mtbr member
    May 2011

For a Clyde, HT vs shock RS ?

You guy's who know and are large do they make a really good set up for a shock RE that works for 300 pound people and if they do who makes the best bikes with it.

Are the Zinn products made more stout for heavier people?

Thanks for help.

mtbr member

Well as far as the shock goes , from my research your **** out of luck. Trek mountain pikes are rated to 300 pounds and I know Lenz makes bikes stout enough for guys our size.
    Chances are .. You're full of !$@&?

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Good god man.... there is an entire thread dedicated to 300+ on full suspension.

Gerth is a bit misleading. The DRCV shocks from Trek require high pressures to fit a 300+. The non-DRCV shocks on the Fuel (the Superfly has a craptastic leverage ratio) work fine. Look to a Fuel EX6 26er or EX5 29er.

When I weighed this morning (that means not suited to ride), I hit 306. I personally ride a 2013 Specialized Camber Comp aluminum frame and love the bike. The max psi on the Monarch is 275. I run ~255 in it. Autosag does wonders. That said, I could not get away with an Epic and did not like the way the SJ-FSR felt.

Other bikes that work well.... Niner RIP9... Pivot 429... to name a couple.

The moral of the story.... full suspension is worth more than its weight in gold. You can ride one north of 300. You will need to spend some time shopping and find the bike that fits you though. test rides are key. As a big-un, you will need a good relationship with your LBS, they should take care of you and any warranty issues regardless of what you read.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Knight511 View Post
    Good god man.... there is an entire thread dedicated to 300+ on full suspension.

Gerth is a bit misleading. The DRCV shocks from Trek require high pressures to fit a 300+. The non-DRCV shocks on the Fuel (the Superfly has a craptastic leverage ratio) work fine. Look to a Fuel EX6 26er or EX5 29er.

When I weighed this morning (that means not suited to ride), I hit 306. I personally ride a 2013 Specialized Camber Comp aluminum frame and love the bike. The max psi on the Monarch is 275. I run ~255 in it. Autosag does wonders. That said, I could not get away with an Epic and did not like the way the SJ-FSR felt.

Other bikes that work well.... Niner RIP9... Pivot 429... to name a couple.

The moral of the story.... full suspension is worth more than its weight in gold. You can ride one north of 300. You will need to spend some time shopping and find the bike that fits you though. test rides are key. As a big-un, you will need a good relationship with your LBS, they should take care of you and any warranty issues regardless of what you read.
    I don't think I was misleading at all. Go ahead and call RS or Cane Creek and ask them. They are not rated for a 300+ guy. Yes you can get away with a DRCV shock as long as your leverage ratio is 2 to 1. But as Knight said test rides are the key
    Chances are .. You're full of !$@&?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for the help, Sasquatch said going full suspension can open some cans of worms compared to a good HT? I mostly ride street but jump stuff and make my own trails.