mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Clyde looking for clydeworth bike/fork...HELP!

Heres the deal.

6'3" 310 been riding on a 20" Diamondback Topanga Comp w/ Judy TT fork. I know the fork is crap so i had a U TURN put in with a stiffer spring . That is the setup I am rocking right now. The overall frame seems too small, i'm not getting the a full extension when pedaling, also my foot hits the back tire when pedaling sometimes also my foot touches the ground sometimes anyhow the LBS said that they are looking into finding me a 22" topanga comp but so far theres no luck. I have put about 100 dollars into that fork making it a UTURN I figure wait and see maybe they can get one but i would still have the JUdy as a fork.

I could walk in today and return it for a 06 diamondback Response sport 22" frame and be done with it. The components on the bike arent as good whereas it also has a square tapered crank but it does have a RST gila plus t6 120mm travel with 30mm sanctions.

If I do that I think I will be out the 100 from the u turn

HELP WHAT DO TYOU THINK?

Not because I'm fast.....
    You say you are not getting enough extension with the 20" frame, have you tried adjusting the saddle height by raising the seatpost? As for your shoes hitting the tire, it could be foot placement, the type of shoes you are wearing, the pedals you are using, the size of your feet, etc. I am 6'5" and have a 13" shoe size and if I wear running shoes when I am playing around on the bike, my shoes hit the chainstays. I wear cycling shoes and use clipless pedals when riding though.

As for the bike/fork issue, at your size, the bikes and forks you are looking at are just not going to perform well for your weight. I have had a lot of personal experience with the trial and error of bikes, components, forks, etc. over the past 10 years and my weight was only 250lbs. It's not so much the hardtail frames themselves, but the lower end forks are just way too cheap and way too flexy for big clydesdales. In addition, the machine built inexpensive wheels that come on these types of bikes will most likely have a short lifespan as well, especially if you are trail riding. I am not sure what your budget is, but if you can afford a more clyde friendly hardtail like the Kona Hoss or spring for a higher end fork that would be best.

The alternative would be to go with the Diamondback 22" frame and have the shop swap out the suspension fork for a rigid fork. Rigid forks can be ordered for around $50 or 60 and some have disc brake tabs too. The Dimension rigid disc fork is great and can be ordered through the QBP catalog at any shop! Riding rigid might not seem like a good idea now, but the bike will perform WAY better for you without a cheap pogo stick on the front. You could then save your money for a year or so and buy a nicer fork or better clyde-worthy bike. Riding rigid actually helps you become a better rider because you will learn to pick good lines on the trail and learn to float over the rocky stuff using your body as suspension. I have a 6" full suspension bike and two bikes set up rigid. I actually prefer riding rigid most of the time.

I know it's hard and frustrating at your size to find a bike that fits your needs on a budget, I have been there for sure. Seriously consider the rigid fork, I think you would be much happier. Good luck!

Freshly Fujified

No, no, no!

That Gila is NOT right for you, either. Let me show you a good option:

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkM...keTab=techspec

or this, but even with 32 mm stanchions, it's still coil/mcu fork:

http://www.konaworld.com/shopping_ca...0&parentid=253

This is about as good as it gets for a big guy like you right out of the box, and even this is pushing it. To it's merit, it has a pretty beefy frame, and a fork with 32 mm stanchions and dual coil. Unfortunately, someone your size probably needs a custom build. Anything less and you're going to sacrifice somewhere. Bottom line though, that RST Gila ain't gonna cut it!

Bob
    Last edited by Call_me_Clyde; 06-09-2006 at 12:17 PM.
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Mike, Unfortunately CMC is 100% correct. As Im sure you know, big guys gotta spend extra to get performance, and frankly, this is the same. As far as bikes go, better fit is more important than better fork. That said, as long as you stay on the road, the RST will function ok, but wont be very good. Once you hit dirt, its gonna be problems. No way arround that, and without going to a 1500+ dollar free-ride bike, you probably wont find a build that will work for you out of the box. If you can, trade for the better frame, and get a good fork. Then, move it from bike to bike as you get better/newer rides.

Matt