mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Clyde looking for a strong budget wheelset

I just got myself a 2010 Anthem X3 and I'm loving it! However, I can see these wheels are not going to last long at all (Mavic 117 & cheap Shimano hubs). One ride and they were both slightly out of true. I know they need to be trued and tensioned after an initial break in, but ONE ride!
    I've been using Ryno Lites with XT hubs for the past 4 years with no problems. Love these wheels but I hate the ugly silver brake pad section on an otherwise all black wheel. So I'm looking for a disc specific wheelset that is similar. I found some Sun Single Track wheel set below that I'm considering:

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...t.aspx?sc=FRGL

Are there any other suggestions on a decent wheelset in this price range? I looked at Crossrides but I'm not too sure about them. The look great, but do they really hold up as well as a Sun wheel set? And how difficult are they to work on. I just like stuff that works. Suggestions would be appreciated.

$200 range
    I'm 250lbs, 6' 2"
    Mostly XC and technical decsents. Nothing crazy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I have a rear Sun Single Track on my 26 and it's held up fine. I'm ~240lbs and ride em rough over SEPA rocks & roots.

Former Bike Wrench
    Handbuilt and solid

$155-$175 depending on the color or spokes and nipples you want

http://www.bicyclewheelwarehouse.com.../prod_141.html

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    Handbuilt and solid

$155-$175 depending on the color or spokes and nipples you want

http://www.bicyclewheelwarehouse.com.../prod_141.html
    NICE find! Thanx for the info. I'll have to check them out after I do a bit of research on a proper wheel for my size and use.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by shwndh
    NICE find! Thanx for the info. I'll have to check them out after I do a bit of research on a proper wheel for my size and use.
    Go ahead and do your research, but IMHO, mtnbiker72 nailed it. That is the proper size wheel for you and for the budget constraints you have, and I don't think you can beat it. The Mavic EN321 will take any big boy beating you can give it on an Anthem and isn't over the top heavy for your situation. It's got a decent width which will give your tires more volume and less 'squirm'. At your size, I would be running 2.2" or 2.3" width tires.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj
    Go ahead and do your research, but IMHO, mtnbiker72 nailed it. That is the proper size wheel for you and for the budget constraints you have, and I don't think you can beat it. The Mavic EN321 will take any big boy beating you can give it on an Anthem and isn't over the top heavy for your situation. It's got a decent width which will give your tires more volume and less 'squirm'. At your size, I would be running 2.2" or 2.3" width tires.
    Yea, the price is unbeatable, but I've been trying to get a good idea of how strong these EN 321 wheels are in comparison to the Ryno Lites and the Sun Single Tracks. I've read there's a difference between the newer 321's and the older ones - with the newer ones not being as strong. I'll keep reading, but I think he hit it on the head as well if they're as good as the Sun rims. I'm cool with XT hubs, been using them for years and I've not had problems.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by shwndh
    Yea, the price is unbeatable, but I've been trying to get a good idea of how strong these EN 321 wheels are in comparison to the Ryno Lites and the Sun Single Tracks. I've read there's a difference between the newer 321's and the older ones - with the newer ones not being as strong. I'll keep reading, but I think he hit it on the head as well if they're as good as the Sun rims. I'm cool with XT hubs, been using them for years and I've not had problems.
    Singletracks are pretty burly and Rhyno Lites are known to be pretty sturdy too. They say a picture is worth 1,000 words, so here are a few showing what my 190lb+ son puts his EN321 rims through:

If you think you can punish a wheel more than this on an Anthem, well more power to you. Get some MTX33's and knock yourself out!

WI. Big Boy MTBer
    deleted.. misread 1st post
    '11 Giant Revel frame / full rigid Surly 1x1, MAVIC, Continental, Bontrager, Milwaukee

NO SHOX

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Do you think this deal will stick around for a few more paychecks?

A Clyde worthy disk wheelset is next on my upgrade list (07 Epic with stock wheels & v-brakes). I just got my SLX crankset in yesterday & working on trays for a roof top rack. Wifey might kill me if I do the wheels too.

Back in the saddle
    go with Rhyno Lites and be happy. I've never bent 'em and I've been 4 feet off the ground before at 275 lbs. They can take it. Make sure the spokes are right.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Here is some rhyno lites with shimano LX hubs, $120
    http://www.bicyclewheelwarehouse.com...-/prod_51.html
    rhyno lites with XT disc hubs, $145
    http://www.bicyclewheelwarehouse.com...-/prod_53.html

WI. Big Boy MTBer
    Absolutely!! I am 245# and have yet to hurt my Rhyno Lites!!
    '11 Giant Revel frame / full rigid Surly 1x1, MAVIC, Continental, Bontrager, Milwaukee

NO SHOX

R.I.P. DogFriend
    My biggest issue with Rhyno-Lites are that they can be a bear to mount tires on, but they are pound-for-pound quite robust and inexpensive.

Underskilled
    I have always been impressed with Halo equipment for hard wearing, well made wheels.

The Halo Freedom factory made wheelset is exceptionally strong, fast rolling and good looking. They are also the stiffest wheels I have ever ridden.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

shawn lichtfuss
    I always thought azonic outlaws where a decent wheelset at a good price & could take some clyde abuse.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Still on the fence between these too. Another guy in the AM forum is going through the same decision process. I'm leaning towards getting the Rhyno Lites again for the simple fact that once you buy them and break them in, you don't have to worry about them at all. And I rarely see anyone complain about this rim. They're just ugly. I don't want the silver sidewall, but I guess I could live with it.

The Mavics look better though. I'd just be pissed if they don't hold up as well. Have to make this decision soon.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Any perspective on the SOS wheelsets that Bicycle Wheel Warehouse has? Their price for those on some XT hubs has caught my attention.

I was also thinking about the Mavic Crossmax, but they cost a bit more.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by shawn lichtfuss
    I always thought azonic outlaws where a decent wheelset at a good price & could take some clyde abuse.
    I watched a clyde friend of mine fold one up on a little nothing kicker. Only a few weeks old at that. Not impressed. JMHO.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj
    I watched a clyde friend of mine fold one up on a little nothing kicker. Only a few weeks old at that. Not impressed. JMHO.

I have a set of azonic and beat them religiously...never check for tension and have not had an issue for years....who knows how old they are...I bought them used for a $100. I primarily ride downhill and rocky tech (and not smoothly). I weight about 250# with gear.

They aren't the lightest. I'm trashed single tracks, rhino lights and MTX hoops (all the rear) - all made by sun...cracked the walls not at the weld....I had strip on the MTX's about 8" pull away from the rim at the fold......

I've always had good luck with Mavic's rims but not their hubs.

Suprisingly XT hubs hold up really well too

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Yep, it could have been a weak build.