would likely never use the bike in its stock configuration.
    But my main concern is the Suntour fork. I weigh ~260 lbs right now (dropping weight since I changed my diet to deal with my type II diabetes diagnosis) and I ride technical singletrack pretty often, and I would likely want to use the new bike for that purpose as well.

The other option would be a Surly Ogre frameset and the balance of parts would come out of my fairly extensive half-built bike collection. A couple of parts I would still have to buy. This option would leave me with a rigid drop bar adventure mtb, which could nicely compliment my fleet that already includes a front suspension Ti mtb.

I probably have a few months or more before the Torino 76 bites the dust completely, (and I may just wind up fixing whatever goes wrong if and when that happens), but do any of you have any opinons on the Suntour fork and its suitability for an aggressive clyde in real off-roa conditions? What about the Surly frame?

Any and all opinons welcome.
    "Newfoundland dogs are good to save children from drowning, but you must have a pond of water handy" - Josh Billings

Former Bike Wrench
    The XCR is a recreational level fork at best and the 30mm stanchions are going to be pretty flexy. You'd best served to swap it or sell it and get something better (or go with a rigid fork).

President, CEO of Earth
    I kind of figured. THe parts on the bike are kind of 'low end' for the price, IMHO, so it makes sense. THe only review with a mention of the fork's ability to support a heavy rider stated that the spring was for lightweights only, and I couldn't find any mention of heavier aftremarket springs.

If I have to buy a separate fork it pretty much eliminates the advantage of buying a complete bike vs. a frameset.
    "Newfoundland dogs are good to save children from drowning, but you must have a pond of water handy" - Josh Billings

mtbr member
    Go with the Ogre. It sounds like you're going to be doing a frame-up build anywyas.

President, CEO of Earth
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    Go with the Ogre. It sounds like you're going to be doing a frame-up build anywyas.
    It certainly looks that way. If I was to wnt the Ogre with disk brakes then it would be more expensive than buying the Spec, but if I build it up with on-hand parts and rim brakes The Ogre is cheaper.

I will start saving my money and do my best to squeeze the last bit of life out of the Torino 76 by spring.

mtbr member
    You say that but there's nothing cheap about tossing out a pair of wheels because of cheap hubs, selling a cheap fork because it cant handle your weight, and ditching the drivetrain because you want to add an IGH wheel.

Sounds like the only things you'd be keeping on the Speshy are the cockpit and brakes. Tektro brakes are nothing to right home about and BB7s and comparable hydros are cheap.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Looked at a Karate Monkey?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    Looked at a Karate Monkey?
    Fun bike. It was my first 29er. Kind of rode like a bus compared to my Kona King Kahuna.