mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Listen! CLYDE lookin at a cheap bike...help.

hey all,
    been outa biking for a few years, and i'm looking to get back in. my last bikes were a Nishiki road bike and an FSR comp DH bike..

im 6', 260lbs and generally am fairly easy on bikes...though i suck at maintenence..lol

im gonna be working in Missoula, MT this summer so the bike needs to do the following...

-take me to work 5 days a week(bout 4miles roundtrip)
    -take me to the trails on the weekends...blue mountain i think is the name of the rec area.mostly single track, bit of technical stuff etc.

im looking to spend 200-350.00 on said bike so here are some ideas and questions...

Just an update...i ended up getting the Daimondback sorrento....very nice ride, comfy saddle, plush enough fork for my uses (70% commute, 30% trail) lifetime frame warranty and a 1 year free tune up, free parts/labor from any sports authority...i'm stoked!!....i've had a D.B. before and this one feels just as sturdy coming off rocks and curbs(i beat on it a bit on the test ride...hehehehe)

by the way, im 6'0", 265lbs, bout a 30" inseam, 18' frame height..

regards
    brian j.
    san diego
    Last edited by kodiak1232003; 06-20-2006 at 09:23 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I would recommend the Hardrock. Lifetime warranty on the frame, and it can take some abuse. The Trek is another great option, but I'm pretty partial to Specialzed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I would recommend the Hardrock. Lifetime warranty on the frame, and it can take some abuse. The Trek is another great option, but I'm pretty biased towards Specialzed.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    For a good price, check out www.performancebike.com and check out the Iron Horse Maverick Comp. It's on sale for liek $270-280, and it has disc brakes, 100 mm travel fork (spinner), and double walled rims.

Not bad.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    also, you might want to check out used steel frames. i ride a 98 trek 920 (higher end steel frame) and love it. the part specs on higher end steel stuff from trek was pretty good, and you can still find stuff to replace it if it breaks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    In that price range, I would only look at used bikes. For something you will be commuting and trail riding, you're going to want better components than what comes on ~$300 bikes...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by japollner
    also, you might want to check out used steel frames. i ride a 98 trek 920 (higher end steel frame) and love it. the part specs on higher end steel stuff from trek was pretty good, and you can still find stuff to replace it if it breaks.
    Another 920 rider. My old bike is also a 920 from 98. It was a very solid frame and held up well. I got a full suspesion ride this spring but still have it and its in good shape after quite a few years and many miles. It needed little maintenance up till last summer when the drive train wore out after lots of riding. The 4500 is also a solid frame and you might be able to find one of those slightly used in your price range (they are around 450 new).

Chris

mtbr member
    It may ultimately cost a little more than you intend on spending, but I cannot sing the praise of Leader Bikes enough- $89 frame for the 516H, spend another $35 w/leader and get the headset (it requires funky zero stack), then scour the web (bluesky.com, ebay, and jenson.com come to mind) for the rest.
    I have about 1.5k in mine, but I just built one for a buddy of mine for $400 using lower valued parts that is more than good. It is 7005 alluummininimm (i spell it like i say it, darn it) and a whole lot better quality than you would ever suspect at the price point. I have a C-Dale, a Jamis, and a K2 and prefer the Leader by a long shot. a very long shot.
    If you like I will spell out what components I used on my buddies- and the only real advantage I have on mine is the fork and brakes- i will be happy to email the specs to you..
    It is something you don't see everyday out riding, it is very solid for heavy dudes, the geo is great and it will be cheap to get into but allow much much room for future upgrades if you stick with it. I would happily throw my Leader at a Litespeed or any other topend hardtail and have no problems.... If you hid the name nobody would believe it cost so little in comparison. I have bought three of them- one is mine, one is my wifes (she says it is the best bike she has ever ridden, and she has ridden nothing but top end her whole life) and the one mentioned for my buddy.
    All that said, and I promise you I am not being paid by leader :-)

Keep The Rubber Side Down
    Always remember, you get what you pay for. You take the cheap approach, it may cost you in the end when the frame/components go.
    Some of my happiest memories in life took place on my bicycles. - Me

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    the trek 3700 has a lifetime frame warranty....seems like a good deal to me...i can always upgrade along the way, if i wanna keep the bike.

cheap = what i have

i need a bike for commuting in the next couple of weeks anyways.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    read first post for an update..thanks for all the input...check out diamondback...the sorrento comes in big sizes and has some competative components..plus has a lifetime warrany on the frame...cool colors, too.

regards
    brian