mtbr member

To Clyde or not to Clyde. That is the Question.

Well guys, I am coming to the end of my weight loss journey and I have to decide what it is I want to be. I have been with a trainer for two years and he has done a fantastic job of helping me build a bunch of muscle mass to metabolize my fat while letting me eat almost anything I want. He has also taught me that the amount of mass I maintain is a choice. I can choose to be a skinny 160 pound flyweight or a 200 pound bruiser. I am at 210 right now. I still have a little bit of a belly to lose, but I need to decide my path so I can train appropriately. My bike is up to the task. I beat it at 270 and took everything I could give it and came back for more. I guess I would like some feedback from those that have ridden while skinny and also while large and fit. Which is more fun?

Thanks in advance,
    Friz

Kick Start My Heart

Re: To Clyde or not to Clyde. That is the Question.

Height?
    Personally, at 6'1", 229, I am aiming for 205 bruiser.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by davez26 View Post
    Height?
    Personally, at 6'1", 229, I am aiming for 205 bruiser.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    5'11"

mtbr member
    damn that's crazy, at 6'3, if im below 200 pounds I have no muscle mass and look sick..
    Rockhopper 29er

-FSA Carbon handlebars, stem, & seatpost
    -2011 Rockshox Reba
    -Stan's Flow Wheelset
    -Ergon Grips

Super Clyde
    I have no desire to be that skinny, the lowest I ever want to go is 200lbs. Having said that, you need to be comfortable in your own skin. If you feel like you'd be comfortable at 160lbs. then go for it!

mtbr member
    When I started riding I was 6' and weighed in the mid 180's ..Years have past and I am now 5'11 and about 235. Some of the weight is muscle mass, some of it is fat. I have lifted weights my whole life and I can tell you it is hard to stay thin by lifting weights. It can be done but it is a full time job with long periods of lifting and very carefully watching your diet. From my perspective I am now focusing on eating healthy and getting more aerobic exercise. I would love to be under 200 again and throwing a bike around is a lot more fun when your not a heavy weight.
    When you've seen someone rupture their scrotum on a bike you won't take the standards for top tube clearance lightly!

jae
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by friz View Post
    I guess I would like some feedback from those that have ridden while skinny and also while large and fit. Which is more fun?
    I've not ridden while "skinny", but I am down to 190 from 235. 6'1". I decided to slim down because I don't have the time to stay fit enough to make riding at 235 fun for me. When I was 235 and riding 12+ hours per week (fat but reasonably fit aerobically, call it 8/10 on my personal fitness scale), I had fun and my absolute performance was fair. But as my aerobic fitness dropped down to 4/10 (maybe 3-4 hours per week riding), 235 just plain sucked in terms of my performance and that made riding much less fun. Now, at 190 and 4/10 fitness, I'd say I easily equal my performance at 235 and 8/10 fitness. For me and with the time I'm able/willing to dedicate to fitness, slimming down has definitely been the right choice. I'm shooting for somewhere around 170 as a goal, which will still leave a healthy amount of fat on my not-very-muscular build.

mtbr member
    I graduated Army Basic at 200 lbs. (Anyone who ever experience 13 weeks of July-August SUCK at Ft Sill, OK would understand.) I was down to 6 pack abs, so I believe losing anymore weight would have been at the expense of lost muscle mass. Were I to drop down to 170, I'd look like something that played as an extra in a prison camp movie.
    At 5'11-6', right now I'm about 215. My goal is to get back down to that 200 lb weight.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback. 160lbs is probably a bit extreme, but I do think I want to shoot for somewhere under 200.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I'm in the same range as most of you. I Started out at 265, and I am now 222 and 6'2 1/2. I would like to lose maybe another 15 lbs max, but do not want to lose muscle. My cardio is pretty good for my age, and at over 50 yo, I ride about 30 miles of Mtn per week...

turtles make me hot
    I'm a hair under 6'5"... Currently 260. When I met my wife, I was dieting and exercising heavily. I looked great at 220. I got myself down to 209 and was told by her to stop as I had no ass. I'd be happy to be 225 again.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I am 6'1" and just a hair under 200. I used to ride at 180 lbs. I would love to be that weight again. I just felt lighter and quicker on the bike. I can't afford to buy all new clothes so I'm shooting for somewhere between 190-195.

mtbr member
    Definitely "to Clyde! Haven't you read the Clyde glossary? You don't want to be 160...even if you ride 8 hours a day, everyday; you still spend 16 hours as just a regular dude. Who wants to be a 160lb twerp anyway?

Me: 6'0 stout @ 263 down from 277, shooting for 220 or maybe 215. We'll see when I get there.

turtles make me hot
    Nothing makes my friends laugh harder than when we ride and come across guys anywhere from 17-22 coming the other way. In the cold weather when I'm all ninja'd out in my balaclava, they get a look of horror and move aside. It is kinda funny.
    In reality, I'm not a trail hog. I try to move over as far as possible. I guess I do kinda take up a lot of real estate. I know we wouldn't get the same effect if I weighed 180.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by friz View Post
    I can choose to be a skinny 160 pound flyweight or a 200 pound bruiser. I am at 210 right now.
    Have you considered splitting the difference?

If you look around...you won't find very many endurance athletes over 200 lbs. In fact... only a very few pro cyclists have weighed more than 170. Miguel Indurain, and perhaps a few sprinters are the only ones that come to mind at the moment.

The lighter you are (assuming you are remaining fit), the faster you will climb, the better you will feel, the longer you can ride, and (more than likely) the longer you will continue to ride.

I am 63 and down to 205 from 235 last year, by dieting, riding, and working out on my bowflex. I can ride much better than at 235, but I can also remember what it was like at 180, which is my goal.

180 is still a decent "bruiser' weight, even for a 6 footer. And you will have more quickness with the lighter body weight.

Something else to consider. As you age, you stress bones, joints, and the disks between your vertebrae. The heavier and more powerful you are...the more stress. At 235 I was partially crippled with back and hip pain. At 205...huge difference. The issues haven't gone away, but the pain has lessened significantly with the weight loss.

Just some things to consider.

turtles make me hot
    VERY True! As I lose weight, my feet, hips and knees all hurt less.
    I like turtles

DFMBA.org

To Clyde or not to Clyde. That is the Question.

Quote Originally Posted by Dung Hopper View Post
    I am 6'1" and just a hair under 200. I used to ride at 180 lbs. I would love to be that weight again. I just felt lighter and quicker on the bike. I can't afford to buy all new clothes so I'm shooting for somewhere between 190-195.
    I'm in the same boat, exactly. My ride is more spirited with even a 3 pound weight drop. I want to get to 190 and stay there.

Sent from my mountain bike while crashing.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    My ride is more spirited with even a 3 pound weight drop.
    Thanks for writing that. Worth remembering before reaching fpr that second helping or a bowl of ice cream.