mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Clyde friendly shin guards?

I'm in the market for some shin/knee protection. My calf is about 18.5" and it seems most shin guards on list their straps up to 17". Looking for any suggestions or recommendations. Pricepoint lists a pair of Sette Impact shin guards under their clydesdale gear. Wasn't sure if that was my only choice.

mtbr member
    My calves are 18" and I use the Lizard Skins shin guards. I bought mine a loooong time ago but they still make them.
    http://lizardskins.com/products/view...&page_number=2

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I too have 18" calves and I wear 661 Veggie Shin wraps in XL. They are plenty big enough.

http://www.sixsixone.com/Catalog_661...f-9f1bbc354cbc

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    all right boys- here's where its at! Call LizardSkinz and talk to Brad- he's the manager. Tell him that you heard from Adrian Maurer that Lizardskinz can make clydeworthy pads, and that you want a pair. They're awesome, they fit huge calves (mine are 18+), and huger (is that a word?) Quads (mine are about 30 at the thickest). Brad can definitely hook it up. I don't know how much he charges for the modification, but it's a good job, and I don't remember being pissed about the price at all. If you're a big boy, go Lizardskinz for sure!

mtbr member
    Another vote for lizardskins. I have the knee/shin combo and they work great. I'm not sure what sized my calves are though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I already had my eye on the Lizard Skins Softcell knee/shin guard combo so now it looks like I'll be ordering them soon. My knees and shins are pretty banged up from learning to ride with clipless pedals. Seems like everytime I have to react quick and try and unclip I end up bashing my knee or shin on the frame or handlebars. So basically I need protection from myself!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    jsk- cool. One word of advice. Call Brad at Lizardskinz and tell him you need some clydeworthy stuff. You may pay a little more for them from Lizardskinz, but it's worth it to have the big boy straps and closures. Trust me on this one...

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    How about for tall riders? I need long knee/shin guards. Any help?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    What length shin are we talking about?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    From the top of my foot to the middle of my knee cap is around 21"

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Mine are only 19" approx and the 661 veggie shinwraps are a good fit.
    They might be a little short for your humungo legs though.

banned
    Apr 2009
    If you can't find for your size you could try soccer/football shin guards I guess.