mtbr member
    May 2007

Clyde looking for a new ride

OK guys,

Time for everyone's favorite type of post.....I want my first 29er. you see the top end of my budget in the title ($1200). I'm 6'7" 250lbs, live in south ms, so we don't have many "bomber" runs down here. rocky..rooty...twisty single-track for the most part. Also, our LBSs do not have any 29ers at all. And if they did, they for sure would not stock the larger sizes, i live in a town of short squaty folk (it is the south).

That being said, the bikes I have found to be interesting are below. Tell me why i should and or should not look into these cyclopods. $1200 dollar budget, but less isn't a bad thing.

Trek Cobia and Mamba in 23"

Kona Mahuna and Kahuna in 22"

Specialized Rockhopper Comp and Expert(little on the high end)

Redline Monocog and Cog Flight

There are more, but i must move on to my next client. I've seen the windsor's and motobocanes and my buddy has talked me out of them, though i do like the build specs for the price.....anyway, please make some more recommendations to make my decision a bit harder. I used to have a Giant Yukon XXL, loved that lil bike, but i'm in better shape now and want to turn some big wheels.

Thanks
    Last edited by giant_kyle; 03-31-2011 at 01:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I just got a 22 inch Rocky Mountain Vertex for $950 from HucknRoll, unfortunately it was the last one. They were clearing out the 22's and that was a smokin deal for my part of the world. My old bike was a 21 inch 2000 RM Oxygen. Standover is very close as the Vertex has more of a Top Tube slope. I'm 6'3" 250, and there is enough bike for a taller rider. Rockys have been good bikes for me and so far quite happy with it.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Cool. I'm heading to Birmingham this weekend, should have more to look at in person there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I picked up a Trek Mamba a couple weeks ago and I am very happy with it. It's between the two models you have listed above. For the price I paid it was worth it to me.

All I can say is if you can find any you listed above try to ride as many as you can. I must have rode 15 different bikes before I decided.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I meant Mamba. None of our LBS carry 29ers. and the few in proximity 75 miles or so, dont carry any above the L size.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    That's tough, well ride what you can find. The Mamba is a great choice IMHO.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I have the GF X-Caliber and love it. When I bought it I actually went to buy the Cobia. I think that is a nice bike. I looke at Specialized at the time and thought the Trek felt better (this was last year; 2010 models). Did not ride the other ones so can't help there. Although my wife has a Kona hardtail and I like their bikes.
    2010 GF X-Caliber
    2010 Trek 2.3
    1997 Ventana ECDM (tandem)
    1996 Mantis Pro Floater

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Cobia 23" is in transit. let's do this