mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Clyde Needs Help Selecting A Bike.

I am 5'9" down to 350# from 386# at Christmas.
    I am trying to get back into riding and have a couple rides but want a Mountain Bike.
    My current rides are
    2013 Trek Ion CX Pro
    (Fantastic bike, but I need to be close to 300# to feel safe on it)
    2010 Trek Navigator 3.0
    (Stout bike but very difficult to get miles on, not efficient at all)

I also want to ride back roads and trails until I get down around the 300# mark.

Do I look for a 26 or 29er?
    Can I get a bike around the $1000.00 mark that will hold up if I take it easy.

I do have a Park Wheel truing machine, so I can keep the wheels true.

What would you buy in this price range and weight range.

mtbr member
    26 or 29...personal preference. One's not better suited for you because of your weight then the other.

What's wrong with the Trek Ion? I'd ride that thing. I don't think you should have anything to worry about...if it's the fork then upgrade it for a fraction of the cost of a new bike. Wheels...same thing. Upgrade them. I mean if you just want a new bike...that's a different story but honestly I don't see what's wrong with the Ion. I was riding an Allez on the road at 320 pounds and it never let me down. Just scale your riding to your ability and comfort level.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    26 or 29...personal preference. One's not better suited for you because of your weight then the other.

What's wrong with the Trek Ion? I'd ride that thing. I don't think you should have anything to worry about...if it's the fork then upgrade it for a fraction of the cost of a new bike. Wheels...same thing. Upgrade them. I mean if you just want a new bike...that's a different story but honestly I don't see what's wrong with the Ion. I was riding an Allez on the road at 320 pounds and it never let me down. Just scale your riding to your ability and comfort level.
    Wheels are 18 hole front and 24 back.
    I may upgrade the wheels but it may cost almost as much as a decent Mountain Bike. I have no doubt I will get down to the 300# mark, and know thats what that bike was rated at.

I also prefer to get off the beaten path a little until I shed a little more weight.
    2013 Specialized Carve Comp
    2013 Trek Ion CX Pro
    2010 Trek Navigator 3.0

mtbr member
    You can get a good clyde worthy set of wheels for your bike for around $250-300. Check into some hand built 32 hole H Plus Son Archetypes on Shimano hubs on ebay for less than $300 shipped. Then your set.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    You can get a good clyde worthy set of wheels for your bike for around $250-300. Check into some hand built 32 hole H Plus Son Archetypes on Shimano hubs on ebay for less than $300 shipped. Then your set.
    I did not see the wheels you mentioned, I did see these would they work?
    Velocity Deep V Double Wall

I am also still looking for Mountain Bike suggestions in case I go that route.
    2013 Trek Ion CX Pro
    2010 Trek Navigator 3.0

mtbr member
    They would work. I'd prefer the Archetypes though because they are a really stout 23mm wide rim and the Deep V is a 19mm. You can contact velomine on ebay and they should be able to get you the Archetypes on Shimano hubs. They had them a few days ago...must have sold them.

Far as a mtn bike...I enjoyed my time on the Specialized RockHopper 29er I had for a couple seasons. I paid $750 and it held up pretty good. No complaints.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    They would work. I'd prefer the Archetypes though because they are a really stout 23mm wide rim and the Deep V is a 19mm. You can contact velomine on ebay and they should be able to get you the Archetypes on Shimano hubs. They had them a few days ago...must have sold them.

Far as a mtn bike...I enjoyed my time on the Specialized RockHopper 29er I had for a couple seasons. I paid $750 and it held up pretty good. No complaints.
    Thanks, I may be able to do both, get a RockHopper and the wheels.
    would not hurt having a back up bike since the LBS is 40 miles away.
    2013 Trek Ion CX Pro
    2010 Trek Navigator 3.0

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    A decent MTB is a lot more $$$ than a wheel upgrade. You have no need for those 18/24 spoke wheels. Just sell them to help finance new wheel build

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2012
    2 cents worth..... I bought an airborne goblin a couple of years ago and am reasonably happy with it.... Happy enough i would buy again/recommend it..... Of course, that opens up the whole "local vs. online" debate........ It runs about $1200 but for the x7 2x10 groupset, it is worth going a couple hundred above what you said.... I am currently 250 and it has held up well beneath me doing some rock gardens, single track, and fire roads..... The wheels have held up surprisingly well

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Re: Clyde Needs Help Selecting A Bike.

I just picked up a XL Scott Scale 970.At 6'7" 320lbs down from 356 I was also looking for a stout 29er in the $500-1k range and msrp on it was $1, 100. The shop I got my bike from said I won't have any issues out of the Scott at my current weight as long as I don't do big drop offs or jumps.With that being said they told me the wheels are the weak point but if I take it easy I should be fine and my only worry would be a pinch flat because of my weight.

mtbr member
    Just keep the tire pressure at the high side of what the tires say on the side. Most likely around 60psi. Makes the ride a little rougher but prevents pinch flats. At 320# you shouldn't have issues running at high psi.