mtbr member
    Mar 2009

A clyde and his clipless pedals

I wanted to ask my fellow clydes a question. I am 6'1" and 345lbs...is this too much for clipless? I have a pair of wide Lake shoes and speedplay frog pedals...i'm just wondering with my weight...it looks like i'll snap those little itty pedals lol...any other big clydes have experience going clipless?

BIG and Bald
    I've been riding a pair of Time Atac Z's for the past 4 years with absolutely no problems at all and I've got you beat by 30-40lbs (depending on the time of year ). I've also riden them at as high as 400!!!

Good pedals, easy maintenence, super durability. Pricepoint.com typically has the best prices on them. IMO, avoid the Crank Bros. Mallets. These were my first pedals and I broke 3 pair in less than a year before I switched.
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="3"]Eat to Live[/SIZE][/SIZE]...[SIZE="3"]not the other way around[/SIZE]

Making fat cool since '71
    You may experience issues with bearings regardless of what pedals. Stay away fron Crank Bros though. I'm 255ish and have broken a few spindles and had reliability issues (they have great service though...). The ATACS are a good clyde choice. I've heard mixed reviews re:frogs and clydes.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    i'm rolling nashbars and not to far off your weight... got em used and they are still going strong (the old ritchey type models)... used entry level shimano spds in the past... i won't touch crank bros... but want to try out TIME pedals
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    I'm down to 260 from 280 last summer and I rode all summer on Crank Bros mallets with no problems. Sorry to hear others haven't had as good of luck - but glad to hear the customer service is good if I ever need it.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    i've read of to many issues... but prob the biggest thing was a guy I was riding behind... about 5 min into the ride guy prob just north of 200# steps on it in coming out of a turn and SNAP... i stopped with him (i was behind him afterall)... snapped the axle... and the pedal was still attached to his shoe lol... these where candy models i belive...

i'll stick to the heavier models that ive got experience with... SPD's work well for me ... if i lived in a pace that was super muddy i'd prob look elsewhere
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

I Have Cookies
    just stick to the spd's and you should be ok.....use em on all my stuff and I have a pair of 12 yr old LX's I roll with on my trail bike!
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I've ridden as heavy as 270 on Crank Bros and Times. Both were steel spindles. Never had a problem with either. Stick with a steel spindle and you will be fine.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Ive been riding Time pedals for eight year and havent had a problem.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'm not quit as big as you at 265 but I was concerned about weight and durability of pedals. I heard a lot of bad things about crank brothers when I was researching because that was what I originally wanted.

I went with Time's after some people i rode with and my LBS suggested them, I have had no problems at all with them and the transition to them was pretty easy. Clipping in with mud, never once had a problem

mtbr member
    Believe it or not I've run eggbeaters without any problems. It's time for a new set though and I think I am going in the Time Atac's direction from all the reviews....spd's have never been for me.
    [SIZE="3"]The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' --Ronald Reagan [/SIZE]