mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Clyde like Reba?

Am in the market for a new 29er fork. Found a good deal on a Reba XX with maxle. The max air pressure is 200 psi and was wondering if any 300lb+ guys have had good luck with the Reba and the air spring. If so, are you hovering right at the 200 psi mark and how are the seals holding up?

I'm Slow
    I'm running 29er Reba XX at 120mm @140 psi and I'm 270lbs naked. You should be fine.
    RideSAMBA.com Mountain Biking in South Alabama.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by paulrb02 View Post
    I'm running 29er Reba XX at 120mm @140 psi and I'm 270lbs naked. You should be fine.
    Wow! that's low pressure. I'm basically in the same boat....maybe 5 pounds lighter...and I run about 185-190# in my Reba. Are you pushing the marker band up to the stop all the time?

I'm Slow
    I was running 150 psi and I never got o-ring to the top maybe 75-80% of the travel, and I lost a little weight and I moved to 140 and I'm maybe using 90% of the travel now.

But there might be some frame geometry differences and that why we have different numbers.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I pulled the trigger, I've got an XX on the way. Will let you guys know how it works for this super clyde.

I'm Slow
    Also I had a Fox Talas 29er (same bike) and I could make that thing bend. I thought I was taking drops wrong at first, then I switched back to the Reba XX and realized it was the fork. A skinny person may not notice, but a clyde will.

I think you'll like the XX, I like mine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by paulrb02 View Post
    I was running 150 psi and I never got o-ring to the top maybe 75-80% of the travel, and I lost a little weight and I moved to 140 and I'm maybe using 90% of the travel now.

But there might be some frame geometry differences and that why we have different numbers.
    True. Might also be some differences in terrain. It can be semi-all-mountain around here.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Got the Reba XX installed this weekend and got my first ride in this morning. I'm running 190 psi in both the positive and negative chambers. I'm right at 320 lbs nekid right now. It rode really well and I like the remote lockout. I was surprised how much I used the lockout on climbs and really smooth sections. I think I'm really gonna like it. Didn't play with settings much but it seemed to run well with the rebound set right in the middle.

It definitely felt plusher than the my old Manitou Drake that I was running before the reba. The reba did feel a little bit flexier and didn't seem to track as well as the Drake. I wonder if the maxle just isn't as stiff as the Manitou thorugh axle with pinch bolts?

I'm Slow
    Yeah the XX drops all most of the adjustment controls. Sadly I don't really have hills or I'd be using the lockout more.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch1413 View Post
    Got the Reba XX installed this weekend and got my first ride in this morning. I'm running 190 psi in both the positive and negative chambers. I'm right at 320 lbs nekid right now. It rode really well and I like the remote lockout. I was surprised how much I used the lockout on climbs and really smooth sections. I think I'm really gonna like it. Didn't play with settings much but it seemed to run well with the rebound set right in the middle.

It definitely felt plusher than the my old Manitou Drake that I was running before the reba. The reba did feel a little bit flexier and didn't seem to track as well as the Drake. I wonder if the maxle just isn't as stiff as the Manitou thorugh axle with pinch bolts?
    Any new updates? PSI changes?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Yeah a few updates/issues that I've figured out. I commented on the stiffness and tracking of it compared to my old fork, I think that might have been due to my maxle loosening up and/or lower tire pressure. I didn't have the cam end of the maxle tight enough and it would unscrew itself as I rode. Got it tightened up and now have two rides on it without loosening up.

I am running a Maxxis Ardent 2.4 and it does rub every once in a while under hard torque, the Reba doesn't have awesome tire clearance but its working.

I have found on faster trails that I like running it locked with the floodgate at full open. Still soft enough to soak up a lot of bumps but it helps immensely with brake dive. Brake dive has always been an issue with me since I'm so big, but this seems to manage it quite well.

Still running 190 psi and it is holding air just fine. After reading a bit on dual air chamber tuning, i have just now started playing with air pressures. Only on round 1 though. With positive at 190, I bumped the negative up to 195. Haven't felt any difference but I'm not incredibly adept at tuning and feeling differences in suspension. I'm gonna try 200 negative and see what it feels like.

Overall I'm very happy with it, I'd highly recommend an XX or any other Reba for clydes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch1413 View Post
    Yeah a few updates/issues that I've figured out. I commented on the stiffness and tracking of it compared to my old fork, I think that might have been due to my maxle loosening up and/or lower tire pressure. I didn't have the cam end of the maxle tight enough and it would unscrew itself as I rode. Got it tightened up and now have two rides on it without loosening up.

I am running a Maxxis Ardent 2.4 and it does rub every once in a while under hard torque, the Reba doesn't have awesome tire clearance but its working.

I have found on faster trails that I like running it locked with the floodgate at full open. Still soft enough to soak up a lot of bumps but it helps immensely with brake dive. Brake dive has always been an issue with me since I'm so big, but this seems to manage it quite well.

Still running 190 psi and it is holding air just fine. After reading a bit on dual air chamber tuning, i have just now started playing with air pressures. Only on round 1 though. With positive at 190, I bumped the negative up to 195. Haven't felt any difference but I'm not incredibly adept at tuning and feeling differences in suspension. I'm gonna try 200 negative and see what it feels like.

Overall I'm very happy with it, I'd highly recommend an XX or any other Reba for clydes.
    Thanks. I've struggled with my Reba. I've had to go way higher on pressure than I would have expected. Now, I'm up to about 175+ and 165-. I weigh 255.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bluestatevirgin View Post
    Thanks. I've struggled with my Reba. I've had to go way higher on pressure than I would have expected. Now, I'm up to about 175+ and 165-. I weigh 255.
    I'm in the same ball park weight wise and I run 185+ and 185-. Nothing unusual at all about your numbers.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphic View Post
    I'm in the same ball park weight wise and I run 185+ and 185-. Nothing unusual at all about your numbers.
    Yeah, I'm creeping up to those pressures. I went out the other day at 175/170. Still thought the fork too soft at times. Think I'll try 185 next time out.

mtbr member
    I tried Petercarn's method of having more neg and pos, and it seems to work for others. Presently running 140+/150-, and I'm 230 lb loaded. Help dialing Reba

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by edley View Post
    I tried Petercarn's method of having more neg and pos, and it seems to work for others. Presently running 140+/150-, and I'm 230 lb loaded.
    I'm about 230 loaded as well. I'll have to try this combo out.

mtbr member
    I'm running a Reba on my Trek X Cal. I am 360 and have the pressure at 190. So far so good for me. It seems to be a good Clyde option.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    good info

mtbr member
    I'll post up since I was starved for info when I got mine last year on how to set it up for 280#. I love my Reba RLT. Here's what I've learned. I'm 280 naked, so pushing about 290 or so when loaded. I'm riding a 29'er hardrock hardtail and the fork at 100mm.

At first I read about everything I could find about tuning the fork. I'm experienced with dirt bike suspension tuning so I could kind of tell what was happening when riding. I started with this;
    + @ 150
    - @ 150
    Sag at 20%
    floodgate at 1.5 turns from full open
    Compression at 4 clicks or halfway open
    Rebound at 4 clicks from full fast

This set-up was great for small bump compliance, a little mooshy but pretty comfy up front. I wasn't getting any pedal bob but I do most of my climbing sitting. Problems I had with this was that the oring would almost always be at the top, which meant I was using all the travel. Had a little brake dive but really not that much but I prety much just ride XC. Rode it this way for 6 months, making a couple changes here and there but usually coming back to what I was callimg my softy settings.

Changed to this a few months ago;
    + @ 200
    - @ 200
    Sag at about 10%
    Floodgate @ 15 turns from full open, about halfway
    Compression @ 6 clicks
    Rebound @ 8 clicks from full fast.

This typically results in about 80% of the travel being used. It accomplishes what I wanted to accomplish in that the oring is not at the top after every ride. I was worried that with the softer settings it was always bottomed out and I worried about the long term affects of that, but now I worry about the seals and the 200# of pressure. I think the ride is better with more air but it is certainly stiffer.

A few things I've noticed, 5-10 psi change in either chamber is not noticeable at my weight. I think that changes of 25# or so are where clydes start to see effects.

Hope that helps someone. I'm going to change to a full open floodgate and a faster rebound setting with + @ 175 and - @ 200. Hopefully this will give some small bump compliance without bottoming out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nelsonccc View Post
    I'll post up since I was starved for info when I got mine last year on how to set it up for 280#. I love my Reba RLT. Here's what I've learned. I'm 280 naked, so pushing about 290 or so when loaded. I'm riding a 29'er hardrock hardtail and the fork at 100mm.

At first I read about everything I could find about tuning the fork. I'm experienced with dirt bike suspension tuning so I could kind of tell what was happening when riding. I started with this;
    + @ 150
    - @ 150
    Sag at 20%
    floodgate at 1.5 turns from full open
    Compression at 4 clicks or halfway open
    Rebound at 4 clicks from full fast

This set-up was great for small bump compliance, a little mooshy but pretty comfy up front. I wasn't getting any pedal bob but I do most of my climbing sitting. Problems I had with this was that the oring would almost always be at the top, which meant I was using all the travel. Had a little brake dive but really not that much but I prety much just ride XC. Rode it this way for 6 months, making a couple changes here and there but usually coming back to what I was callimg my softy settings.

Changed to this a few months ago;
    + @ 200
    - @ 200
    Sag at about 10%
    Floodgate @ 15 turns from full open, about halfway
    Compression @ 6 clicks
    Rebound @ 8 clicks from full fast.

This typically results in about 80% of the travel being used. It accomplishes what I wanted to accomplish in that the oring is not at the top after every ride. I was worried that with the softer settings it was always bottomed out and I worried about the long term affects of that, but now I worry about the seals and the 200# of pressure. I think the ride is better with more air but it is certainly stiffer.

A few things I've noticed, 5-10 psi change in either chamber is not noticeable at my weight. I think that changes of 25# or so are where clydes start to see effects.

Hope that helps someone. I'm going to change to a full open floodgate and a faster rebound setting with + @ 175 and - @ 200. Hopefully this will give some small bump compliance without bottoming out.
    Wow! Technical but great stuff! I need to look deeper into the fine tuning aspects. Thanks for this!
    "I'll sleep when I'm dead"
    - 2012 Trek Gary Fisher X Caliber 21"
    - 2007 Trek 4300 19.5"
    - 2000 Diamond Back FS

mtbr member
    I have a Reba RLT dual air 29er fork. I weigh about 270 and run it at 145+/ 150- with compression variable and bound set at medium. Seems fast and relatively supple enough. I like this fork a lot.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I love the Reba fork. Easily adjustable and stiff. It handles my 330 Lbs with ease.